Welcome to the VanDyke Software Forums

Join the discussion today!

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > General

Notices

Old 05-05-2012, 04:31 PM

Crashes and Issues in V7 Beta

I downloaded and installed the V7 Beta and am experiencing the following issues so far:

1. Whenever clicking or even hovering over view in the top menu SecureCRT Crashes. You do not need a session open for the crash to occur. Open the program and hover over view and the program will crash. Or click on view and the program will crash.

2. I had a custom menu and it is mostly no longer there in the Beta Version. I only see the default menu bar which does not contain my customized menu choices and scripts. The button bar is as it was though.

3. Button bar scripts acting differently. When clicking on a button bar script it opens a script tab in Securecrt that stays open even when the script has completed running.

Thanks
cr1275
Old 05-07-2012, 10:17 AM
VanDyke Technical Support

Hello cr1275,

Quote:
1. Whenever clicking or even hovering over view in the top menu SecureCRT Crashes. You do not need a session open for the crash to occur. Open the program and hover over view and the program will crash. Or click on view and the program will crash.
Was a valid crash dump file created?

If so, please send an e-mail to support@vandyke.com and include "Attn Brenda - Forum Thread #10446". If you are not writing us from the e-mail account you used when you registered for a download account, please provide the download account e-mail address and I will let you know how to get the crash dump file to us.

Quote:
2. I had a custom menu and it is mostly no longer there in the Beta Version. I only see the default menu bar which does not contain my customized menu choices and scripts. The button bar is as it was though.
Was your custom menu via a .mnu file?

If so, is this file being pointed to in the Custom menu and toolbar file config option in the Terminal / Advanced category of Global Options?

Or did you create the custom menu by customizing in the GUI?

If so, what files related to menu customization exist in the config folder? (ie: SCRTMenuToolbar.ini)

Quote:
3. Button bar scripts acting differently. When clicking on a button bar script it opens a script tab in Securecrt that stays open even when the script has completed running.
I would need to get more specifics regarding the above. What does your script do?

Are you connecting via the script?

Could you supply a copy of the script at the same time you contact us regarding #1 above?

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730
Old 05-09-2012, 08:24 PM

I figured out some of this.

1. The crash I was experiencing appears to have been related to my custom configuration. I deleted my configuration and created a new default configuration which stopped the crashes, Then I added the custom files such as the Custom menu, the button bar, and my sessions.

2. I figured out the custom menu disappeared during the upgrade. I added the path back into the global options.

3. The way button bars work still looks like it opens sessions to run scripts. Here is an example script attached to a button:

# $language = "VBScript"
# $interface = "1.0"

Set objExcel = CreateObject("Excel.Application")
objExcel.Visible = True
Set objWorkbook = objExcel.Workbooks.Open("C:\Container\VanDyke\Extras\myfile.xls")

I have also experienced intermittent crashes when trying to open websites via a script. An example script that crashes a lot is below:

# $language = "VBScript"
# $interface = "1.0"

Set iExA = CreateObject("InternetExplorer.Application")
iExA.Navigate("http://mysite/folder/start_a.htm")
iExA.Visible=True
Do While iExA.Busy=True
crt.Sleep 10
Loop

I did get some crash dumps from SecureCRT but I was busy trying to fix the issues and did not note where they went. The DR Watson Sticky is of no help since it does not give a path to the crash dump and of course I was not running it seperately. If you can provide a general path I can send you the crash dumps if they still exist.

Thanks

Thanks
Old 05-10-2012, 08:17 AM

Hello cr1275,

The default location for a crash dump file on XP is:
C:\Documents and Settings\<User>\Application Data\SecureCRT.dmp
On Vista/Windows 7, it is:
C:\Users\<user>\AppData\SecureCRT.dmp
Please note that you need to follow the prior instructions before attempting to send the crash dump file to us:

Quote:
If so, please send an e-mail to support@vandyke.com and include "Attn Brenda - Forum Thread #10446". If you are not writing us from the e-mail account you used when you registered for a download account, please provide the download account e-mail address and I will let you know how to get the crash dump file to us.

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730
Old 05-10-2012, 08:30 PM

I found the dump file but it is too large. I sent e-mail to support. We can take this offline.

Thanks
Old 05-11-2012, 08:18 AM

Hello cr1275,

I have responded to your e-mail with instructions for uploading the crash dump file.

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730