Welcome to the VanDyke Software Forums

Join the discussion today!

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > General

Old 11-13-2019, 11:59 AM

Angry Getting disconnected when unplugging Ethernet cable, but on Wi-Fi

Hi, in my office we go a lot from desk to desk, so we always use the ethernet cable from our position and wifi at the same time.

When leaving my desk I unplug the ethernet cable with my wifi on, still all my SecureCRT sessions die. Is there any way to prevent this?
Old 11-13-2019, 02:20 PM
VanDyke Technical Support

Hi fede777,

Anytime you switch from ethernet to wifi there is going to be a disruption of your connection(s).

Have you tried enabling the "Auto reconnect" option in Global Options? (Options > Global Options > Terminal)

Does auto reconnect work for you in this scenario?

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730
Old 11-13-2019, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berdmann View Post
Hi fede777,

Anytime you switch from ethernet to wifi there is going to be a disruption of your connection(s).

Have you tried enabling the "Auto reconnect" option in Global Options? (Options > Global Options > Terminal)

Does auto reconnect work for you in this scenario?
I haven't yet, but our servers require username, password and 2FA logins so I don't think that will work.
Old 11-13-2019, 05:35 PM

Hi fede777,

Thank you for elaborating! It is not currently possible to define which network interface is used for SecureCRT connections, and switching between ethernet and wifi will cause the disconnect that you are experiencing.

I have captured a feature request on your behalf to add the ability to define which network interface is used for SecureCRT connections.

We will be sure to post here if this functionality is implemented. If you would prefer direct notification, please send an email to support@vandyke.com, with ***ATTN: Feature Request, Forum Thread #13972*** in the subject field.

As is now stands, it's up to the Operating System to determine which network interface is used to establish a connection. Typically, the network interface with the lowest "metric" is what is used when making an outgoing connection.

One potential work-around would be to set up the wireless network interface to have a higher network connection priority than the Ethernet interface (at the OS level). This process will vary depending on what platform you are on. Please refer to the following links:

- Windows
https://superuser.com/questions/7390...ng-connections

- Mac
https://www.macworld.com/article/321...-on-a-mac.html

-Ubuntu
https://superuser.com/questions/3317...ions-in-ubuntu

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730
Old 11-14-2019, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berdmann View Post
Hi fede777,

Thank you for elaborating! It is not currently possible to define which network interface is used for SecureCRT connections, and switching between ethernet and wifi will cause the disconnect that you are experiencing.
Is this something exclusive for SecureCRT?, because other apps we use, like Skype Enterprise or CTRLM do not lose connection when unplugging from the Eth cable, having the WiFi on.
Old 11-14-2019, 11:49 AM

Hi fede777,

I am not sure how Skype or CTRLM handle the interface change, but anytime that you switch from ethernet to wifi your internet connections will be disrupted. I would guess that those applications have an auto-reconnect feature that automatically reconnects to whichever interface is available upon disconnect, similar to SecureCRT's "Auto reconnect" option.

I did a quick Google search and found an article that discusses this further:

https://www.addictivetips.com/window...in-windows-10/

If you configure your machine to prioritize the wireless network interface over the Ethernet interface what are your results?

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730