Welcome to the VanDyke Software Forums

Join the discussion today!

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > Secure Shell

Notices

Old 07-12-2008, 08:35 AM

Question Portable SecureCRT?

Hello.

Can SecureCRT v3.4.8 or newer be portable without installing and using non-administration accounts in Windows 2000, XP, and Vista like PuTTY?

Thank you in advance.
Old 07-12-2008, 10:24 AM

Hi Ant,

It is possible to install SecureCRT 4.1 and higher on USB devices to make it portable between systems.

We do have a tip that explains how this can be done. This tip can be found at this link.

SecureCRT 6.0 and higher also offers an installer specifically for the U3 USB devices. These installers are available on the download page for SecureCRT.

Was this the information needed?

Teresa

Teresa Nygren
Old 07-12-2008, 10:42 AM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnygren
Hi Ant,

It is possible to install SecureCRT 4.1 and higher on USB devices to make it portable between systems.

We do have a tip that explains how this can be done. This tip can be found at this link.

SecureCRT 6.0 and higher also offers an installer specifically for the U3 USB devices. These installers are available on the download page for SecureCRT.

Was this the information needed?
Thanks. Do you know if this will work with old v3.4.8 that I still use? I don't need to save any settings. It should be like PuTTY. The only reason why I like SCRT is its Zmodem feature for quick downloads and uploads, and resumable unlike SCP and others.
Old 07-14-2008, 08:10 AM

Hi Ant,

SecureCRT 3.4.8 is missing key options to allow it to run completely from a USB device.

The earliest version of SecureCRT that can run completely from a USB device is 4.1.x.

Does this help to clarify?

Teresa

Teresa Nygren
Old 07-14-2008, 09:19 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnygren
Hi Ant,

SecureCRT 3.4.8 is missing key options to allow it to run completely from a USB device.

The earliest version of SecureCRT that can run completely from a USB device is 4.1.x.

Does this help to clarify?
Yeah, thanks. I guess I will have to upgrade to do that. I am fine with old v3.4.8 for simple tasks. I wished PuTTY had zmodem support.