Welcome to the VanDyke Software Forums

Join the discussion today!

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > General

Old 08-07-2019, 03:59 AM

Question Update SSH Session Password - BULK UPDATE?

Hi

So my company has policy to changing the password every 15 days and as such once the password expires, I have to re-enter it for all SSH stored sessions. Just wondering if there is any way to update the password on a BULK scale for the sessions in the list? I usually get the keyboard interactive authentication screen when I need to login.

Furthermore, is there a way I can create a button for this, so I get a popup saying what's the new password and it gets applied to all stored SSH Sessions?

Thanks.
Old 08-07-2019, 09:02 AM
VanDyke Technical Support

Hi UsamaWaheed,

Quote:
I usually get the keyboard interactive authentication screen when I need to login.
The above makes it sound like you don't have a password/keyboard-interactive response saved in the sessions at all. Or did you mean you get the keyboard interactive auth screen when you need to change the password?

If so, I believe yes to the first question, but I want to verify where this data is stored for you. For SSH sessions, the password/keyboard-interactive response is saved either in:
  • Connection / SSH2 category of Session Options (Highlight Password or Keyboard-Interactive in the Authentication grouping, then choose the Properties... button. Is Store password enabled?)

• Connection / Logon Actions category of Session Options (Are there entries in the Send/Expect fields?)

Quote:
Furthermore, is there a way I can create a button for this, so I get a popup saying what's the new password and it gets applied to all stored SSH Sessions?
I don't understand this question. Are you looking for a random password generator?

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730
Old 08-14-2019, 03:57 AM

Thank you Brenda,for taking the time to reply to my query.

Let me explain in detail:

So for all SSH Sessions I have the following properties:

The keyboard interactive is not selected. So what happens is that we use our Active Directory account for logins. And after 15 days we get a popup on our servers to change the password for admin accounts (which we are using to login to the switches). Once the password is changed, and I try to open a session, I get the interactive keyboard option with a "Store Password" Checkbox. So the issue is I have over 200+ devices that I need to logon to after the update and it gets tiresome to keep entering password and checking the store password. And this is only for 15 days then its rinse and repeat.

If I enable the Keyboard interactive login and goto properties it does give the option for stored password, just wondering if I can bulk select 200+ SSH session and re-configure the stored password for all of them?

Lastly, with regards to the button options, I was asking if there is a script or something similar that can be setup to give a text field pop-up, where I will enter my new password (at the end of 15 days) and it will automatically update the SSH sessions with this new password entered in the text field box.
Attached Images
File Type: png [Aug-14]-000-[12.48.25 PM].png (29.0 KB, 32 views)

Last edited by UsamaWaheed; 08-14-2019 at 04:01 AM.
Old 08-14-2019, 09:46 AM
VanDyke Technical Support

Hi UsamaWaheed,

You would use Default Session to store your credentials across many sessions.
You can employ the power of editing the Default session to make these changes to all of your existing and future sessions. Here are some links to tips and a video that provide more details about using the Default session to make mass changes to multiple sessions:
https://www.vandyke.com/support/tips/defaultset.html
https://www.vandyke.com/support/tips/multisessions.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RbuZn9L48g
Note: In order for a "change" to be applied to all other sessions, the Default session's option/field you're targeting must actually be modified/different from its current value. This means that if the targeted field you want to apply to all other sessions is *already* set to the value you want, you must first change it to something *different* (and apply that "change") and then edit the Default session again to set the option to its *desired* value (and apply that "change").

Since you would be making a change that affects many sessions, the recommendation is to export your config as a backup as a best practice. That can be done from the Tools menu (Export Settings), you would just specify an XML file where the info should be exported.
As to the feature you describe, it does not exist presently, but I have added this thread to a feature request in our product enhancement database for a substitution database (username/password). Should a future release of SecureCRT include this feature, notification will be posted here.

If you prefer direct email notification, send an email to support@vandyke.com and include Feature Request - Forum Thread #13867 in the subject line or use this form from the support page of our website.

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730