Welcome to the VanDyke Software Forums

Join the discussion today!

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > General

Old 04-19-2019, 10:32 AM

Copying Buttons/Button-Bars between users?

I work with a team of people, all accessing the same servers and doing similar work. Is there any easy way to copy CRT Buttons and Button bars between users?

For example, I'd like to be able to open a button bar .ini file from another user and select the bar(s) or button(s) that I want to copy into my own button bar .ini file. I haven't seen an easy way to do this or make this possible.

Thanks
Old 04-19-2019, 11:01 AM
VanDyke Technical Support

Hi Reno,

Are they all using the same version of SecureCRT?

Coming in v8.6:

Changes in SecureCRT 8.6 (Pre-Beta) -- August 10, 2018
------------------------------------------------------

New features:

• Added the ability to export and import just the button bars.

It's not really recommended you copy/edit, etc. from the actual ButtonBarV#.ini file as the format is not guaranteed to be the same between versions. But if all your team members are using the same version of SecureCRT, you will find that file in your SecureCRT config folder. (You find the location of your config in the General / Configuration Paths category of Global Options.)

If you would like to try a pre-release version of v8.6, please email support@vandyke.com and reference "Try pre-release version 8.6" (or something similar). If not writing us from the email address associated with your download account (which is how we make pre-release builds available) then please include that email address in the body of your email.

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730
Old 04-19-2019, 11:20 AM

Thank you.

Assuming all team members are on the same (newest) version of CRT with the ButtonBarV5.ini file in use, I'm specifically talking about being able to copy individual buttons and button bars between users.

Say my co-worker has a "Cisco XYZ" button bar and I'd like to easily get a copy of that whole bar over to my CRT (but where I'm only copying that one button bar from the other user).

It seems like there would need to be an internal interface to open another .ini file and let a user copy over bars and buttons from the other .ini file.
Old 04-19-2019, 11:37 AM
VanDyke Technical Support

Hi Reno,

I have added this thread to a feature request in our product enhancement database for an option to import/export/merge button bars (emphasis on merge in this case). Should a future release of SecureCRT include this feature, notification will be posted here.

If you prefer direct email notification, send an email to support@vandyke.com and include "Feature Request - Forum Thread #13507" in the subject line or use this form from the support page of our website.

I think the outlined usage case is very small. For the workaround suggested below you do not need a special tool. They are just text files.

Open UserA's ButtonBarV5.ini, find the specific entry and copy/paste it into UserB's ButtonBarV5.ini.

Each button bar entry will begin with Z:. The number at the end is the number of lines below (corresponding to number of buttons on the button bar).

Z:"RenoExample"=00000002
SEND,,btn1,,,0,1,
TN_ABORT_OUTPUT,,btn2,,,0,1,

Again, it's not advisable you work inside the INI file itself this way, but if that level of detail (specific button bars) is what needs shared, that would be the current workaround.

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730