Welcome to the VanDyke Software Forums

Join the discussion today!

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > General

Notices

Old 05-09-2012, 02:27 PM

OK.. I'm an idiot. How do I tile in 7.0?

I have multiple tabs up and can't figure out how to get a side-by-side view of two of the tabs.

I click and drag one of the tabs over the the scroll bar on the far right of the screen, and I see an outline of a new windows pop up (split screen). When I let go, nothing happens.

I feel like a flip'n idiot.
Old 05-09-2012, 02:47 PM
VanDyke Technical Support

Hi Casey,

Tiling in SecureCRT 7.0 is applied to all tabs, and you can switch from tabbed mode to tiled mode using the Window menu by selecting Tabs. You then have options to Cascade, Tile Horizontally, and Tile Vertically.

Does this help?

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
505-332-5730

Last edited by rtb; 05-09-2012 at 03:09 PM.
Old 05-09-2012, 02:55 PM

hmm.. I see. So we can either choose tabs or split windows, but not both. I was hoping it was done more like how notepad++ handles it.

clunky, but I suppose this can work in a pinch.

Thanks.
Old 05-09-2012, 02:59 PM

Thanks for the feedback Casey. This is why we have a public beta.

I am not familiar with Notepad++. Would you specifically describe how you would like SecureCRT tiling to work?

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
505-332-5730
Old 05-09-2012, 08:56 PM

More about tabs/tiling that I have seen

I have found in several instances that you have to start out with Tabbed sessions before you switch to tiles. If you switch from tiles to tabs new sessions will open in a new window and for some reason not be the same size as the original.

It is also very tricky doing the switch. At times SecureCRT does not do the refresh so background programs that are running full screen are displayed and you are tricked into thinking SecureCRT is still doing work in the background.

A few little quirks I am hoping will be worked out for the final release. I do have to say the Tiling is awesome but like a beta quirky. I had 26 sessions tiled and that was awesome to see all those servers real time side by side.

The switch does need some work though. Screen refreshes when switching and not having to start in tabbed mode to make it work.

btw, to answer the original question. There is a new Window Menu in the Toolbar. Uncheck Tabs to reveal the options to tile windows. Check Tabs again to move to Tabbed mode and hide the options.

Also, just a hint from the quirks I have seen. Do not exit SecureCRT without checking Tabs again to start in Tabbed Mode. That seems to work pretty good.

Also for anyone using a custom menu. You need to add this to your menu to reveal the options for switching between Tabs and Tiling:

POPUPMENU "&Window"
MENUITEM "&Cascade", "MENU_WINDOW_CASCADE"
MENUITEM "Tile &Horizontally", "MENU_WINDOW_TILE_HORZ"
MENUITEM "Tile &Vertically", "MENU_WINDOW_TILE_VERT"
MENUITEM "&Tabs", "MENU_WINDOW_TABS"
SEPARATOR
MENUITEM "", "MENU_TAB_LIST1"
END

Hope that helps
Old 05-10-2012, 08:49 AM

Hi cr1275,
Quote:
It is also very tricky doing the switch. At times SecureCRT does not do the refresh so background programs that are running full screen are displayed and you are tricked into thinking SecureCRT is still doing work in the background.
This sounds like a bug. I have reported it for investigation. Additionally, I have been able to reproduce it. We will post to this thread when we have a fix.

If you would like to be notified directly, please complete and submit the form at the following location:
Submit Bug Report
Quote:
A few little quirks I am hoping will be worked out for the final release. I do have to say the Tiling is awesome but like a beta quirky. I had 26 sessions tiled and that was awesome to see all those servers real time side by side.
If you can specifically describe each quirk you have seen, they have a better chance of getting fixed.
Quote:
Also, just a hint from the quirks I have seen. Do not exit SecureCRT without checking Tabs again to start in Tabbed Mode. That seems to work pretty good.
Can you describe what problems you see when you don't make sure you are in tabbed mode and you exit SecureCRT?

I haven't seen any issues.

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
505-332-5730
Old 05-10-2012, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtb View Post
Thanks for the feedback Casey. This is why we have a public beta.

I am not familiar with Notepad++. Would you specifically describe how you would like SecureCRT tiling to work?
It'd be easier to show you in a picture. It's fairly simple. It simply allows you to do split screen without sacrificing the functionality of tabs.

See the attached jpg.

In Notepad++, I think you are limited to only 2 panes. If you wanted 3 third pane, then you're SoL.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NotepadTabs.jpg (65.9 KB, 349 views)
Old 05-10-2012, 10:19 AM

Hi Casey,

Thanks for the screenshot. I have created a feature request in our SecureCRT enhancement database to have tile/tab groups. Should a future release of SecureCRT implement this like Notepad++, we will post to this thread.

If you would like to be notified directly, please complete and submit the form at the following location:
Submit Feature Request

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
505-332-5730
Old 05-10-2012, 09:33 PM

Since the issue I am seeing is different than this thread going to start a new thread.