Welcome to the VanDyke Software Forums

Join the discussion today!

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > General

Old 06-20-2017, 05:07 AM

SCRT 8.1.3 asks for passphrase which has never been set

I upgraded to mtce rls 8.1.3 and when launching SCRT, I'm prompted to provide passphrase which I have NEVER set anywhere. If I select 'Continue without passphrase' (or such wording, don't recall exactly) I can get in, but passwords DO NOT save and I'm not even able to save them as the 'Store Password' checkbox is disabled. That is probably expected behavior with no passphrase, but the problem is that I have never set it. I don't want to use passphrase.

If I choose to provide some passphrase, which again I have never set, I CANNOT get in.
Old 06-20-2017, 08:19 AM
VanDyke Technical Support

Hi Bedas,

What was the version you were using prior to the upgrade?

Did you ever import a config exported by a colleague? (Either via XML or the old way of sharing a config?)

Quote:
If I select 'Continue without passphrase' (or such wording, don't recall exactly) I can get in, but passwords DO NOT save and I'm not even able to save them as the 'Store Password' checkbox is disabled. That is probably expected behavior with no passphrase, but the problem is that I have never set it. I don't want to use passphrase.
Is the attached the prompt you are getting?

If so, that is the designed behavior, as noted on the dialog. If that is the dialog you are seeing, you will need to reset the config passphrase. I've listed the explicit steps below.
  • Choose Change Passphrase... from the Enter Passphrase dialog
  • On the Change or Reset Passphrase dialog, choose Reset passphrase and pick a new one (temporarily) to use. Note that your sessions will still be available but any saved sensitive data (usernames/passwords/logon actions) will need re-entered.
  • Now that you have a "new known passphrase", you can access Change Passphrase... from the Enter Passphrase dialog again and this time choose Remove passphrase. Note that private/sensitive data is still encrypted without a passphrase, it's just less secure than with a personalized passphrase (and the reason you lose stored passwords when changing this method).
Attached Images
File Type: png Config_PP_not_entering_when_prompted.png (23.0 KB, 2683 views)

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730

Last edited by jdev; 06-20-2017 at 08:35 AM. Reason: Make graphic visible in post
Old 06-21-2017, 02:01 AM

Hi Brenda,
okay I understand.

I should have said before that I had downgraded back to 8.1.2 and now I DON'T face such problems at all. Meaning I don't use passphrase (since I have never set one) AND I'm able to store the sensitive data.

To recap what you described, if upgraded to 8.1.3 I'm basically facing following problems:
1) forced to use the passphrase in order to store sensitive data...or
2) select Continue without entering a passphrase and must provide passwords (aka sensitive data) everytime for every session...or
3) select Change Passphrase... and lose all the sensitive data and must re-enter them for all the sessions.
...or there is hidden option
4) select Enter passphrase from Enter Passphrase dialog and do nothing here since no passphrase exists. If I put some "bogus" one, I get error that it's wrong passphrase.

So by upgrading to 8.1.3 I'm losing an option where I don't use passphrase and yet store all the sensitive data. It has never worked this way in previous versions.

So am I doing anything wrong or do I not understand anything?

I recall from back in the day when SCRT introduced the passphrase option, after the "migration" to that newer version a dialog poped up and I was able to choose whether I'd like to use passphrase or not. I selected to 'Don't use passphrase' and it has never re-appeared again. Until now. WHY?
Old 06-21-2017, 08:39 AM

Hi Bedas,

Please verify the screenshot I previously posted is the one you are getting.

I do not know the answer to *WHY?* as I know of *no change* to the passphrase mechanism from v8.1.2 to v8.1.3.

Is the v8.1.2 installer also one you downloaded from our website? (ie: Could your organization be providing a modified/customized installer and config?)

I cannot replicate the issue with these steps:
  • Install SecureCRT 8.1.2.
  • Choose not to use a configuration passphrase.
  • Create some sessions, store passwords in them.
  • Upgrade to v8.1.3.
  • I am *not* prompted to enter a passphrase.
Do you see where the steps causing the issue for you might have differed?

Do you ever use any mechanism that starts SecureCRT using the /F option?

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730
Old 08-30-2017, 11:34 PM

So after all this turned out to be caused by mismatches and many entries missing in Global.ini that I copied over from some old SCRT instances that version 8.1.3 does need.
Old 08-31-2017, 09:56 AM

Hi Bedas,

I am glad to hear you found a resolution.

As a note, the preferred mechanism for migrating or backing up/restoring a config since v7.3.x is to use the XML import/export feature:

Changes in SecureCRT 7.3 (Beta 1) -- August 7, 2014
---------------------------------------------------
New features:

• Added support for exporting and importing SecureCRT settings to and from XML, which makes it easier to copy settings from one machine to another.

See the tip on our website here titled "Backing Up and Restoring SecureCRT and SecureFX Settings (versions 7.3 and newer)".

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730

Last edited by bgagnon; 08-31-2017 at 10:03 AM. Reason: Added info