Welcome to the VanDyke Software Forums

Join the discussion today!

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > General

Old 08-21-2008, 04:17 PM

Unhappy SecureCRT 6.0.x and 6.1 running very SLOW

I've been running SecureCRT 6.0.1 and later 6.0.3, followed by betas 3 and 4 of SecureCRT 6.1 with no problems, and then just last week the application has been consistently slow in 2 specific areas:

-Application (interface) loads very slowly after executing the shortcut/application - used to take 5-10 seconds or less and now takes 30-60 seconds.
-Connecting to any device (in my case Cisco Catalyst switches and NetApp Filers) is very slow on the first connection, taking at least a minute and sometimes temporarily hanging the program. Subsequent connection attempts (after disconnecting with the software left open and running) are normal and connect very quickly.

Both Putty and TeraTerm connect instantaneously to the same devices I'm using in SecureCRT. Here's what has changed recently before the problem starting occurring:

-Installed Putty Connection Manager
-Installed TeraTerm 4.59
-Installed GNS3 0.5 along with an MS Loopback Adapter to allow me to use SecureCRT to connect to Virtual devices within GNS3 using telnet/SSH.

I've tried removing and reinstalling both 6.0.3 and beta 4 of 6.1 as well as changing the order of the Authentication Options order for SSH connections (i.e. put Keyboard Interactive first, etc.), which I saw from another post. These actions have not helped. I should also point out my configuration is stored locally and not on the network.

I'm looking for advice on what other things I can try/do to further diagnose the problem and find a solution. TeraTerm and Putty do the job, but SecureCRT is by far my favorite Telnet/SSH app.

Would appreciate any help/advice. Thanks very much!

Chris Davis
Old 08-22-2008, 10:47 AM
VanDyke Customer Support

Chris,

Is your Config folder stored in the default location or do
you have it stored somewhere else, like a network location?

As a test, you might try launching SecureCRT using the /F
flag to specify an alternate, empty Config folder. To do
that, create a folder called "Config" with nothing in it in
the following location:
C:\temp
Now launch SecureCRT from the command line using a command
like the following:
"C:\Program Files\VanDyke Software\Clients\SecureCRT.exe" /F "C:\temp\Config"
Does SecureCRT open faster?

Thank you

JJH
Old 08-22-2008, 12:51 PM

Smile Fixed!

JJH,

I believe my config folder is in the default location - \AppData\Roaming\VanDyke\Config under my user profile folder (Windows Vista). I created a new config folder in a separate location (My Documents folder - my C Drive is locked down and I didn't want to add any permission complexity to the mix), ran the command as you mentioned, and the software loaded immediately. In addition I set up a new connection to one of my SSH devices and it connected immediately as well. It's obviously a problem with my configuration, such as corruption or something. I'll update the Configuration Folder under Global Options to the new folder or clear out my existing config folder and start over.

Thanks so much!!! I appreciate the help.

Chris
Old 08-25-2008, 10:43 AM

Smile Fixed

JJH,

I guess my reply last week didn't make it to the board. I was using the default config folder on my Vista machine, located at AppData\Roaming\VanDyke\Config under my user profile folder. I created a new config folder in a separate location and ran the command you showed below, and SecureCRT not only opened immediately, but immediately connected to devices as well. I guess my config folder got corrupted, bloated, or something. I changed my Configuration Folder under Options -Global Options - General to the new folder, although I may later erase the files from the original folder and switch it back to that folder. In any event, your suggestion was a big help! Thanks so much for responding quickly and for your help.

Chris
Old 08-25-2008, 11:24 AM
VanDyke Customer Support

Hi Chris.

Thanks for letting me know. I'm glad that helped. If you
have any other questions, please feel free to post here or
send e-mail to support@vandyke.com.

Thanks

JJH
Old 09-14-2008, 09:01 PM

Hi

I am seeing a similar issue in 6.0 and latest 6.1

All of sudden... starting up a new instance of SecureCRT takes almost 30 seconds. Starting the first ssh session in an instance also takes almost 30 seconds. I synch my config to a second box and that has started exhibiting the same behaviour as well. If I use a clean config directory the problem does not appear, but then I loose my 200+ sessions and folders. The machines running SecureCRT are WinXP SP2 and Win2003 Server SP2. Putty does not have any issues.

regards
Old 09-15-2008, 09:43 AM

Hi AS102195,

I just had a couple of questions.

Where is the configuration folder stored?

If it is on a network share, does the delay continue if the configuration folder is stored on the local machine instead?

Which printer is configured in the 'Global.ini' file?

The 'Global.ini' file is located in the main configuration folder.

The location of the configuration folder is specified in the 'Configuration folder' data field in the 'General' category of the 'Global Options'.

In the line that specifies the printer begins with the following:

S:"Printer Name"=

Teresa

Teresa Nygren
Old 09-15-2008, 08:05 PM

Hi Teresa

the config file is on local disk

I have reviewed the global.ini and there was indeed an old printer listed. I removed the entry and the slow startup problems have gone anyway. Many thanks for your assistance.

regards, Stuart
Old 09-16-2008, 07:45 AM

Hi Stuart,

I'm glad to hear that it was just an old printer setting causing the slow down.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

Teresa

Teresa Nygren
Old 02-01-2010, 02:42 PM

Tip still works

I just wanted to say thanks. This printer tip solved my problem.