Welcome to the VanDyke Software Forums

Join the discussion today!

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > General

Old 04-13-2017, 11:31 AM

Exclamation SecureCRT: FolderData files created as sessions

Hello,

We utilize SecureCRT 8.1 within our team and use MS OneDrive local folder (which is getting synced to the cloud) as the main configuration path. This works great (well, except for some conflicts with sessions' personal settings - i have a separate thread for this here https://forums.vandyke.com/showthrea...8&goto=newpost)

Now, from time to time, the fake "FolderData_computer_name" sessions appear in the session manager, e.g.

__FolderData__-MOW-OPT-15-3427.ini

It appears to be some sort of sync issue, because even though the session information is stored in the cloud, it's still a local folder which the app is working with. So i assume these "folderdata" files are being re-created with computer name prepended since (somehow) the app does not allow to overwrite them.

Regular "__FolderData__.ini" files do not appear as sessions in the session manager, most likely due to some built-in filtering, but those with the computer name appended we have to manually clean up.

Can you please look into this? I presume the most simple fix should be to ignore all files that have name starting with __FolderData

However, maybe it's worth checking why are those folderdata files are getting created/duplicated, since the actual session files themselves are not getting duplicated like this.

thanks!
Old 04-14-2017, 07:12 AM
VanDyke Technical Support

Hi oskomorokhov,

I am sorry to hear about the issue that's occurring.

We will need to investigate as this is the first I've ever heard of that behavior.

What permissions are applied to the shared config folder (or Sessions subfolder specifically)?

When you notice __FolderData__-Session.ini in Session Manager, is it the session you (or a colleague) is currently using?

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730
Old 05-01-2017, 01:19 PM

Hello,

Sorry for the delay.

Like i said the shared config folder is technically a local folder with regular permissions for the user (full control). The thing is that this folder is being synced with it's cloud version in MS office365 OneDrive.

I can't say for sure how do these ini files are getting created, most likely there's truly some access issue to the file (maybe it's being locked when other user is currently synchronizing his local folders with the cloud) so the additional copy is getting created.

Just to make sure it's clear - it's NOT the actual session files themselves getting duplicated, it's the __FolderData__.ini file that exists in each sessions' folder getting duplicated.
Old 05-01-2017, 02:07 PM

Hi oskomorokhov,

Understood. The __FolderData__.ini file is updated any time SecureCRT is running because it stores the order of sessions to be used when they are manually sorted. If a new file is being created, I expect it *is* because the original is in use at the time and locked from being written to.

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730
Old 05-03-2017, 11:02 AM

I see. If it's not possible to overcome the simultaneous access/file lock - is it possible at least to filter out any .ini files that start with __FolderData (original one+duplicates) from the session manager ? or maybe there's an option to only have the centralized sorting information?

Right now the only workaround we have is to manually delete them each time they are created.

By the way, i'm surprised the actual session files themselves are not getting duplicated like that, although i'm pretty sure those are accessed simultaneously as well.
Old 05-03-2017, 01:14 PM

Hi oskomorokhov,

Quote:
I see. If it's not possible to overcome the simultaneous access/file lock - is it possible at least to filter out any .ini files that start with __FolderData (original one+duplicates) from the session manager ? or maybe there's an option to only have the centralized sorting information?
To be clear, it is the sync client (OneDrive) I believe has the exclusive lock on the file. I did some searches and this seemed to be a common theme and a lot of customers requested there be a sort of "ignore list" provided by OneDrive.

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#s...xclude&spf=384

One answer I saw was to exclude the folder/files from sync operations but in this case, since this is a file appearing within the Sessions subfolder of the config, I can see how you cannot do that easily.

Are you actually manually sorting your session list?

I have created a feature request on your behalf in our product enhancement database for the ability to filter duplicate copies of the __FolderData__.ini files from being displayed in Session Manager. Should a future release of SecureCRT include this feature, notification will be posted here.

If you prefer direct email notification, send an email to support@vandyke.com and include "Feature Request - Forum Thread #12664" in the subject line or use this form from the support page of our website.

Quote:
By the way, i'm surprised the actual session files themselves are not getting duplicated like that, although i'm pretty sure those are accessed simultaneously as well.
But if no changes are being made to the sessions (simultaneously) there would not be this conflict regarding the exclusive lock that the sync client apparently puts on the file(s), which requires a new file to then be written out.

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730
Old 05-23-2017, 01:28 PM

Hi oskomorokhov,

We have a pre-release build available we believe resolves the issue reported of multiple __FolderData__.ini files appearing as sessions.

Please email support@vandyke.com. Please include "Attn Brenda - Forum Thread #12664" in the subject line. If writing from an email address other than the one associated with your VanDyke Software download account, please inform us of the email address that is associated with the download account.

If you do not have a download account, please create one. In that case, I will need to know:
  • SecureCRT/SecureFX combined installer or SecureCRT only?

• Mac, Windows or Linux installer?
  • If Windows, 32-bit or 64-bit?

• If Linux, Ubuntu or Red Hat installer?

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730