Welcome to the VanDyke Software Forums

Join the discussion today!

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > General

Old 01-20-2020, 12:16 AM

advantages over MobaXTerm

I am evaluating SecureCRT/SecureFX and MobaXTerm as a long-term solution for my ssh/scp/sftp needs. My gut tells me that SecureCRT is a better option, but I am having difficulty justifying this objectively. All of the key features in SecureCRT seem to be present in Moba, and the sftp integration in Moba seems to be WAY better than SecureCRT/SecureFX offers.

So...convince me to select SecureCRT/FX instead of Moba. What makes it a better choice for you?
Old 01-20-2020, 09:04 AM
VanDyke Technical Support

Hi scottmlew,
Quote:
...and the sftp integration in Moba seems to be WAY better than SecureCRT/SecureFX offers.
In what way is sftp integration better?

I am not that familiar with Moba, but here's a couple posts listing what I feel are some top features of SecureCRT:

https://forums.vandyke.com/showpost....70&postcount=6
https://forums.vandyke.com/showpost....47&postcount=6

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730
Old 01-20-2020, 02:12 PM

MobaXterm is a Delphi (Borland Object Pascal) wrapper around Open Source software. On the one hand this sounds good. (You get open source tools.) But, on the other you get a non native GUI with only their open source tools. I couldn't figure out how to use my own Cygwin environment with it. I didn't like the non native GUI. What you are really paying for is the GUI and the things that go with that (fonts, font rendering, colors, etc...).

For SFTP I would just use FileZilla or some other Open Source GUI tool. For X11 well there is Cygwin or XmingNotes (based on Cygwin). How different Moba is from those is a question. The X11 server is Open Source to begin with.

For me personally SecureCRT is something that I purchased a long time ago and I will be upgrading. I looked at everything else Win32. For my Macs I use the standard Mac OS X Terminal app. Which SecureCRT is not even close to as a GUI. Sure it has some automation things but DevOps just is not done on the terminal client. In terms of a GUI, font rendering, colors, easy configurability, Apple wins hands down. But, Apple is Apple so what do you expect . I think a large reason that these even exist is because of Microsoft being so inept. Does anyone use iTerm on the Mac anymore? But, that is free. The Win32 API is really the problem here. Apple bought Next to get a good API. It is very difficult to make good GUI apps on Windows due to the API fragmentation.
Old 01-20-2020, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgagnon View Post
Hi scottmlew,

In what way is sftp integration better?
When you start an ssh session in Moba, an sftp session is also started and appears in a panel on the left of the ssh session. You can even set the sftp session to follow the location you're at in the shell. There is no separate application that needs to launch, and no separate window to deal with.

As an aside, neither SecureFX nor Moba correctly deal with Cisco devices, but Moba at least recognizes that and doesn't attempt to set up the file transfer session.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgagnon View Post
I am not that familiar with Moba, but here's a couple posts listing what I feel are some top features of SecureCRT:

https://forums.vandyke.com/showpost....70&postcount=6
https://forums.vandyke.com/showpost....47&postcount=6
Thanks for those references. I was unaware of the button bar. I believe that and the logging variables are unique to SecureCRT (not in Moba). I will also peruse the YouTube videos you linked to.

I will continue to evaluate both tools. Someone also suggested XShell, which also looks promising, and I may check that out too.
Old 01-20-2020, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicen View Post
MobaXterm is a Delphi (Borland Object Pascal) wrapper
I knew it was a wrapper, but the fact it's Delphi clarifies why it looks a little bit antiquated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicen View Post
For SFTP I would just use FileZilla or some other Open Source GUI tool. For X11 well there is Cygwin or XmingNotes (based on Cygwin). How different Moba is from those is a question. The X11 server is Open Source to begin with.
I'm not super interested in the X11 server (that's not a feature I anticipate using). And yeah, I could use WinSCP/FileZilla/etc. (or even SecureFX) but the integration in Moba is just so slick and convenient. I really wish SecureCRT would add a comparable feature (but that's probably a somewhat significant undertaking). Another neat integration thing Moba offers, btw, is that it optionally shows resource utilization of the remote host in a graphical form at the bottom of the ssh window.

Thank you for your other comments and perspectives! No Mac access here, so I'll just trust you
Old 01-21-2020, 08:32 AM
VanDyke Technical Support

Hi scottmlew,

I have added this thread to a feature request in our product enhancement database to integrate SecureFX into SecureCRT as one app. Should a future release of SecureCRT include this feature, notification will be posted here.

If you prefer direct email notification, send an email to support@vandyke.com and include Feature Request - Forum Thread #14046 in the subject line or use this form from the support page of our website.

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730