Welcome to the VanDyke Software Forums

Join the discussion today!

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > General

Old 06-10-2011, 04:12 AM

Unhappy Extra log file variables

Hello,

I'm using SecureCRT to connect to alot of different machines.
My sessions list has a directory to divide the sessions. For myself I've created a directory for each customer which includes all the sessions related to that customer (as follows).

-sessions
+customer1
-session1
-session2
+customer1
-session1
-session2

Since I need to log each session I've created a file name with variables:
c:\docs\customer1\logs\%S (%H).log

This works great but I cannot seem to find a variable to use the directory in which I saved the session in the logfile. So now instead of using 1 default profile for all my sessions I need to manualy adjust each and every session to include the proper directory structure.

It seems pretty logical to me that we should be able to use the directory as a variable just like we do the session and hostnames.

The same goes for example the SFTP tab.

Ideally I'd set this once in the default profile and be done. However, currently I need to edit this again in each and every sessions
c:\docs\customer1\files\ should be configurable as ie. c:\docs\%d\files\.

Is there currently a way to use the directory in which the session is stored as a variable? If not, is this easy enough to program and useful enough to be considered as an additional feature?
Old 06-10-2011, 08:12 AM
VanDyke Technical Support

Hi koenv,

Thanks for the question. This is currently not an option. I have created a feature request in our SecureCRT development database to add this functionality. Should a future release of SecureCRT have a variable to use the session's folder path for logging purposes, we will post to this forum thread.

If you would like to be notified directly, please complete and submit the form at the following location:
Submit Feature Request

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
505-332-5730
Old 01-04-2017, 03:25 PM
VanDyke Product Director

A new substitution parameter %F has been added that can be used to specify the session's subfolder in a log filename. This has been implemented in a pre-beta version of SecureCRT. If you'd like to try it, please send email to me at Maureen.Jett@vandyke.com.

Maureen
Old 01-05-2017, 06:04 AM

And to think I didn't even wait the longest for this feature hehehe

Love this
Yet... I'll try and explain one catch I came across so far. Not sure if you'll even want to 'fix' this one.

Most of my sessions are sorted in folders per customer.
+customer1
-session1
-session2
+customer2
-session1
-session2

For this the new feature works great.
The result is c:\docs4work\customer1\logs\session1.log

Now, some customers however have multiple sites with lots and lots of sessions. For these I had the following setup:
+customer1
+campus 1
-session1
-session2
+campus2
-session 1
+customer2
-session1
-session2

Where before I had a folder with logs per customer as follows:
c:\docs4work\customer1\logs\campus1\session1.log

The new (%F) result is c:\docs4work\customer1\campus1\logs\session1.log

Yes, I know, I'm being greedy, but perhaps you at VanDyke see some merit as well?
Now I will be rearranging my folders to fit the current %F implementation untill but maybe, just maybe, VanDyke might want to implement %F1, %F2, ... %Fn to match subfolders? :-)
Old 01-05-2017, 08:19 AM
VanDyke Technical Support

Hi koenv,

I have created a feature request on your behalf in our product enhancement database to add additional levels to %F logging substitution parameter for subfolders. Should a future release of SecureCRT include this feature, notification will be posted here.

If you prefer direct email notification, send an email to support@vandyke.com and include "Feature Request - Forum Thread #8103" in the subject line or use this form from the support page of our website.

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730