VanDyke Software Forums

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > SecureCRT 5.1/SecureFX 3.1/VShell 2.6 Beta
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2005, 07:24 AM

Thumbs up First Impressions

Wow... Tabs work like a charm, hit CTRL-Tab/CTRL-Shift-Tab to quickly switch between them, very impressive, very usefull.

One thing I'm missing tho, personally: Option to select multiple Sessions and open them all in tabs. Select 10 Sessions, all 10 open in one window, 10 tabs.

Another small cosmetic enhancement would be that the session tab only gets displayed, once you have at least 2 tabs open and that it is hidden when you only have 1 "tab" open. Also it'd be nice to automatically remove the Tabs when you enter 'Full-Screen' mode (alt-enter). Possibly all in some small checkboxes to enable/disable the feature(s).

Might add more later, after working more w/ SCRT5.0b1

~Emanuel
Old 03-01-2005, 10:54 AM
VanDyke Developer

Hi Emanuel,

Thanks for the feedback on our tab support. I've logged your feedback as feature requests into our feature request database so we can look at implementing them in a future release of SecureCRT.

Thanks,
Daniel
Old 03-01-2005, 11:03 AM

Send a message via ICQ to mdella Send a message via Skype™ to mdella
Keys and the like...

Well, I missed the Ctrl-Tab and went with programming the Ctrl -> and Ctrl <- heys :-) Ah well, I'll play with that one some more.

Now I have to find the hot key that opens a new session in a tab insted of automatically in a new window (without having to check the little check box)

--

On another note, there was a thread about skins that somehow disappeared as I was trying to post to it :-/ Weird. Anyway, my $0.02 on that... I use skins only because I can then control transparency and overlays. With a limited screen laptop, I have my wimamp in the background (to listen to heart pounding music while working) and Trillian for all the IMs that I have to keep open (another skinned program) that fades up and down as different things take focus.

If you want to know, CRT still feels like... well... my old WY50 :-) (Of course I program time to the traditional color scheme :-) and I still use ANSI graphics on some of my systems.

Ok, its not a big deal, but someone wanted to know what in the heck you'd use them for in a tool like this. its all about customization. Now if only I could get this tool to run in either a Solaris or Linux environment :-)

Marcos

PGP Fingerprint: BDC7 AFFD E94F FA09 C839 9153 F5FF E128 3094 2B9E
Key ID: 0x30942B9E
Old 03-01-2005, 11:19 AM
VanDyke Developer

Alt+B will open up a new session in a tab, as will the folder icon on the toolbar.

Are you looking for skin support in SecureCRT, or are you looking more for the ability to change the transparency of SecureCRT?

Thanks,
daniel
Old 03-01-2005, 12:18 PM

I also noticed the menu "Window" is missing. With several SCRT windows open (and some number of tabs in each window), I'm missing the convenience of doing ALT-W to find the window I want.

I'm mostly keyboard based and don't use the mouse if I don't have to.

Maybe Window could be a tree such that I can not only select the "parent" window but any open tabs that "parent" has as well?
Old 03-16-2006, 10:34 AM
VanDyke Product Director

Just wanted to follow up on some old requests.

Quote:
Originally Posted by exo
One thing I'm missing tho, personally: Option to select multiple Sessions and open them all in tabs. Select 10 Sessions, all 10 open in one window, 10 tabs.
This has been implemented in 5.1 by allowing folders or multiple sessions to be selected and connected in tabs.

Quote:
Another small cosmetic enhancement would be that the session tab only gets displayed, once you have at least 2 tabs open and that it is hidden when you only have 1 "tab" open.
An option for this has been added to the Tabs category of the Global Options dialog in SecureCRT 5.1.

Quote:
Also it'd be nice to automatically remove the Tabs when you enter 'Full-Screen' mode (alt-enter). Possibly all in some small checkboxes to enable/disable the feature(s).
In the past year, this is the only request for this that I'm aware of. Would others be interested in an option to support this?

Maureen