VanDyke Software Forums

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > SecureCRT 5.0 Alpha/SecureFX 3.0 Alpha
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2005, 04:58 PM

Strange problems with selecting tabs

I'm running the latest alpha and i'm having some very stage issues were i am unable to close tabs and also when trying to select tabs and it doesn't work i've resorted to using ctrl+tab to move along tabs.

is there any tests i can to to help or try and resolve this issue.

Sean
Old 02-15-2005, 05:02 PM

Sean,

What steps are you taking to close the tabs? Are you right-clicking on the tab and then choosing 'Close' from the menu, or are you relying on keyboard shortcuts?
Old 02-15-2005, 06:34 PM

i was using all methods right click and close to the little X in the corner and also the exit exit from ssh and have close on exit button ticked it options nothing seems to close them.

also if this helps it only seems to happen when i use use my ssh_new_session hot key

when i open a new session thats when the tabs go strange and are hard to select.

can anyone else try this i've just installed on the latest alpha and it does the same thing

update i've tried to get the strange problems when closing windows but it doesn't seem to be happening in the latest version i will try again tomorrow see if i can recreate it.

Sean

Last edited by c0w; 02-15-2005 at 06:40 PM.
Old 02-15-2005, 06:37 PM
VanDyke Product Director

I think the problem you are having selecting tabs is related to the drag and drop support that was recently added. It is too sensitive and thinks that you are trying to drag when you are just trying to select. We will look into this issue.

The not being able to close tabs is strange. dcomo asked some good questions that would help us track this problem down.

Maureen
Old 02-16-2005, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maureen
I think the problem you are having selecting tabs is related to the drag and drop support that was recently added. It is too sensitive and thinks that you are trying to drag when you are just trying to select. We will look into this issue.

The not being able to close tabs is strange. dcomo asked some good questions that would help us track this problem down.

Maureen
I am having that problem as well.

To fix it I think you should probably just always activate the tab that is moved. That way if you don't really move it anywhere because you move it to the same location it is in, it is still activated.

Thanks for adding the drag and drop movement though!
Old 02-21-2005, 12:05 PM

Since I've upgraded to build 722 I not only see the behavior described above, but at times after clicking on another session the title bar indicates that I have changed sessions, but the screen or the icon (I'm switching between a rlogin session and a SSH2 session) did not change. If I use <CTRL><TAB> it seems to work reliably.

John
Old 02-21-2005, 02:42 PM
VanDyke Product Director

I believe we fixed the problem with selecting tabs not working correctly. I have made an installer available to those of you who reported it in this thread.

Maureen
Old 02-21-2005, 06:42 PM

This appears to be working perfectly now for me. I have been playing with changing tabs for the last few minutes and it seems to no longer have the 'what you select is not always what you see' issue.

However, I do have a suggestion. Since you can now drag and drop the tabs into position and depending on how to click on the tab and move your mouse, you could wind up moving a tab unintentionally, here is a suggestion:

- Before a tab can be moved, it has to be clicked and held for a full second, before it can be moved. (This may be toggable via menu option.)

--or--

- Have a button or checkbox on the tab bar to 'lock' the tabs into place and during the lock, they cannot be moved.

I infrequently move my tabs around, however I do quite a bit of switching by clicking. Many times I move a tab unintentionally.

What do you all think? (Most likely this will be a 5.1 suggestion...)
Old 02-21-2005, 07:10 PM
VanDyke Product Director

In the latest version, there is some play between how much you have to move the cursor before it drags the tab to a new position. There is also an insertion tab that gives you a visual cue that the tab is being moved. After you've had a chance to look at the new version, please let me know if you think a delay or an option is still needed.

Maureen
Old 02-21-2005, 08:30 PM

Maureen,

This suggestion was actually posted _after_ I reviewed the latest build. I did notice that there is an insertion marker that appears upon moving a tab, however my thinking is that for newer users, the interface may still be a little too sensitive.

However, please remember that these are only my thoughts and I appreciate the feedback from others.
Old 02-22-2005, 08:38 AM

Quote:
I believe we fixed the problem with selecting tabs not working correctly. I have made an installer available to those of you who reported it in this thread.

Maureen

Selection of tab immediately on mouse click and before starting move operation works great and cures the problem.

The drag and drop is not too sensitive, even if you accidently pick up the tab it doesn't get moved until you drag it past the 1/2 point in an adjacent tab so you would have to really intend on moving it.

Perhaps you should just turn off the indicator when it is not going to move the tab instead of showing it when the tab is getting moved in place and the indicator is adjacent to the selected tab.
Old 02-23-2005, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Maureen,

I don't know if this is a related problem, but maybe it is: In the lates build (722), when switching tabs, the screen is not updated. I.e. it looks as if the tabs have switched, but the screen content you see is from the last tab you had open.

The cursor, however, moves to a new position, so it seems to me as if the tabs have actually switched, with just the tiny problem that the content is not redrawn.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that this is not happening all the time. It happens a lot, but I'm usually able to fix it by switching to a third tab and then back to the one I really want to open.

Last edited by undef; 02-23-2005 at 04:28 AM.
Old 02-23-2005, 07:52 AM

Undef,

Send an e-mail over to Maureen and request the latest build. This functionality, seems to be corrected in the latest build. (It's newer than build 722).

Enjoy :-)
Old 03-01-2005, 03:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by undef
Maureen,

I don't know if this is a related problem, but maybe it is: In the lates build (722), when switching tabs, the screen is not updated. I.e. it looks as if the tabs have switched, but the screen content you see is from the last tab you had open.

The cursor, however, moves to a new position, so it seems to me as if the tabs have actually switched, with just the tiny problem that the content is not redrawn.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that this is not happening all the time. It happens a lot, but I'm usually able to fix it by switching to a third tab and then back to the one I really want to open.
That happened to me once but I have not been able to repeat it.
It occured when I switched while a connection was occuring but the server was very slow responding.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: