Welcome to the VanDyke Software Forums

Join the discussion today!

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > SecureCRT on the Mac

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 20 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-19-2010, 07:42 PM

Installer in dmg file

If VanDyke is going to keep forcing the use of an installer in the dmg rather than just allow a simple drag & drop install, can you folks at least get rid of the admin privilege requirement? It doesn't need it.

In the package, Contents/Info.plist, simply delete the following:
<key>IFPkgFlagAuthorizationAction</key>
<string>RootAuthorization</string>

Just tried it when I upgraded to the current beta and it worked perfectly fine without requesting admin privilege.

It still doesn't make sense to me why the dmg requires the installer anyway. Supposedly it's to force showing the license agreement yet a tgz application bundle is offered which doesn't have that requirement and can simply be extracted and moved to whatever destination I choose. I was also told that offering both a dmg package installer and tgz application bundle was by customer request which I also find strange. Possibly it was requested to bypass the overzealous requirements of the completely unnecessary package installer?

Cheers!

-Chad
Old 10-20-2010, 12:03 PM
VanDyke Technical Support

Hi Chad,

Please see this post, where SecureCRT's product director has posted an update.

For your own information and anyone else who might view this post, I can just tell you that she wrote that a "drag and drop" installer is being considered for the next version.

Also, I have added this thread to a feature request in our development database for the release a Mac OS X dmg that is not an installer (drag and drop install). Should a future release of SecureCRT include this feature, notification will be posted here.

If you prefer direct e-mail notification, contact support@vandyke.com and include "Feature Request - Forum Thread #6305" in the subject line.

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730
Old 10-20-2010, 05:18 PM

As I've said all along, drag & drop is preferred and is why I already provided pointers to methods to display the agreement on opening the dmg rather than forcing the use of an installer.

My point right now is that if VanDyke is not going to change the use of the installer for some unknown amount of time then at the very least they should fix the Info.plist in the installer package so it doesn't insist on admin privileges it has no need for.

As in the other thread, I'm not overly thrilled with having to use an install package because it typically means there are a lot of things going on in the background that will make cleanup a pain. I, and I'm sure others, don't trust it at all when the installer insists on having admin / root privilege when there is no explanation at all on why it needs that privilege. In this instance, it doesn't need that privilege level at all.
Old 10-22-2010, 05:55 PM
VanDyke Product Director

The programmers look into modifying the Info.plist file as you suggested. We're currently using EPM, which generates the Info.plist and it's hard-coded to require admin privileges. Since changing this requirement would be fairly involved, it won't be made in 6.6. We are still planning to look into a drag and drop installer for the next version.

Maureen
Old 10-03-2011, 06:29 PM
VanDyke Product Director

A drag and drop installer for Mac OS X has been implemented in a pre-beta version of SecureCRT. If you would be interested in trying it, please send e-mail to me at Maureen.Jett@vandyke.com.

Maureen