Welcome to the VanDyke Software Forums

Join the discussion today!

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > General

Old 03-31-2016, 11:44 AM

Tab Groups and Command Window

I am just starting to play with Tab Groups and like the idea, but I am also a big user of the Command Window and "Send Commands to all Sessions". Right now it seems like the command window is global to all tab groups.

It would be very helpful either have each tab group have its own command window or within the global command window to be able to select which tab groups the commands get sent to.

Thanks,

Al
Old 03-31-2016, 12:00 PM
VanDyke Technical Support

Hi Al,

I have added this thread to a feature request in our product enhancement database to provide a way for the Command Window to send commands to a specific tab group or tabs. Should a future release of SecureCRT include this feature, notification will be posted here.

If you prefer direct email notification, send an email to support@vandyke.com and include "Feature Request - Forum Thread #12305" in the subject line or use this form from the support page of our website.

The workaround in the meantime would be to lock the specific tabs that you do not want to receive the command(s). You can choose Lock Session... from the options provided by right-clicking on a tabbed session to lock that tabbed session.

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730
Old 04-01-2016, 12:32 PM

I am a big fan of the command windows as well and the new "Send characters immediately" option is great too. But I need that and the "Send to All Session" option in all combinations and I am too lazy to always click twice to disable and later on enable both again.
Can I somehow map that toggle function on a key? Or is there any other way to achieve what I am looking for?
Old 04-01-2016, 01:11 PM

Hi Klefisch,

It does not look like the new option is available for keymaps as a menu function yet.

I have added this thread to a feature request in our product enhancement database to add a menu function for Send Characters Immediately. Should a future release of SecureCRT include this feature, notification will be posted here.

If you prefer direct email notification, send an email to support@vandyke.com and include "Feature Request - Forum Thread #12305" in the subject line or use this form from the support page of our website.

However, yes, you can map most menu functions to keys or buttons on the button bar. I will go ahead and give you the info for mapping MENU_TOGGLE_SEND_COMMANDS_TO_ALL_SESSIONS.
  • Press the Map a Key... button in the Terminal / Emulation / Mapped Keys category of the Session Options dialog. (There's a way to apply to all sessions, see below.)
  • Press the key combination to map.
  • In the Action section of the Map Selected Key dialog, select Menu Function from the Function dropdown menu.
  • The dropdown menu to the right will become Menu Function. Select MENU_TOGGLE_SEND_COMMANDS_TO_ALL_SESSIONS.
Another useful Menu Function for your usage that exists presently is MENU_TOGGLE_COMMAND_WINDOW.

See the SecureCRT Help topic Configuring the Keyboard / Table of Keymap Functions for a list of all the functions that can be mapped to keys/buttons.

If you use the Mapped Keys category of Session Options, these tips explain how you can make the change to multiple/all sessions:

https://www.vandyke.com/support/tips/defaultset.html
https://www.vandyke.com/support/tips/multisessions.html

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730
Old 04-01-2016, 01:40 PM

Hi Brenda,

thanks for your quick reply and adding that request to the feature list.
The next question would be how to map two menu functions on the the shortcut respectively if that works at all or if the only option would be running a script?

Thanks again,
Bastian
Old 04-04-2016, 01:54 PM

Hi Bastian,

I did not forget about you, but I saw the initial feature request as the most important one. You cannot map two separate menu functions to one button/keymap so I was thinking I could create a feature request for functionality similar to what Clear Screen and Scrollback provides. It combines Clear Screen functionality with Clear Scrollback functionality.

Quote:
But I need that and the "Send to All Session" option in all combinations
However, this would not allow for "all possible combinations", it would simply be a toggle for *both* to be enabled/disabled. Shall I create a feature request for an option for Send Characters Immediately to all Sessions?

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730
Old 04-04-2016, 02:31 PM

Hi Brenda,

a feature request for a combined "Send Characters Immediately & Send Commands to All Sessions" would be totally sufficient. Thanks so much!

-Bastian
Old 04-04-2016, 02:37 PM

Hi Bastian,

I have created a feature request on your behalf in our product enhancement database for the ability to toggle Send Characters Immediately & Send Commands to All Sessions with one option. Should a future release of SecureCRT include this feature, notification will be posted here.

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730
Old 04-06-2016, 08:59 AM

Hi Bastian,

The initial feature request, to add the menu function Send Characters Immediately, has already been implemented.

So that I can make the new build available, please send an email to support@vandyke.com and include "Forum Thread #12305" in the subject line.

If contacting us through an email account other than the one used to create your download account, please advise us of the email address associated with your download account. If you need to create a download account, I will supply that info via email.

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730
Old 08-15-2016, 05:39 PM
VanDyke Product Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by marti View Post
I am just starting to play with Tab Groups and like the idea, but I am also a big user of the Command Window and "Send Commands to all Sessions". Right now it seems like the command window is global to all tab groups.

It would be very helpful either have each tab group have its own command window or within the global command window to be able to select which tab groups the commands get sent to.

Thanks,

Al
The ability to send command to one or more specific tab groups has been implemented in a pre-beta version of SecureCRT. If you'd like to try it, please send email to Maureen.Jett@vandyke.com.

Maureen