VanDyke Software Forums

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > SecureCRT 5.1/SecureFX 3.1/VShell 2.6 Beta
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2006, 11:36 AM

sCRT improvment suggestions

Here is my wishlist for additions to an otherwise great product
  1. A way to cleanly log out and close all windows and tabs (including ignoring any disconnect popups). I don't consider Windows 'close group' option from the taskbar a good option - I would like all sessions to be properly logged out if possible.

To shed some light, I work in a large unix environment and after a week or so I may have 40-50 windows open, most of them with multiple tabs. Once in a while I need to reboot windows, and it would help a lot if there was a good way to close all windows at once.
  2. SSH agent timeout. I should be forced to re-enter my ssh-agent password at configurable intervals. I know you can define a hotkey to forget the password, but this should be automatic.
  3. Dynamic size of scrollback window. It would be great to be able to go further back (sometimes much more than the 32.000 lines max today). To save memory footprint, some form of temp files would probably be neccesary.

Thanks,
-Erik
Old 03-02-2006, 01:01 PM

Talking my wish

1. would like to have fonts resize [enlarge] to fit the screen.
2. I would like to get rid of timeout issues when idle on SCRT for 20min.

Other than that my company loves SCRT.

thank you
Old 03-03-2006, 09:42 AM

Hi srobinson,
Quote:
1. would like to have fonts resize [enlarge] to fit the screen.
2. I would like to get rid of timeout issues when idle on SCRT for 20min.
Does the Scale the font option in Session Options / Terminal / Emulation category do what you want with font resize?

Does Session Options / Terminal / Send protocol NO-OP or Send string help with the timeout issues?
[http://www.vandyke.com/support]

Last edited by miked; 03-03-2006 at 02:35 PM.
Old 03-03-2006, 10:24 AM

Hi es01,

Quote:
1. A way to cleanly log out and close all windows and tabs (including ignoring any disconnect popups).
If there were a way to send a logout command to the remote and you enabled Close on disconnect (Session Options / Terminal), do you think this would work for you?
Quote:
2. SSH agent timeout.
Just to certain, you want the client to force this?

Quote:
3. Dynamic size of scrollback window.
I've added your request for a dynamic scrollback buffer to our database. If we add this and you would like to be notified by e-mail, please send e-mail to support@vandyke.com and reference this forum post.
Old 03-03-2006, 03:34 PM

I think you are on the right track

Quote:
If there were a way to send a logout command to the remote and you enabled Close on disconnect (Session Options / Terminal), do you think this would work for you?
Yes and no - no because I still don't want the window to close if I lose connection to the server because of a network problem or similar. I have close on disconnect turned on so in case I get disconnected, I won't lose any potentially valuable output from whatever was running in that session.
I think it would work if it only closed the window when it was initiated by the user.

Quote:
Just to certain, you want the client to force this?
Yes, maybe combined with idle time so if you are actively working you don't get prompted, while if I for example forget to lock my workstation when I leave for the day, the cleaning staff won't have access to login to all the servers I have access to. Or better, specify how long you want the agent passphrase to be remembered.
Maybe something like this along with the agent settings in the SSH2 global options:
[x] Remember ssh-agent password for [______] minutes (0=indefinitely)
[ ] Remember indefinitely if not idle
Old 03-06-2006, 05:14 PM

Hi es01,

What are three best ways of how you would envision being able to cleanly log out and close all windows and tabs?

I've added a feature request for the ability to have the ssh agent cache cleared after n minutes of inactivity.

By inactivity, are you referring to ssh agent inactivity, or window inactivity?

When the ssh agent is flushed, it would effect the entire group of windows, right?
Old 03-07-2006, 06:13 AM

Quote:
What are three best ways of how you would envision being able to cleanly log out and close all windows and tabs?
That is a good question I suppose. I would say it's probably not possible to get a 100% solution, but maybe try to send a logout/ctrl-d to each window, then close down the connection. It clearly is not trivial if you're inside different programs in each window.

Quote:
By inactivity, are you referring to ssh agent inactivity, or window inactivity?
I was refering to user inactivity - i.e. if you are actively typing in a window, you are not inactive.

Quote:
When the ssh agent is flushed, it would effect the entire group of windows, right?
It would affect all - so that if you want to log in to another host you would be asked for your password again.
Old 03-07-2006, 12:48 PM

Erik (es01),

Thanks for the clarifications. I've added your comments to the three feature requests. If we add any of these features and you would like to receive e-mail notification, please send e-mail to support@vandyke.com and refer to forum thread 1314. Thanks for letting us know and for taking time to elaborate.
Old 03-09-2006, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by es01
[*]A way to cleanly log out and close all windows and tabs (including ignoring any disconnect popups). I don't consider Windows 'close group' option from the taskbar a good option - I would like all sessions to be properly logged out if possible.
What exactly is unclean about that?