Welcome to the VanDyke Software Forums

Join the discussion today!

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > SecureCRT on the Mac

Old 09-03-2019, 07:12 AM

SecureCRT on Mac Randomly Lagging

I have SecureCRT 8.1.4 (old, I know) installed on a 2018 15-inch MacBook Pro running Mojave. I get random slowdowns when changing back to an active SecureCRT window and have since I first installed the application. There doesn't have to be an active connection for me to see the slowdown which makes me think its the application and not a connection. There's also no obvious pattern except that it lags only when switching back to the SecureCRT application from other windows but once the lag is done I don't have any more problems while SecureCRT is the active window. I can switch back and forth to other applications for hours and all of a sudden switching back to SecureCRT I get the slowdown again. This is the only application I ever have slow down like this. When it happens it's like the mouse gets stuck clicked down as well. Sometimes it'll start dragging a session out of session manager, other times it'll highlight random text until I click again or anything else you can think of that could happen by clicking and dragging the mouse, but it always takes 5-10 seconds of the beachball before I see the application act like it's caught up and start the mouse drag. After it has caught up and I click elsewhere to "unstick" the mouse it works fine. This happens with multiple different mice and the trackpad so I don't think it's the mouse I'm using and it doesn't happen in other applications.

Any ideas on how I can fix this? Is this a known bug? There was something similar listed as a fix in the Windows SecureCRT 8.5 changelog but I didn't see anything like this listed for Mac. I also have SecureCRT installed on a Windows 10 machine and have no problems with it.
Old 09-03-2019, 11:58 AM
VanDyke Technical Support

Hi parduemw,

Support for SecureCRT on Mojave was not implemented until the release of SecureCRT 8.5.

Do you experience the same laggy behavior if you upgrade to 8.5.4?

For your convenience the following link will redirect you to install SecureCRT 8.5.4 from our website:
https://www.vandyke.com/cgi-bin/rele...duct=securecrt

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730
Old 09-03-2019, 12:20 PM

Well, to be honest I hadn't tried yet. Only because the changelog didn't appear to address the issue but I have just downloaded an evaluation copy and will try 8.5.4 and see what happens. It could take a day or two before I know for certain since the problem is difficult to reproduce but I'll post the results here in the next couple days at most.

Thanks!!
Old 09-03-2019, 03:25 PM

Hi parduemw,

Sounds great! I look forward to hearing about your results with 8.5.4! If you do experience the same behavior, please let me know!

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730
Old 09-04-2019, 06:27 AM

Well, using 8.5.4 and I just had the same issue again. It didn't seem to slow down for as long as before but that could have just been chance, it didn't always hang for the same length of time, but it did hang and the mouse was "stuck" clicked down and highlighting random text once it recovered......
Old 09-04-2019, 10:58 AM

Hi parduemw,

Thank you for downloading and testing with SecureCRT 8.5.4!

I would like to gather some additional information about the behavior.

When does the hang occur? Is it as soon as you try to connect to the remote host?

If you open your native terminal and perform a similar task do you notice the same behavior?

Can you please provide me with the exact steps that you are taking in SecureCRT and provide me with a detailed description of the behavior that you encounter as you are executing said steps?

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730
Old 09-04-2019, 11:58 AM

When does the hang occur? Is it as soon as you try to connect to the remote host?
- At random times. I might be connected to an active session, I might have been connected for a while, I might be opening a new session or I might not be connected to anything, sometimes I don't even have an old session open, but when I click onto an already open instance of SecureCRT from another application sometimes the application hangs and when it starts responding again it acts as if the main mouse button is being held down until I click somewhere else again.

If you open your native terminal and perform a similar task do you notice the same behavior?
- No but I don't notice this same behavior with any other application either. It only happens with SecureCRT and since it happens regardless of whether or not there is an active terminal session it doesn't seem that the issue is actually related to the terminal sessions, just the application itself.

Can you please provide me with the exact steps that you are taking in SecureCRT and provide me with a detailed description of the behavior that you encounter as you are executing said steps?
- I click onto SecureCRT from another active window to change focus back to SecureCRT and the application hangs. I get the beachball mouse pointer sometimes, other times it remains a regular mouse pointer but won't respond. After several seconds the application begins responding again but it acts as if I am holding the main mouse button down. This morning it began dragging the SecureCRT window around my desktop until I clicked the mouse again to get it to release SecureCRT. Other times it will select text inside the active terminal session until I click elsewhere and then anything I may have typed during that time will appear in the terminal at the prompt. Still other times it will begin dragging specific sessions from the Session Manager window and I have to click elsewhere to get it to quit dragging the session. Essentially it's just randomly hanging and then interpreting my initial mouse click to change focus to SecureCRT as a click and hold until I click again elsewhere.
Old 09-04-2019, 01:07 PM

Hi parduemw,

Are you storing your Configuration folder locally (on the SecureCRT machine )?

You can determine the path to your Configuration folder in Options -> Global Options -> Configuration Paths.

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730
Old 09-04-2019, 01:17 PM

Yes, the configuration file is stored locally.
Old 09-04-2019, 02:46 PM

Hi parduemw,

Can you please send an email to support@vandyke.com with Attn: Brittney, Forum Thread #13898 in the subject field?

I would like to gather some additional information from you so that I can have our QA/Dev team investigate the behavior further.

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730
Old 09-04-2019, 02:49 PM

I've sent the email as requested.