Welcome to the VanDyke Software Forums

Join the discussion today!

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > General

Old 11-25-2009, 10:58 AM

Tiling sessions - multiple sessions on one screen

Hi, I had a look through forums for this, there was surprisingly little on this feature:

I found a post from last year:

"It is possible to get the Window menu by using a custom menu. However, it doesn't support being able to tile or navigate to specific tabs. I will add your request to our development database for consideration in a future version."

I was looking for a feature like this where you could split the window up to 2 or 4 screens. Using a large monitor, and debugging network problems where you are watching two/four machines communicate needs two windows, and you have to continually switch back and forth between the sessions to see what is going on. Continually, we use watch, or tail -f to look at logs, but still want to control the application with a command on another screen and observe the logs, we need more windows for that.

Before I purchased SecureCRT, I used QuadKonsole on linux, which was amazing, it split up the screen into 4 sessions and was great for debugging network problems across hosts. I think Putty Connection Manager has a similar feature where you can tile sessions across the screen by dragging also.

I know you can have multipe SecureCRT windows open at once and move/tile them yourself, but there is menu overhead on the screen, and whenever you switch monitors, or go back to the laptop screen, they never fit right and continually need adjusted.

I was wondering if this was getting any traction in the roadmap for SecureCRT - you would have my vote.

Robert
Old 11-25-2009, 11:50 AM
VanDyke Technical Support

Hi Robert,

Thanks for your suggestion. I have created a feature request in our SecureCRT development database to add the capability of tiling 2 or 4 sessions in the SecureCRT window.

Should a future release of SecureCRT have this capability we will post to this forum thread. If you would like to be notified personally, please send an email to support@vandyke.com with a subject of Feature Request in Forum Thread #4601.

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
505-332-5730
Old 11-25-2009, 12:08 PM

Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply, I think that this has already been requested in a previous posting from a year or so ago, where it was added as a feature request.

Does the VanDyke Product Team have any reason why it has not already been included thus far?

Robert
Old 11-25-2009, 03:03 PM

Hi Robert,

Feature requests are prioritized based on a number of factors, including, but not limited to the number of requests, and the amount of implementation work required.

We have received requests for this feature, but it has not yet become a top priority for implementation.

After this holiday week, I can check with the SecureCRT product director to see if there is anything to add regarding the status of this feature request.

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
505-332-5730
Old 11-25-2009, 03:42 PM

Thanks Todd, it would be good to know if it is ever likely to get implemented in SecureCRT.

:-)
Old 11-30-2009, 04:24 PM
VanDyke Product Director

Robert,

Tiling sessions in SecureCRT is something we're planning to implement in the next version. I'll post here when we have something for you to try.

Maureen
Old 01-19-2011, 01:00 PM

Tiling Sessions

Adding feedback so the prioirty on this item escalates. Working in an environment where we have to monitor several servers simultaneously although the tabs are good tiling is preferred when you are watching logs roll by. Hurry please
Old 01-19-2011, 01:56 PM

Hi morenog,

Thanks for letting us know you are interested. We will post to this forum thread if/when a future release of SecureCRT has the new tiling feature.

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
505-332-5730
Old 01-20-2011, 10:07 AM

I just emailed support to be alerted regarding this feature, but also wanted to voice my support for it here.

Thx!
Old 01-20-2011, 10:33 AM

Thanks sherkser,

We received your e-mail message and will notify you if a future version of SecureCRT supports tiling!
[http://www.vandyke.com/support]
Old 02-14-2011, 03:25 AM
hyrax

This feature would be awesome for any serious user of SecureCRT (most users, you'd think)... Very much looking forward to its inclusion.