Welcome to the VanDyke Software Forums

Join the discussion today!

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > Scripting

Old 04-08-2016, 10:21 AM

VBScript Development

Hello All,

I'm new SecureCRT scripting and VBScript. I have several REXX scripts I'm trying to convert to VBScript to use in SecureCRT.

What do most use to develop, test, debug their scripts? Is it with a plain text editor running the script over and over (trial and error?) Hope there is something a little more friendly than this.

Thanks!
Tek
Old 04-08-2016, 05:28 PM
VanDyke Technical Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekky View Post
What do most use to develop, test, debug their scripts? Is it with a plain text editor running the script over and over (trial and error?) Hope there is something a little more friendly than this.
I'll encourage other script authors in the forum community to chime in and share what tools they use... but as for me, I personally use SciTE. I know of others who use Notepad, Notepad++ according to the job/task they're up against and the comfort/familiarity with the editor.

Visual Studio for debugging (though I haven't used it for editing VBScripts... might be that it works OK, but I prefer the lightweight nature of SciTE).

SecureCRT doesn't have an integrated IDE/Debugger, but it's possible to have a debugging experience if you're using a native language like VBScript/JScript.

See the following forum posts for additional information about debugging scripts in conjunction with Visual Studio.
In a nutshell, the above references can be boiled down to the following:
  • Install Visual Studio
  • Enable JIT debugging as per registry key (HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows Script\Settings, JITDebug value set to 1)
  • Install your favorite editor (Notepad++, SciTE, SlickEdit, etc.), or just use Notepad if you don't enjoy color syntax highlighting.
  • Kick off the debugger by adding a 'stop' statement to your VBScript at the point where you want to launch the debugger
  • Run your script in SecureCRT and when the 'stop' keyword is reached (or when an exception is raised otherwise), you'll see a message asking you if you'd like to debug or... well, choose to debug.
More to the point of your conversion from REXX to VBScript and SecureCRT...
What specific problems are you running in to as you attempt to convert your REXX scripts into VBScript and SecureCRT?

--Jake
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/vandykesoftware
Email: support@vandyke.com
Web: https://www.vandyke.com/support
Old 04-10-2016, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdev View Post
I'll encourage other script authors in the forum community to chime in and share what tools they use... but as for me, I personally use SciTE. I know of others who use Notepad, Notepad++ according to the job/task they're up against and the comfort/familiarity with the editor.
For the limited amount for scripting I do, I use Notepad++. Fortunately, the majority of the code I write is pretty simple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdev View Post
[*]Install your favorite editor (Notepad++, SciTE, SlickEdit, etc.), or just use Notepad if you don't enjoy color syntax highlighting.
I don't trust these people.

Tags
vbscript development