Welcome to the VanDyke Software Forums

Join the discussion today!

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > General

Old 11-26-2017, 11:40 AM

New Feature Request - Filter by folder name

Hi,

Currently the Session Manager can filter by session name, but there isn't an option to filter by folder name as well.

Please consider the following options
- Filter by session name <Alt+I> (default)
- Filter by folder name
- Filter by session and folder name

Cheers,
thfs
Old 11-27-2017, 10:56 AM
VanDyke Technical Support

Hi thfs!

Thank you for the request! I can see how this functionality would be useful!

I have added this thread to a feature request in our product enhancement database to include folders in the filtered items during a filtered search. Should a future release of SecureCRT include this feature, notification will be posted here.

If you prefer direct email notification, contact support@vandyke.com and include "Feature Request - Forum Thread #12912" in the subject line.

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730
Old 11-30-2017, 11:18 AM

Thank you, could the option of uppercase and/or lowercase (e.g. 'Match case' when using Find) be also added?

Cheers,
thfs
Old 11-30-2017, 11:59 AM

thfs,

I have added an additional feature request to include "match case" functionality for the Session Manager filter.

There is another Session Manager search option that may work better for you.

All you have to do is press ctrl+F when your focus is on the Session Manager and a "Find Session" dialog box will appear.

Select the parameters that you would like for your session search. You can filter your search by session name, hostname, description, and/or folder name and there is also an option to match case.

(You can also access "Find Session" by expanding your Session Manager window and selecting the binoculars icon.)

Is this helpful?

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730
Old 07-22-2019, 10:31 AM

Hi all,

The ability to filter a search on folder names also has been added to a pre-release version of SecureCRT.

If you would like to try the pre-release build, please send an email to support@vandyke.com and reference Pre-release with Folder Filter Search in the subject line.

Making the pre-release build available requires a download account so if not writing from the email address associated with your download account, please include that info in the body of the email.

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730

Last edited by bgagnon; 08-14-2019 at 09:04 AM. Reason: Clarification. It's NOT just top-level folders
Old 07-26-2020, 01:46 PM

The feature is advertised but it is not working for me.

Hello there,

I am beta testing the version below and I have been trying different things with some sessions and folders.

Version 8.7.2 (x64 build 2214) - Official Release - May 14, 2020

The little search box does say "Filter by folder/session name <ALT+I>", but I still cannot see the folders coming up filtered, only the sessions. Am I missing something?

Thanks

Ruy
Old 07-26-2020, 03:41 PM

Hi Ruy,

It's no longer a beta release, it's the current, official release.

What are you typing in the search field? What are the folder names?

Getting some screenshots with this info is going to be necessary. Please send them to support@vandyke.com and include Attn Brenda - Forum Thread #12912 in the subject line.

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730
Old 07-26-2020, 06:03 PM

Smile Problem solved - User error

Hello Brenda,

I kept poking around until I found out what I was missing in the help file. I guess I am used to other software which does not require me to enter a "/" to show me folders.... but that's ok.

For anyone following this thread, this is an extract verbatim from the help file in the program:
  • Below the toolbar is a filter box. As text is typed into the filter box, the session list is updated to include only the items that match the text.
  • To include folders in the filtered sessions, type "/" after text in the filter box.
  • Partial matches are supported. For example, if "Rout/" is typed in the filter box, a folder named "MyRouters" and all of its contents would be included in the filtered session list.

Now, I still think this fact should be made more obvious somehow... a tooltip maybe?

Anyways, thanks for the prompt reply. You guys are awesome!

Ruy
Old 07-27-2020, 07:24 AM

Hi Ruy,

I am glad to hear you were able to resolve the issue.

Quote:
I kept poking around until I found out what I was missing in the help file. I guess I am used to other software which does not require me to enter a "/" to show me folders.... but that's ok.
You have to have *something* to distinguish it from a session, right?

Quote:
Now, I still think this fact should be made more obvious somehow... a tooltip maybe?
I have created a feature request on your behalf in our product enhancement database to add a tooltip to indicate / needed for folder search in search filter and added this thread to it. Should a future release of SecureCRT include this feature, notification will be posted here.

If you prefer direct email notification, send an email to support@vandyke.com and include "Feature Request - Forum Thread #12912" in the subject line or use this form from the support page of our website.

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730