VanDyke Software Forums

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > SecureCRT 5.1/SecureFX 3.1/VShell 2.6 Beta
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2005, 12:49 AM

Annoying Port Forwarding Error Dialog

When using Dynamic Port Forwarding, if a particular connection fails, a dialog box pops up in the middle of the screen with an error message like:

"Could not start port forwarding from local service 192.168.0.10:2611 to 204.232.24.100:25. Reason: The channel could not be opened because the connection failed. Server error details: Connection Timed Out."

Is there any way to prevent this dialog from popping up every time a connection fails? If not, you definitely need to add an option to disable it, because it's extremely annoying. Connections fail all the time for numerous reasons, such as a timeout from the remote server. When using port forwarding, there can literally be hundreds of connections going on simultaneously and it's no big deal if a few of them fail. Therefore, I don't want to be informed of this with dialog box every time it happens. In EnTunnel, it simply logs the failure and continues without alerting the user. SecureCRT should behave the same way, or at least have an option to run in quiet mode.

Another related question: Do you plan to add Dynamic Port Forwarding to EnTunnel anytime soon? It's really kind of ridiculous that an application specifically designed for SSH tunneling, doesn't do Dynamic Port Forwarding!
Old 04-10-2005, 06:51 AM
Weekend Programmer and CEO

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkonia
Another related question: Do you plan to add Dynamic Port Forwarding to EnTunnel anytime soon? It's really kind of ridiculous that an application specifically designed for SSH tunneling, doesn't do Dynamic Port Forwarding!
Entunnel 1.2 will support the dynamic port forwarding option.

We don't have a release date for Entunnel 1.2 yet. If you're interested in alpha testing Entunnel 1.2, please drop me a note (Jeff.P.Van.Dyke@vandyke.com).

--Jeff
Old 04-15-2005, 03:18 PM
VanDyke Product Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkonia
When using Dynamic Port Forwarding, if a particular connection fails, a dialog box pops up in the middle of the screen with an error message like:

"Could not start port forwarding from local service 192.168.0.10:2611 to 204.232.24.100:25. Reason: The channel could not be opened because the connection failed. Server error details: Connection Timed Out."

Is there any way to prevent this dialog from popping up every time a connection fails? If not, you definitely need to add an option to disable it, because it's extremely annoying. Connections fail all the time for numerous reasons, such as a timeout from the remote server. When using port forwarding, there can literally be hundreds of connections going on simultaneously and it's no big deal if a few of them fail. Therefore, I don't want to be informed of this with dialog box every time it happens. In EnTunnel, it simply logs the failure and continues without alerting the user. SecureCRT should behave the same way, or at least have an option to run in quiet mode.
Thanks for posting. This is a problem with port forwarding in general, not just dynamic port forwarding. I have have added your request to our development database. What I proposed was having these types of messages go to the trace output rather than being displayed in a dialog. Would this work better for you?

If this doesn't get done in 5.0, we'll consider it for 5.1.

Maureen
Old 04-29-2005, 04:29 PM
VanDyke Product Director

We have modified SecureCRT to send some of the port-forwarding-related warnings to the trace and log output rather than displaying a message box. I'd like to have some people try this to make sure we implemented this the way you would expect. If you would like to try an installer with this change, please send an e-mail to me at Maureen.Jett@vandyke.com.

Thanks,
Maureen