Welcome to the VanDyke Software Forums

Join the discussion today!

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > Scripting

Old 08-28-2017, 01:03 PM

Remote Command option with SSH

Hello,

Is there any way to use the remote command option with SSH2 command?

crt.Session.ConnectInTab("/ssh2 /L #####/PASSWORD ######")

Thanks,
Old 08-28-2017, 01:56 PM
VanDyke Technical Support

Hi ashehata,

Can you help me better understand what you are trying to accomplish? It appears that you are trying to open a second session to a different machine when you connect to the first, is that the case?

The remote command option is used to automatically run a command on the machine you are connecting to. Because the command is run on the remote server, not on your machine, using commands that are specific to SecureCRT will typically not work. The format of the command will depend on what type of machine you are connecting to. What type of server/Operating System are you connecting to?

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730
Old 09-01-2017, 07:56 PM

Dear Eric,

Well, I work at Internet service provider. In order to connect to routers and devices, I have to SSH on a server first, then I telnet to the devices. So my session settings as the following:

So I was wondering if there's an option to use the remote command session option to be used with the SSH command.

Code:
crt.Session.ConnectInTab("/ssh2 /L #####/PASSWORD ######")
I know that I could SSH2 on the server then I send telnet command as the following:

Code:
crt.Session.ConnectInTab("/ssh2 /L ##### /PASSWORD ##### 10.110.165.70")
crt.Screen.WaitForString("$")
crt.Screen.Send("telnet 172.16.15.142")
crt.Screen.Send("\n")
But the issue is that sometimes I need to clone the session. So it clones the server session, not the router's session. So if there's a way that I could use the remote command option in my script that would be great.

Thanks.
Old 09-05-2017, 09:24 AM

Hi ashehata,

If your server allows it, you may be able to use SecureCRT's Dependent Session feature. This would allow you setup a Session as if going directly to the end device and have SecureCRT automatically route traffic through your “gateway server”.

Step 1: Create a “JumpHost” session Set up a session that will connect with SSH2 to your jump host server. Test your jump host session to ensure that you are able to successfully connect and authenticate. Then, close that session’s tab/tile.

Step 2: Create your secondary host session(for example: D1) Set up a new session that will be used to connect to your secondary host. For example, if your secondary host’s IP address is 10.0.0.1, you would have: Hostname: 10.0.0.1 Username: secondary-username etc.

Step 3: Edit your secondary host session to specify a dependent session to use as firewall/proxy Edit your newly-created session (right-click it in Session Manager and chooseProperties). - In the SSH2 category, select theFirewall drop-down and chooseSelect Session... - When theSelectSSH2 session window appears, select the “JumpHost” session you created earlier in step 1 above. - Save your changes to the session configuration

Step 4: Use your Secondary Host session to connect and test it out. Once you’ve created your secondary session and set its Firewall field to point to the JumpHost session, connect using your secondary session. SecureCRT will first (automatically, and behind the scenes) establish a connection to the JumpHost session. Once a connection to the jump host has been established, SecureCRT will ask the jump host server to establish a connection on its behalf to the secondary host. If you enableTrace Options from SecureCRT’s mainFile menu prior to attempting your connection, you'll be able to see debugging information that reveals the behind-the-scenes handshaking going on.

Using these steps are you able to get the behavior you're looking for?

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730
Old 09-06-2017, 10:34 AM

Hello Eric,

Thanks, I think the above steps are to be done via SecureCRT GUI right ?

But what I am asking for if there's a command to use while scripting or not? And if there is, what it is?

Thanks,

Last edited by ashehata; 09-06-2017 at 06:53 PM.
Old 09-06-2017, 01:39 PM

Hi ashehata,

I'm sorry I misunderstood your request.

If you would like to continue to use the same Remote command option when running a script it would look like:

Code:
  objConfig = crt.OpenSessionConfiguration("My Session Path")
  objConfig.SetOption("Use Shell Command", True)
  objConfig.SetOption("Shell Command", "telnet 172.16.15.142")
  objConfig.ConnectInTab()
Another option would be to configure your sessions as you want them in the GUI then launch the session instead of manually configuring your settings. That would look something like:

Code:
crt.Session.ConnectInTab("/S SessionName")
Does this help?

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730
Old 09-07-2017, 07:05 AM

Hi Eric,

Thanks a lot. it worked with me but I have another issue while cloning the tab with the logon that I have to enter them manually.

So I am wondering if it is possible that I set the automate logon option through my script by using objConfig.SetOption syntax?

Old 09-07-2017, 09:38 AM

Hi ashehata,

No, it's not currently possible to manipulate logon actions through scripting. Logon actions simply waits until it sees a set string, when it does it sends a set response. This can be accomplished using WaitForString and SendString.

Code:
crt.screen.WaitForString("ogin:")
crt.screen.SendString "YourUsername" & vbcr
crt.screen.WaitForString("assword:")
crt.screen.SendString "YourPassword" & vbcr
You may also need to set your screen to synchronous, without seeing your full code I can't be sure if or where you may have already set this. It would look like:

Code:
crt.screen.synchronous = true
I have recorded your interest in scripting logon actions in our database of SecureCRT feature requests so that the product director can evaluate it for possible inclusion in a future release.

Should a version of SecureCRT become available with this feature, we will be sure to let you know.

Does this help?

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730

Last edited by ekoranyi; 09-07-2017 at 10:15 AM.