Welcome to the VanDyke Software Forums

Join the discussion today!

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > General

Old 03-15-2010, 04:42 AM

slow session loading from network share

Hi @all,

since I'm new here, let me introduce myself.

My name is Marcus and I'm working for a network security company.

We recently switched to SecureCRT from putty for varios reasons. One of the most important was a central session storage. I've converted all of my putty sessions (thanks to Todd from VanDyke for the script) to SecureCRT and saved them on a network share.

So far so good. I changed to config to use the network share as Config directory.

But now when I open the session manager it loads for about 10 seconds (no joke) until those 500 Sessions in about 40 folders are loaded. And that happens every time I open the session-manager.

I've recently created a exeption within our F-Secure Anti-Virus Software as well with no change.

Any idea would be great since that's a no go for the technical staff here.

Best regards

Marcus
Old 03-15-2010, 10:47 AM
VanDyke Technical Support

Hello msw,

I have added this thread to a feature request in our development database for better performance when the Connect dialog is slow
to display because the Config folder exists on the network (cache session data). Should a future release of SecureCRT include this feature, notification will be posted here.

If you prefer direct e-mail notification, contact support@vandyke.com and include "Feature Request - Forum Thread #5319" in the subject line.

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730
Old 03-15-2010, 11:12 AM

Hello bgagnon,

does that mean there's nothing wrong and loading sessions from network share is just incredibly slow ?

Because all of those sessions just take 5MB of data.

Best regards

Marcus
Old 03-15-2010, 11:22 AM

Sessions in one file

Is it possible to have all sessions in on file ?
Old 03-15-2010, 03:31 PM

Hi msw,

To your earlier post, this is the expected behavior and it isn't so much the total "size" of the .ini files, but the number of files. The delay is caused by the fact that every .ini file must be "touched" in order to be displayed in the 'Connect' dialog.

One alternative is to group your sessions into two or three config locations and then have shortcuts that point to the appropriate config (ie: SecureCRT_to_routers, SecureCRT_to_switches, etc.).

Another setting that may be affecting the display time is the Global Option 'Save expanded folder state in connect dialog'. Disabling this option can provide up to 20% savings in the time it takes to open the connection dialog.

As to your later request, of having one database file for all sessions, this was the prior behavior of SecureCRT, but as the available options have grown in the GUI, so too, has the .ini file. Since there are some ".ini" file only options in SecureCRT, I believe the reasoning behind a file for each session was that searching one file containing data on 500 sessions could be problematic.

I have added this thread to a feature request in our development database for the ability to use multiple "default session" templates instead of just one. Should a future release of SecureCRT include this feature, notification will be posted here.

If you prefer direct e-mail notification, contact support@vandyke.com and include "Feature Request - Forum Thread #5319" in the subject line.

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730
Old 03-16-2010, 10:22 AM

Hi bgagnon,

thanks for your suggestions. The problem is, that those are a no-go in out setup.

We have about 500 Connections in 90 folders. One folder for one customer.

So I need to look for a speedup ........

Is there no way to cache the sessions locally ?

Can it be that our company is the only one with issues like this ?
Old 03-16-2010, 03:57 PM

Hi msw,

Sorry for the delay in my response. I contacted the SecureCRT product director to find out if there were any additional suggestions we could make to improve performance. Her suggestions are below:
  • Turn off Descriptions in the Connect dialog (found on the right-click menu)
  • Reduce the number of folders
As to this question:
Quote:
Can it be that our company is the only one with issues like this ?
You are not, but many organizations that cannot tolerate the delay have either implemented the prior workarounds suggested or returned to using a local config.

Some have developed their own workaround. For example: planning ahead and opening all the sessions needed at once to avoid accessing the 'Connect' dialog many times a day.

I'm sorry I do not have much other advice to give.

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730
Old 03-17-2010, 03:31 AM

Hi bgagnon,

no problem for the response time.

Sad to hear that there's just the workaround for local configs.

The centralized session storage was one big point for the decision to buy SecureCRT.

Maybe the development team catches up on my suggestion to implement a database backend for the session storage.

Best regards

Marcus
Old 03-17-2010, 11:35 AM

Hello Marcus,

Rather than add you to another existing feature request that does not quite meet your needs, I would be glad to create a brand new one with your suggestions. There is an existing one for the ability to associate an ODBC database with the Connect dialog.

Could you describe how you think the functionality/performance you require might best be implemented?

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730
Old 03-18-2010, 03:22 AM

Hi Brenda,

I think a good way would be a MySQL Backend, since many companies have those databases in use already.

We have some very good coders in the company so if you need some specific information just let me know.

I'm a support guy, no coder
Old 03-18-2010, 04:35 PM

Hi Marcus,

Thank you for the suggestions. I will edit the existing feature request so that it includes associating a relational **or** non-relational database with the Connect dialog.

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730
Old 06-25-2010, 06:36 AM

Any updates on this ?

Best regards

Marcus
Old 06-25-2010, 08:11 AM

Hi Marcus,

Feature requests are prioritized based on a number of factors, including, but not limited to the number of requests, and the amount of implementation work required.

We have received requests for this feature, but it has not yet become a top priority for implementation.

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730
Old 07-02-2010, 12:11 AM

We have put in a feature request for a database backend as well. We have seen the same slow loading of network share configs.

We are working on a workaround for our situation but we have about 400-800 session files and 50 folders or so. So not sure if we are going to be able to do much other than just stick with the local.

One idea we had was to have local session files on each computer but then have a script which syncs up the config to a central location at login and logoff. However, the fact SSH passwords are encrypted in the .ini files (And NO way to disable this or even create the encrypted password hash) etc.. makes this troublesome...

So still trying to come up with a 'perfect', workaround. But we would LOVE to see a mysql database backend feature that would also have some sort of local cache as well so that the client will survive being disconnected from the network database.

Maybe Vandyke needs to build a new product that is a "Central Connection Database" which you could charge separately for. We would be willing to pay at least $20-$30 per client endpoint for this feature. Just a thought..
Old 07-02-2010, 10:46 AM

Hello vtphilk,

I have added this thread to a feature request in our development database for the ability to associate an ODBC database with the Connect Dialog. I included your comments with regard to a new connection database product. Should a future release of SecureCRT include this feature, notification will be posted here.

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730