Welcome to the VanDyke Software Forums

Join the discussion today!

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > General

Old 04-28-2014, 11:37 AM

Sharing Sessions to other SecureCRT users

I want to share the sessions I've set up with my team mate, and to use the sessions he has set up.
I have several hundred devices as do each of my teammates. It would be a massive waste of time for us to have to each remake our own copy of these sessions.

We are operating under a multi user license with multiple instances of SecureCRT on various systems.

Is there a way to do this?
Yes, I would want to remove my password and username from the sessions I export.
Old 04-28-2014, 12:01 PM
VanDyke Technical Support

Hello BCismar,

What version of SecureCRT are you using?

How about your colleagues?

As of v7.2, we added this functionality:

Changes in SecureCRT 7.2 (Beta 1) -- October 8, 2013
----------------------------------------------------

New features:
  • Added a global option to store personal data such as usernames and passwords in a location separate from the rest of the session data, which allows personal data to be kept private while other configuration data is stored on a network drive or on the cloud so that it can be used on different systems or shared with colleagues.

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730
Old 04-28-2014, 12:31 PM

We are all using Version 7.2.3 (x64 build 500)-Official Release - April 1, 2014.

So we should be able to do this, but I don't see anything that tells me how to share the sessions to other users.

Not to create too much scope creep in the topic, but since you mentioned it, how secure is the user login and password storage?
Old 04-28-2014, 12:42 PM

Actually, you did answer the question of where the sessions are stored in the other thread.
Although the location isn't in under the "General" tab anymore. IT is under "Configuration paths"

Thanks!
Old 04-28-2014, 12:58 PM

Hello BCismar,

Quote:
So we should be able to do this, but I don't see anything that tells me how to share the sessions to other users.
Each user would just enable the option to Store personal data separately (Global Options / General / Configuration Paths category) and then point their "non-personal" config path to use the shared config.

Quote:
Not to create too much scope creep in the topic, but since you mentioned it, how secure is the user login and password storage?
It is generally not a security "best practice" to save passwords regardless of the application in use. If an individual or an organization chooses to save passwords in VanDyke Software client applications, passwords are encrypted (not merely obfuscated).

Questions regarding the security of information stored in session configurations should be directed to support@vandyke.com.

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730
Old 05-28-2014, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgagnon View Post

As of v7.2, we added this functionality:

Changes in SecureCRT 7.2 (Beta 1) -- October 8, 2013
----------------------------------------------------

New features:
  • Added a global option to store personal data such as usernames and passwords in a location separate from the rest of the session data, which allows personal data to be kept private while other configuration data is stored on a network drive or on the cloud so that it can be used on different systems or shared with colleagues.
Any chance of making this a global setting with a session toggle?

I want to share most of my session logons with colleagues but not all of them.
A global setting with the path and then a option saved with the session would indicate whether to use the personal space or the default space would be ideal.
Old 05-28-2014, 07:19 AM

Hi koenv,

I can't say that it is probable, but it is likely possible. I have created a feature request to add the ability to determine which sessions should have sensitive data stored in the personal configuration folder and which should be common. We will post to this forum thread if this feature is added in the future.

If you would like to be notified directly, please complete and submit the form at the following location:
Submit Feature Request
In the meantime, you could configure one SecureCRT shortcut to launch SecureCRT pointing to your personal configuration while another shortcut would launch SecureCRT pointing to the common configuration folder.

You can accomplish this by using the /F command-line option in the Target: input box located in the Shortcut tab of the Shortcut Properties dialog. You can access this dialog by right-clicking on the shortcut and selecting Properties from the context menu that appears.

Here is an example of what you would add to the Target: input box:
"...\SecureCRT\SecureCRT.exe" /F "C:\PersonalConfig"

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
505-332-5730
Old 05-28-2014, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtb View Post
You can accomplish this by using the /F command-line option in the Target: input box located in the Shortcut tab of the Shortcut Properties dialog. You can access this dialog by right-clicking on the shortcut and selecting Properties from the context menu that appears.

Here is an example of what you would add to the Target: input box:
"...\SecureCRT\SecureCRT.exe" /F "C:\PersonalConfig"
How would this work if the common data is on \\server\public\ConfigVanDyke and personal data is on C:\Users\Mine\ConfigVanDyke.personal? Can SecureCRT still find the common data if I point it to the personal data from the command line? I would have thought you would need to specify both locations from the command line.
Old 05-28-2014, 03:15 PM

Hi jimmy,

Thanks for the question. I wasn't considering using the personal configuration folder option with the /F command-line option, and I didn't test it prior to posting.

I have since done some limited testing, and the behavior is as expected. The /F command-line option will change the location of your common configuration folder, but will get the personal data from a personal location if you have split a configuration folder on the machine.

Is this something you would like to see in the future?

Are you trying to solve a specific problem?

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
505-332-5730

Last edited by rtb; 05-28-2014 at 03:20 PM.