VanDyke Software Forums

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > SecureCRT 5.1/SecureFX 3.1/VShell 2.6 Beta
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2005, 11:58 PM

Feature Req / Design: Session Options Dialog box

I looked for a bit this evening and could not find it..

I'm guessing someone may have asked for the current layout of the session options dialog box..

I miss the previous version, where I had the combination of the Connection Name, Protocol, Port, hostname / address, username ...etc on the screen when I did Alt Enter .. now to do session name, I have to have connection highlighted, then to get to the ip I have to scroll or mouse to "SSH2" and then I can make changes..

while I like the description box...and I guess its placement was a reason to move the rest of the settings to a different location, my normal when going through to set up a bunch of sessions, is to setup one... then while IN the session list/connect dialog box, I do CTRL + C (copy) CTRL+V (paste) then ALT+ENTER of the newly pasted copy of the session, to be in the options dialog to change this "copy" of the session as needed.... and in this case if I've gotten 10 new servers for one customer, I can quickly change the partial name (I use hostname - 3rd.4th ip octet) and any other information...

Doing this is much faster than going through the "wizard" and is best for those in a datacenter environment where you may have a new customer come in, and you want to set up 10 sessions wihtout having to hand edit text ini files.. or have to painfully go through the connection creation wizard, or have to use the mouse for additional clicks.. etc..

Last edited by TreborG2; 04-05-2005 at 12:04 AM.
Old 04-05-2005, 09:45 AM

I remember when the original screen changed. It was a bit annoying at the time, but have since learned to tab and arrow just as fast.
Old 04-05-2005, 05:16 PM
VanDyke Product Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreborG2
I miss the previous version, where I had the combination of the Connection Name, Protocol, Port, hostname / address, username ...etc on the screen when I did Alt Enter .. now to do session name, I have to have connection highlighted, then to get to the ip I have to scroll or mouse to "SSH2" and then I can make changes..

while I like the description box...and I guess its placement was a reason to move the rest of the settings to a different location, my normal when going through to set up a bunch of sessions, is to setup one... then while IN the session list/connect dialog box, I do CTRL + C (copy) CTRL+V (paste) then ALT+ENTER of the newly pasted copy of the session, to be in the options dialog to change this "copy" of the session as needed.... and in this case if I've gotten 10 new servers for one customer, I can quickly change the partial name (I use hostname - 3rd.4th ip octet) and any other information...

Doing this is much faster than going through the "wizard" and is best for those in a datacenter environment where you may have a new customer come in, and you want to set up 10 sessions wihtout having to hand edit text ini files.. or have to painfully go through the connection creation wizard, or have to use the mouse for additional clicks.. etc..
Thanks for the feedback. I wanted to give some background on why this change was made. It was because the file transfer protocol gets added to Connection page when SecureFX and SecureCRT are integrated, which meant that unless we made the dialog a lot taller, there wasn't room to add the file transfer options. Unfortunately, this is probably little consolation to people who aren't using the clients integrated.

That said, I'm open to suggestions for how to improve the situation. For example, would simply adding the hostname to the Connection page help?

Maureen
Old 04-06-2005, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maureen
That said, I'm open to suggestions for how to improve the situation. For example, would simply adding the hostname to the Connection page help?

Maureen

How about something like this (picture below)? The only things changed are placement, and the description shortened (both height of box, and the length of sentence).

Now as for the "advanced" options to SSH ... that could be put right under the "connection" header, as

Connection
|- SSH Advanced

|- Logon Scripts

|- Port Forwarding
Rather than how it appears now...

SSH
|--- Advanced

Attached Images
File Type: jpg options.jpg (45.3 KB, 3 views)
Old 04-06-2005, 05:36 PM

It was brought up that my *BRILLIANT* idea for redesign of the connection page didn't leave room when people have a merged profile (SCRT & SFX merged)

The thought I had then.. because I really do change nearly everything on a connection screen and loath going through the "wizards" when not needed for simple "name & ip" changes.. was to move the Description box off to its own..

I'm guessing that it would leave room (*note after my failed merge <*note2-- my fault*> attempt) but I haven't gone back into a merged config mode to "test" what that might look like for the rest of you..

Thoughts??

Anyone? ... Anyone??

Bueller?