VanDyke Software Forums

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > SecureCRT 5.1/SecureFX 3.1/VShell 2.6 Beta
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2006, 02:36 PM

PHP tags altered on upload

Hello,

my beta version of SecureFX is messing with my php tags in my scripts when I open them from the server, edit and save back to the server.. I'll save it as..

Code:
<?PHP

.. code here..
and it shows up ont he server as..

Code:
?>PHP

.. code here ..
or I'll save it with short tags as..

Code:
<?
.. code here...
and it will show up on the server as..

Code:
?>
.. code here...
I thought it might be my text editor, but I tried 2 different ones using "Open with" on the right click context menu..

Any clue whats wrong?

Take care
- Cecil
Old 03-01-2006, 02:37 PM

Oh btw, it wont always do it.. but when it does, I have to close out SecureFX, reboot and then it seems to work.. very strange error

- Cecil
Old 03-09-2006, 03:02 PM

Happened again today.. and no matter what text editor I use too.. another thing, it strips out the ending ?> too.. not sure what the deal is, but its definetly related to SecureFX. occurs when I double click a file and open it in my text editor (any editor) and save it back to the server.. not sure if that helps or not..

- Cecil
Old 03-09-2006, 06:15 PM

Hi Cecil,

That is strange, intermittent, you have to reboot , and I think it would make me wonder about every PHP file I edit. I hope you have not lost too much time or work because of it.

My initial thought was the editor but you seem to have covered that aspect.

I don't know have a clue what the problem could be but wanted to let you know that I'm looking into it.

Does the same thing happen if you use the official release?

Approximately how many files do you need to edit before the problem occurs?
[http://www.vandyke.com/support]
Old 03-10-2006, 02:25 PM

Well, I've been uploading to the server and then giong in with securecrt and editing the files from the command line to fix the errors.. and it appears it not only hapens when I edit a file from the server and save it back. I just now created test.php and here are the contents..

Code:
<?PHP

echo "hello world";

?>
I saved it to my scripts folder and uploaded it to teh server and now the contents are this..

Code:
?>PHP

echo "hello world";
I created that file with Notepad++

Now I delete the file and use Metapad to create the exact same thing..

Code:
<?PHP

echo "hello world";

?>
I upload it to the server (in ASCII mode btw, so its not that!)

and now I can open it in either Metapad or Notepad++ and in both I see..

Code:
?>PHP

echo "hello world";
going to reboot real quick and try the exact same test.. I'll follow here after I get back online..

BTW, Metapad is more of a notepad like program, the Notepad++ is more of an IDE than a notepad replacement, just FYI..

- Cecil
Old 03-10-2006, 02:39 PM

OK I just rebooted and its still doing it.. hmm.. oh and forgot to mention, its not just when I edit from the server, its doing it from newly created files on my desktop that are uploaded to the server too.. Doesn't appear to be as random as I originally thought.

It only seems to have issues with begining and ending PHP tags only though.. for instance, I just created this file..

Code:
<?PHP

echo "hello world";

?>
this is outside of php
<?

echo "this is inside php";

?>
uploaded to ther server in ASCII.. and this is what I get if I open it (even from command line)

Code:
?>PHP

echo "hello world";

?>
this is outside of php
<?

echo "this is inside php";
the middle PHP code was unaffected.. only the begining and ending tags were altered or removed..

OH and forgot to mention, it wasn't doing this in the 3.0, I upgraded to 3.1 and overwrote my 3.0 install..

- Cecil

Last edited by viguru; 03-10-2006 at 02:41 PM.
Old 03-10-2006, 02:46 PM

OH on a side note.. found a tiny glitch in securecrt 5.1 beta3 (and was doing it in beta2 also, but I never used beta1).. the tabs, sometimes they end up tiny and grouped off to the left side, if I restore down and then maximize, it seems to auto correct the problem so not a real big deal, just figured I'd mention it while I had your attention
Old 03-10-2006, 05:45 PM

Hi Cecil,

I think we've had reports of similar problems when uploading .php files. I've added your forum posts to an existing problem report. If our developers provide a fix and you would like to be notified by e-mail, please send a note to support@vandyke.com and refer to forum thread 1311.

Regarding the problem with tabs... it might be better to start a new forum post that has a more accurate title so that if others have seen the same thing they can chime in.

I haven't seen the problem before and even when trying unusual things, I could not reproduce the problem as I understand it.

Would you mind sending e-mail to support@vandyke.com providing steps to reproduce the problem, and also provide a window shot showing the problem with the windows grouped off to the left side just to make sure we understand, please?

By the way, thank you for reporting any problem you see.
Old 03-13-2006, 09:05 AM

Nah I dont need notified, I'm an update junkie and check for updates daily anyways

As for the tabs thing, yeah i can do that. It doesn't happen all the time, and I can't seem to be able to make it do it now.. I'll try a few more things and see if I can find a common factor in it and send a screenshot.

Take care,
- Cecil
Old 03-20-2006, 10:11 AM

Found something else.. today I uploaded a file, without thinking

Code:
<?
..code here
?><HTML>
...html page here..
</HTML>
became...

Code:
</HTML>
..code here
?><HTML>
...html page here..
not sure if that helps or not.. but I found it odd that it took the last line and moved it to the top like that.. before I thought it was reversing the tags, but instead it appears its taking the last tag and putting it where the first one is.. *shrug*

Take care
- Cecil

Last edited by viguru; 03-20-2006 at 10:15 AM.
Old 03-20-2006, 12:00 PM

Thanks for the additional information. I've updated the bug report. Please let us know if you discover anything else.
Old 03-20-2006, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viguru
Found something else.. today I uploaded a file, without thinking

Code:
<?
..code here
?><HTML>
...html page here..
</HTML>
became...

Code:
</HTML>
..code here
?><HTML>
...html page here..
This looks very much like the problem I reported yesterday: when uploading text files SecureFX 3.1b4 sometimes puts (a piece of) the last line somewhere at the beginning of the file.

At first I thought it had to do with a missing final newline in a Python source file, but that seems to be just a coincidence. I noticed the same problem with a regular .txt file (with a final newline) as well.
Old 03-20-2006, 02:36 PM

Thanks Renep,

Good catch. It looks like there might be multiple problems here, but I've cross referenced the two problem reports for now in case the problems are related.
Old 03-21-2006, 08:50 AM

Hey guys!

Like Renep, I'm also using SFTP protocol and going from windowsxp.. We're using OpenSSH too but the versions vary drastically between all our servers (couple hundred in all, across 5 hosting companies) and I'm uploading to both linux and unix boxes.. mainly debian and freebsd in most cases..

Just thought I'd toss that in, since they were common things between us both..

- Cecil
Old 03-21-2006, 10:14 AM
VanDyke Product Director

We believe we have fixed this problem. I would be interested in having anyone who's seeing this problem try the latest build. Please send your e-mail address to me at Maureen.Jett@vandyke.com so I can send you an installer to try.

Thanks,
Maureen