Welcome to the VanDyke Software Forums

Join the discussion today!

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > General

Old 09-21-2016, 09:48 AM

Making a business case for SecureCRT

Here's something I think worth sharing.

I recently started working for a new company that doesn't use SecureCRT and I've been feeling hesitant in asking them to purchase a license for me. I wanted to build a good business case to prove it would be worth purchasing.

I was going to have to make a list of all the different ways SecureCRT helps my productivity, calculate time saved, factor in what I make an hour, then calculate the total cost savings. I got bogged down in steps 1 and 2 and never got to a point where I was making a good case.

Last night while driving home it occurred to me I was taking the completely wrong approach to this. There's a FAR simpler way to do this.

To make things simple let's say a standard license costs $100 and that I make $100/hr. All I have to do is show that over the next year the license will save me 1 hour of work to pay for itself. If SecureCRT saves me any more than that it's earning the company money. Doing the math I discovered at $100/hr SecureCRT would only need to save me 14 seconds per workday to pay for itself.

Even if I only make $12/hr it only needs to save me 112 seconds per day. I'm absolutely certain SecureCRT saves me that just in key mapping alone, not even counting scripting.

Math:

There are 260 work days per year (52 * 5 = 260).
Spread out 1 hour of labor over 260 work days (3,600 seconds in an hour / 260 days = 13.8 seconds per day).
If I make $50/hr I need to work 2x as long to pay off the license (14 * 2 = 28 seconds per day)
If I make $25/hr I need to work 4x as long to pay off the license (14 * 4 = 56 seconds per day)
If I make $12/hr I need to work 8x as long to pay off the license (14 * 8 = 112 seconds per day)
Old 09-22-2016, 03:57 PM

I would only take that focused of an approach if you also willing to acknowledge that you talking to Sally at the water cooler every morning is costing the company thousands of dollars a year.

In my opinion, if a company isn't willing to invest just $100 to insure their staff has the tools to do their job effectively and efficiently, then it doesn't sound like a company worth staying at.

For me, SecureCRT aids me in doing my job more effectively. The colorized keywords list help important bits of information stand out so they aren't overlooked as I debug issues, the ability to have to tabs side-by-side aids when comparing the config of remote routers/switches, the session manager helps teammates share a list of manageable devices, the multiple protocol supports allows different staff to use this common tool for terminal emulations, macro/script support simplifies complicated/repetitive tasks down to a click of a single button with a greatly reduced chance of errors, etc.

Plus.. if you buy SecureCRT, you get to chat it up with cool folks like Todd, Brenda, and Maureen on the forums.
Old 10-07-2016, 12:47 PM
VanDyke Product Director

I like this thread!

I think making the business case is good if you're trying to convince the powers that be why it makes sense to buy SecureCRT for the whole IT department. If they won't buy you an individual license, buy it for yourself knowing that you will be able to get all your work done, talk to Sally by the water cooler, chat it up on the forums with the cool folks at VanDyke, and go home on time.

Maureen