Join the discussion today!

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > General

Notices

Old 07-31-2013, 05:37 PM

recognize PS1 color

In Putty, I have been able to set my PS1 to:

echo $PS1
\[\e[1m\]\u\[\e[0;35m\]\[\e[8m\]\w\[:\e$\e[m

which shows the path of the present working directory in purple. However, in trying to get color working in SecureCRT (version 7.0.1), I do not see the path at all. Only blank spaces appear. Depending on what color settings I set, when I select the empty space, it does show purple blocks (but not the actual path). I've tried all terminal settings and color setting combinations.

I'm currently using Xterm (set under Terminal | Emulation | Terminal: ) with ANSI Color selected, and Use color scheme selected. I don't really care what color shows if I can at least get the path to show in the PS1 instead of the empty spaces. Do you know how to get the PS1 working as it does in Putty?
Old 08-01-2013, 08:59 AM
VanDyke Technical Support

Hi rbrueske,

What operating system/platform is SecureCRT installed on?

Quote:
In Putty, I have been able to set my PS1 to:
What do you mean by in Putty you have set the PS1 prompt to display in color?

Have you edited your bash profile (.bashrc) on the remote server to make the colorized prompt a permanent change?

Or are you just setting it to color during an interactive session?

Using Xterm emulation and having ANSI Color enabled are the correct settings, but I do not think you will want Use color scheme enabled. That references the color schemes provided in SecureCRT and in my tests caused color not to be displayed.

Please post a screenshot of what the prompt looks like in SecureCRT (or send to support@vandyke.com).

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730
Old 08-01-2013, 11:45 AM

1. I'm running Windows 7 64bit.
2. I have set the PS1 variable in a shell script that loads when I start bash. It's not specific to Putty.
3. I have not enabled "use color scheme". You can see that if I highlight part of the blank area it highlights in the color that I expect the missing text to be in.
4. It seems that I can't upload an attachment, I don't know if I need special permissions to the forum or not. I can email it separately.
Old 08-01-2013, 11:47 AM

Hi rbrueske,

Moderated post.

You should be able to attach now, but email is fine also.

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730
Old 08-01-2013, 01:38 PM

I removed the [8m as directed and the PS1 works as expected in SecureCRT and Putty. I didn't realize what it does and was surprised to see the difference in behavior. Glad it was an easy fix. I guess Putty must be more forgiving/non-standard. It would be good to know other differences and potential fixes for people migrating to SecureCRT.
Old 08-01-2013, 02:01 PM

Hi rbrueske,

I am glad to hear the issue is resolved. SecureCRT was doing as instructed. It received an escape sequence for invisible and that's how it displayed that portion of the prompt.

I think the major known differences between default configurations of SecureCRT and Putty have been covered many times in the forums, but for the sake of having it in one post, I have included them below:

Authentication:

Putty uses keyboard-interactive by default, SecureCRT uses password.

Emulation:
Putty uses Xterm by default, SecureCRT uses VT100.

Word Delimiters:
By default, PuTTY seems to use the following characters as word delimiters:
` ~!@#$%^&*()+=:;>,\[]{}|'

Note: A space character is present between the ` and the ~ characters.
By default, SecureCRT uses all non-alphanumeric characters (except underscore) as word delimiters when selecting an entire word with a double-click action as described in the SecureCRT Help topic Using the Software / Working with the Window / Copying and Pasting.

For reference, all non-alphanumeric characters would be:
` ~!@#$%^&*()-+=:;<>.,\/[]{}|'"
You can modify the word delimiter characters by entering your personal preferences in the Terminal category of Session Options. Do not separate the entries with spaces or any other character (but if you would like the [space] character to act as a word delimiter, you should add it, of course).

If the word delimiter configuration in SecureCRT is set to the following set of characters, SecureCRT will exhibit the same word selection behavior as PuTTY:
` ~!@#$%^&*()+=:;>,\[]{}|'

Anyone out there that can think of other commonly-used config options that differ, feel free to post.

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730

Last edited by bgagnon; 08-12-2013 at 09:27 AM. Reason: Correct string of non-alphanumeric chars (was wrong in KB article)
Old 10-02-2013, 10:24 AM

Hi all,

For those who may experience a similar issue with color escape sequences, we have a new build of SecureCRT available that will ignore the [8m escape sequence.

If you would like to try the new build, please send an email to support@vandyke.com and reference "Forum thread #11152" in the subject line.

If you are not writing from the email address associated with your download account, please also include the following:
  • The email account used for the download account registration
  • Specifics of installer needed (Platform, integrated or not, 32-bit/64-bit, etc.)

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730