VanDyke Software Forums

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > SecureCRT 5.1/SecureFX 3.1/VShell 2.6 Beta
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2005, 08:31 AM

Hostname lookup failed message box

I often have several windows/sessions open (SSH2) on my laptop. What I like to do is simply shut the lid/go into stand by mode while I travel with it (to/from work). With version 4 this worked very well. When I returned from stand by SecureCRT would automatically attempt to reconnect. Sometimes I have some issues with my DNS so some of the names won't resolve. SecureCRT will still continue to attempt to reconnect every 5 seconds, failing until I do a "ipconfig /registerdns", at which times the connections come right back up. With version 5.0, I now get a dialog box that says "Hostname lookup failed: no IP address associated with hostname". This presents somewhat of an annoyance since I now have to go through and click the Ok button (often 10+ times depending on how many windows I have open), somewhat defeating the purpose of the auto-reconnect feature. Would it be at all possible to add a checkbox "Do not show this message anymore" to this message box? I could even live with a hidden INI preference that would allow me to suppress this message as I can understand that adding an additional preference can be somewhat of a hassle (global vs session, etc).

Thanks for your time...
Old 04-01-2005, 08:00 AM

Another message box I get says this:
"Host unreachable. This might indicate that you are not connected to the network, or might indicate a problem exists on the network between your ISP and the destination host."

This doesn't appear to be DNS related, but again, this message box is defeating the purpose of auto-reconnect...
Old 04-13-2005, 11:56 AM

I'm sorry for bringing up this old topic, but this still bugs me. Maybe a more concise, specific request would elicit a response...

Would it be possible to add an option to suppress the connection failure dialog boxes when automatically reconnecting (and possibly in other situations as well)?

Thanks...
Old 04-14-2005, 12:31 AM
VanDyke Developer

I actually logged a bug for this 3/30/05-- didn't see your post until today.

I've updated the bug with your report; it helps the Powers That Be prioritize things to know that real customers are experiencing the problem too.

Thanks,

Joseph
Old 05-09-2005, 04:32 PM
VanDyke Product Director

We have made an attempt to address this problem. The change will be in beta 5, but if you'd like to try an interim build, please send an e-mail to me at Maureen.Jett@vandyke.com.

Maureen