VanDyke Software Forums

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > SecureCRT 5.0 Alpha/SecureFX 3.0 Alpha
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2005, 11:43 PM

A couple of notes from a new user.

First i want to start off by saying i love the new options in 5.0 ESPECIALLY the tabs. It is something i have been wanting for quite a while from SecureCRT. Now to the nitty gritty.

The only bug i seem to have run into so far, is when using two tabbed conenctions, you cannot run simultaneous ncurses displays. The second attempt to open and instance of an ncurses based program will give you this error.

Your display is too small to run Menuconfig!
It must be at least 19 lines by 80 columns. (Or some variation, i tried it with 2 other ncurses based programs)

Also i want to put my vote in for tab cloneing. I saw it mentioned a few times before, but one other vote cant hurt.

Also, SecureCRT seems to forget your session options (mainly emulation preferences) when it is anything other than the main tab. For example Loading SITE 1 first gives me correct emulation, but closing securecrt and then loading SITE 2 and then SITE 1 in a second tab seems to give me the same emulation for SITE 1 as SITE 2.

These are just some opening observations to get me going, im sure ill have more to come soon.
Old 02-09-2005, 05:20 PM

Wangod,

There are issues with window geometry when using tabs. The first tab seems to work correctly, however secondary tabs seem to act strangely. As a workaround, I have found that the following works for me:

On a secondary tab where the text space doesn't fill the entire window, click on the 'Restore Down' button on the toolbar. (This is the button between the minimize and terminate 'X' buttons in the top right corner of most windows). This will cause the window to shrink to what SecureCRT believes the proper size is. Now, click the 'Maximize' button and you will now be able to use the entire real estate of the window. Run your ncurses program and see if it works on a secondary tab.

We have been working with Maureen on this issue and hopefully it will be corrected in a future build.

BTW- I originally suggested the 'Clone' feature and still believe that it would be a most-often used feature. (Hey, I'd use it dozens of times in a day!)

Reply to this post and let me know if my workaround fixes your issue.
Old 02-14-2005, 04:16 AM

Hey dcomo, thanks for that tip, it works great, any ideas on my other issue? The one about not getting different session settings loaded when loading a new tab? Bsically I load one site that has specific session settings i need to make stuff work, on my other sites i use what looks best to me and what i like, waht seems to be happening though is I will load my first site and then all the rest of my sites, and it seems to just use the first connections session settings for all other tabs, for instance, it SAYS its using vt100 for the rest of my settings, but it damn sure looks like Terminal 10, let me know if anyone else has experienced this.

Thanks again dcomo
Old 02-14-2005, 07:51 AM

Wangod,

Great to hear that the tip worked out for you. I am not sure what is happening in regards to your second issue. Hopefully, Maureen or another member of VanDyke's development staff will see this post and will be able to comment.

Even with the amount of issues that SecureCRT still has, it is still an amazing upgrade to an already amazing application. Remember that we are still in 'Alpha' mode, so there is still some work to be done. Hopefully by the time the software goes 'Beta', most (if not all) of these issues will be resolved.

It appears that there is a new release every two (2) weeks or so, so my fingers are crossed for the next one!!
Old 02-16-2005, 06:17 PM
VanDyke Product Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by wangod
First i want to start off by saying i love the new options in 5.0 ESPECIALLY the tabs. It is something i have been wanting for quite a while from SecureCRT. Now to the nitty gritty.
Thanks for the feedback. I'm glad to hear you're liking the new features.

Quote:
The only bug i seem to have run into so far, is when using two tabbed conenctions, you cannot run simultaneous ncurses displays. The second attempt to open and instance of an ncurses based program will give you this error.

Your display is too small to run Menuconfig!
It must be at least 19 lines by 80 columns. (Or some variation, i tried it with 2 other ncurses based programs)
We are having some trouble tracking this one down. We fixed a different geometry problem in the latest alpha that may have fixed this problem as well. Do those of you who see this behavior still see it in the latest alpha?

Quote:
Also i want to put my vote in for tab cloneing. I saw it mentioned a few times before, but one other vote cant hurt.
Because of all the forum requests, this got bumped up in priority and has been implemented in the latest alpha.

Quote:
Also, SecureCRT seems to forget your session options (mainly emulation preferences) when it is anything other than the main tab. For example Loading SITE 1 first gives me correct emulation, but closing securecrt and then loading SITE 2 and then SITE 1 in a second tab seems to give me the same emulation for SITE 1 as SITE 2.
The way tabs are implemented, the first tab dictates the geometry and emulation settings. It will probably remain this way for 5.0, but we may need to see if we can make the emulation in tabs more flexible in a future version. Because we don't want the window to change size when you switch tabs, we probably won't be able to support different geometry or font settings in tabs.

Maureen
Old 02-16-2005, 07:51 PM

Maureen,

In the latest Alpha (711), secondary tab geometry is still not working correctly. I'd love to spend as much time as you need to assist in correcting this problem. Do you want to do a shared session via PC Anywhere or other program so I can demonstrate the issue?

Let me know and I'll be more than happy to set up a test scenario with yourself or a member of your development staff.

Drew
Old 02-17-2005, 03:22 AM

Re: A couple of notes from a new user.

Hello,

I just tested with some ncurses based applications, and I cannot provoke this in any way. Could you explain what you are doing, so that I might see if I can provoke it?

/Mark
Old 02-18-2005, 07:24 PM
VanDyke Product Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcomo
Maureen,

In the latest Alpha (711), secondary tab geometry is still not working correctly. I'd love to spend as much time as you need to assist in correcting this problem. Do you want to do a shared session via PC Anywhere or other program so I can demonstrate the issue?

Let me know and I'll be more than happy to set up a test scenario with yourself or a member of your development staff.
We finally are able to reproduce this consistently in-house. Hopefully that means we'll have a fix soon. I'll let you know when we have something for you to try.

Maureen
Old 02-18-2005, 09:04 PM

Great News!

Maureen,

I have been sick for the past 2 days, however reading this just made me feel a whole lot better. I'm glad that you and your team were able to reproduce this issue. I'm really looking forward to seeing this corrected in a future build!!

Thanks!!!

Drew

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: