Welcome to the VanDyke Software Forums

Join the discussion today!

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > General

Old 08-30-2017, 07:32 PM

Send button to chat window

Hi,

I have been playing with Securecrt 7.1.2 and was wondering if it is possible to send button commands to the chat window instead of directly to the terminal window?

This would allow editing of commands prior to sending and also allow multiple button commands to be selected, sent to chat window, edited and reviewed before finally being sent to terminal.

If not could it be added as a feature request

Kind regards
PH
Old 08-31-2017, 09:25 AM
VanDyke Technical Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pencilhead View Post
I have been playing with Securecrt 7.1.2
Sounds like you might be evaluating SecureCRT for the first time, perhaps?

Unfortunately the ability to use a script to interact with the Command Window wasn't added until 7.2.

You may want to consider evaluating the current official release instead of 7.1.2, since 7.1.2 hasn't been in active development since November, 2013.

Quote:
... and was wondering if it is possible to send button commands to the chat window instead of directly to the terminal window?

This would allow editing of commands prior to sending and also allow multiple button commands to be selected, sent to chat window, edited and reviewed before finally being sent to terminal.

If not could it be added as a feature request
I'll be happy to add it as a feature request for you, since instructing "Send String" buttons on the button bar to send their configured "strings" to the command window is not something that is natively available yet.

However, if this is very important to you, you might consider converting your Send String buttons into Run Script buttons which would run a script to send what you desire to the Command Window. An example of how to accomplish this can be found in the Example: Command (Chat) Window Automation sample found in the Script Examples "sticky". Again, these examples require version 7.2 or newer, which is the first version that supported a script interface for interacting with the command window.
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/vandykesoftware
Email: support@vandyke.com
Web: https://www.vandyke.com/support
Old 09-04-2017, 12:49 AM

Please add as feature request

Hi Jake.

Thanks for the reply.
If you could add this as a feature request. I think it would be a useful option.

Unfortunately the billion dollar company I work for is reluctant to pay for tools that make our work easier and cheaper to do and prefer to make us do things the long manual way rather than spending a few hundred bucks This is why I am on version 7.1.2
Maybe, one day they will pay for the new version and it will already have the stuff in it to make our lives easier

Last edited by pencilhead; 09-04-2017 at 01:03 AM.
Old 09-05-2017, 10:32 AM
VanDyke Technical Support

Quote:
If you could add this as a feature request. I think it would be a useful option.
The request has been added on your behalf. If you or anyone else reading this forum posting would like to receive email notification should this feature become available, you can send email to support@vandyke.com with a subject of "Email notification request: Forum Thread #12795".

Quote:
Unfortunately the billion dollar company I work for is reluctant to pay for tools that make our work easier and cheaper to do and prefer to make us do things the long manual way rather than spending a few hundred bucks :o This is why I am on version 7.1.2 Maybe, one day they will pay for the new version and it will already have the stuff in it to make our lives easier :)
Sorry to hear you're in this situation. I wish you only the best in your efforts to help bring to light the cost savings that you'd be able to acquire using a newer version of SecureCRT that could make your work more efficient.

--Jake
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/vandykesoftware
Email: support@vandyke.com
Web: https://www.vandyke.com/support

Tags
button , chat