Welcome to the VanDyke Software Forums

Join the discussion today!

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > General

Old 03-30-2015, 08:48 AM

Connection pre-empting Connect Bar edit box

I often use the connect bar to connect to multiple hosts in quick succession and this has caused me to get frustrated often by a default behavior of SecureCRT.

Here's the situation:

1) I type in an IP address into the Connect bar and hit enter (IE: 1.1.1.1)
2) While it's initiating its connection, I hit ALT-R and begin typing in my next IP address to connect to (IE: 2.2.2.2)

If the first connection completes while I'm typing in the IP address for the 2nd connection, then my cursor is moved to the newly connected session window. This usually results in some of the IP address that I was typing to be in the Connection Bar and some of it now being typed in at the "username: " prompt of the newly connection session.

It's very annoying.

I do like how the cursor is moved from the connection bar to the terminal pane after hitting <enter>, but not that's it moved again after a connection is made while I'm typing.

Is it possible to disable the 2nd moving of the cursor?
Old 03-30-2015, 09:59 AM
VanDyke Technical Support

Hi Casey,

I am not able to simulate this since I am either not fast enough, or my test servers are not slow enough.

I have created a feature request to change the behavior such that the terminal window will not take focus from the Connect Bar. We will post to this thread if we add the feature.

If you would like to be notified directly, please complete and submit the form at the following location:
Submit Feature Request

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
505-332-5730
Old 03-30-2015, 10:56 AM

I'll email you a video later today to demo it. I hit devices over the WAN, so latency likely makes the problem more evident for me.
Old 03-30-2015, 12:27 PM

Hi Casey,

It is not that I don't believe you. I can understand how this could and would be a problem, and as such created the feature request. I just don't have a high latency network to test against.

You don't need to create a video unless you absolutely want to make a video. If you make it and send it, I will watch it.

Perhaps I don't understand the need for a video. Are you suggesting that this is a bug rather than a feature request?

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
505-332-5730
Old 03-31-2015, 07:32 AM

I went ahead and sent you a video, because.. well, I enjoy making videos as a way to remove any ambiguity.

I wouldn't classify this as a bug, because I see no evidence that this isn't working as intended. The logic it's following seems to be very deliberate; it just also happens to be very annoying on higher latency connections.

Given that I happen to work remotely 99% of the time, I run into this constantly.

Take care,
CB
Old 03-31-2015, 08:53 AM

Hi Casey,

The clarity of the video is appreciated. I will leave the feature request as is, and we will post here if we do add the feature in a future release of SecureCRT.

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
505-332-5730