Welcome to the VanDyke Software Forums

Join the discussion today!

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > General

Notices

Old 04-28-2008, 09:43 AM

VanDyke Software VShell SSH2/SFTP service does not start

I just installed Vshell in our production environment (Version 3.0.4 (build 656 Unicode) ). I try to start the service and I receive the following message:

" The VanDyke Software VShell SSH2/SFTP service on Local Computer started and stopped. Some services stop automativally if they have no work to do, for example the performance logs and Alerts service.

I removed the program , reboot and reinstalled and received the same message.

Any help?

Edward
Old 04-28-2008, 11:26 AM
VanDyke Technical Support

Hi Edward,

The VShell log will typically indicate why the VShell service was unable to start. It may be helpful if 'Debug' is enabled in the 'Logging' category of the VShell Control Panel before attempting to restart the service.

After enabling this option, attempting to start the service, and checking the VShell log, are you able to determine the exact cause of the error?
Old 04-29-2008, 12:25 AM

Smile

Hi Kevin,

I found the source of the error.
I installed Vshel on a cluster shared disk. Because of the name of the vshell service, you can not defined it as a cluster resource. So, I removed the installation and installed the software on each server of the cluster.
It seems that the removal does not clear all registry entries and the xervice was looking for the hostkey file in the old directory. The message on the log file was that the "olddir/hostkey is invalid"
I searched the registry for all vshell entries, delete them, reinstalled the software and it is working now.

BTW, the new installation also looked for log directory in the previous installation directory

Regards
Edward
Old 04-29-2008, 08:28 AM
VanDyke Technical Support

Hi Edward,

Thanks for the update.

When VShell is uninstalled some of the configuration data stored in the registry is left behind so as to not wipe out the VShell set up.

I am glad you were able to nail down the source of the problem.