Welcome to the VanDyke Software Forums

Join the discussion today!

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > Scripting

Old 09-12-2006, 01:52 PM

Cool syntax highlighting

Hello all,
I am wondering whether I am not the only one alone here looking for something like this:
I work with cisco stuff a lot, and a feature that would highlight the text on the text console would REALLY help me. For example to have different color for an IP address, different color for commands.... etc etc....anything you can think of.
Always better then to look all day on the same green letters on black background (well, I can change the background color from time to time
I have been searching internet for things that would allow me to syntax highlight the telnet/ssh session ITSELF but have not found anything......which is strange....
To give you the impression of what I am looking for - the only thing I found was a nice but a little expensive tool at www.telconi.com, which was doing some kind of the stuff I want, but not exactly what I wanted.....and actually I did not like it....

I was thinking whether it would be possible to implement a syntax highlighting script that would parse the whole screen....or maybe more and syntax highlight according to some rules....(similar to ViM syntax files).....

So please if anybody has any thoughts about that, please share with me.

Thanks,
jumbo
Old 09-12-2006, 03:06 PM

The ability to highlight certain strings would be a great feature! SecureCRT does not currently support this, but I've added your forum post to our feature request database and notified the product manager. If we implement the ability to highlight or change text color in a future release we'll post here. If you would like e-mail notification should this feature be implemented, please send e-mail to support@vandyke.com and reference this forum thread.

I believe VIM performs the syntax highlighting by sending ANSI codes. SecureCRT does support ANSI colors, but I'm not sure if that would help you - your Cisco devices would need to send the codes.
[http://www.vandyke.com/support]
Old 09-13-2006, 07:22 AM

Hello,
nice to hear that, thank you very much......I should also try to push Cisco, to send ANSI colors........anybody from Cisco reading this?.....))

to VIM: I was thinking about general feature of VIM to load any "syntax file", according to which would VIM highlight the syntax. For example one syntax file for cisco is at http://www.vim.org/scripts/download_...php?src_id=446

Thanks,
jumbo
Old 09-13-2006, 10:49 AM

Thanks for the link. A script might pipe all output to a file with the ANSI codes then SecureCRT could display it, but this doesn't seem like the best solution.
[http://www.vandyke.com/support]
Old 08-12-2009, 03:08 PM
VanDyke Product Director

Keyword highlighting has been added to SecureCRT 6.5, which is currently in pre-beta testing. This feature allows whole words to be highlighted as bold or reverse video. If you would be interested in trying it, please send e-mail to me at Maureen.Jett@vandyke.com.

Maureen
Old 04-25-2013, 05:50 PM

I've been looking for this feature in SecureCRT for YEARS!

No luck so far.

What you are asking for is almost word-for-word what I am looking for. The inspiration for this in my case is Textpad, which is a fantastic piece of software for normal day-to-day text editing and even development. You can say for *.java files, apply the syntax definition file java.syn which contains your normal keywords and operators and so on. You may then tell the editor which color to use for which keyword groups... and these can of course be customized to include your particular details (things like site- or organization-specific vlan/vrf names, switch hostnames, etc.

What you end up with is output that is extremely easy to parse quickly using one of the main strengths of the visual cortex.

I've not seen this in any SSH clients, and the closest I've seen is old-school MUD clients that typically only handle telnet and are built for text-based games (where you can script the colorization of particular strings).

I think this could be a huge game-changer for the product and I'm surprised it hasn't been added yet. Hope someone influential reads this and decides it would be a good idea. I saw that the syntax "highlighting" went in, which is essentially the groundwork for this feature and provides an elementary example of what the OP and I are looking to be able to do.
Old 04-26-2013, 09:47 AM
VanDyke Technical Support

Hi varanda,

Thanks for the feedback. Some preliminary investigation has been done and the ability to define colors with keyword highlighting is being considered for the next version of SecureCRT.

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
505-332-5730
Old 09-26-2013, 10:23 AM

Question

I see the current version (6.7.3) has this feature. Great!
However, It would be great if it could highlight the entire line that has the match, not just the match. In the Cisco world, I would be looking to highlight the entire line that contains a % (percent) character as that line is an error message. But, using just the single % (or ^-Caret) as the match, highlights only that character - which doesn't really make it stand out.
Old 09-26-2013, 10:33 AM
VanDyke Technical Support

Hi Rhudi,

Thanks for the suggestion. I have created a feature request to add the ability to highlight the entire line if a match for a character is found in the line. Should we add this capability to a future release, we will post to this thread.

If you would like to be notified directly, please complete and submit the form at the following location:
Submit Feature Request

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
505-332-5730