New session/windows issue - blank/white text area

SecureCRT Version 8.5.4 (build 1942)
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
v1903 18362.418
Intel i7 3820QM, 2.7Ghz
32GB RAM
2x1TB SSD
Quadro K3000M

Often when I have multiple sessions already open and I bring up a new session, I'm welcomed with a blank, strangely functioning window. Every new session within securecrt from then on will be broken and mostly unusable. If I completely restart securecrt I can bring up functional sessions for a while until it happens again.

When this occurs, I've definitely connected to the host. I can type commands and they work, I just can't see what's going on. (screenshot #1) Very odd. Sometimes I can partially see what's going on and increase the window size which expands the blank white area, and more weirdly gives me the ability to change the size of the lower status area. (screenshot #2 where I've resized the status bar). In both of these shots, I have three other sessions open that work fine.

I've updated windows to the latest and upgraded video drivers just in case, to no avail.

One thing, I do have a lot of sessions in my session manager (about 500 machines over 30 or so folders), and by default log all sessions.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance, this is slowly driving me nuts.

screenshot-1

screenshot-2

Last edited by Seames; 10-22-2019 at 11:00 AM. Reason: Changed images to hyperlinks
Old 10-22-2019, 03:09 PM
VanDyke Technical Support

Hi Seames,
Quote:
Often when I have multiple sessions already open and I bring up a new session, I'm welcomed with a blank, strangely functioning window.
The screenshot does not seem to show multiple sessions already open. Are they opened in separate windows?

So walk me through the explicit steps it takes to produce screenshot #1. How do you bring up a new session?

Do you mean opening an existing session from Session Manager? If so, how do you do that? (double-click? File menu? keyboard shortcut?)

Is the first blank, white area on the left in screenshot #1 Session Manager? And then the second area on the right is the blank, strangely functioning window, is that correct?

It looks like you are using VS2013 Dark theme. What if you configure a different theme (View menu -> Themes)? Do these anomalies still occur?

Also, is your SecureCRT config local? Or is it on a network share?

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730
Old 10-24-2019, 10:56 AM

Thanks for the assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgagnon View Post
The screenshot does not seem to show multiple sessions already open. Are they opened in separate windows?
In this case, they are in separate windows, yes. Though it doesn't seem to matter if I bring them up in separate windows or just tabs.

Quote:
So walk me through the explicit steps it takes to produce screenshot #1. How do you bring up a new session?
To replicate this issue with a new session once it starts to go south, I would double-click in the session manager on an entry. A new tab would be formed with a white background. I can't seem to find a way to force things to go wonky, it just sort of happens after a while of opening/closing sessions. It doesn't appear to be related to the number of sessions I have open. Since I've basically given up trying to troubleshoot this, I usually just completely close securecrt and all sessions/ssh windows when it starts, and reconnect everywhere. I decided to post because it finally caused enough pain with having to shut down all sessions to bring up a new one during a particularly sensitive system upgrade.

Quote:
Do you mean opening an existing session from Session Manager? If so, how do you do that? (double-click? File menu? keyboard shortcut?)
Existing "healthy" session windows stay healthy once things start to go sour as long I dont disconnect or resize the window. Once things start to get weird, regardless of how I open a new session in securecrt (quick connect, clone session, clone session in new window, or just double click in the listing) it brings up the new session as expected, with the session manager on the left if I open as a new window, and a blank white screen and tab on the right side that connects successfully and apparently transmits data to the host when I type. I can't select text in this blank window (it's not a white on white font color issue). Normally, I double-click to open sessions from the session manager list.

Quote:
Is the first blank, white area on the left in screenshot #1 Session Manager? And then the second area on the right is the blank, strangely functioning window, is that correct?
Yes, the remains of the session manager is on the left (I just closed that to avoid clutter for the screenshot. You'll notice though that the minimizing of the session manager is replaced with the blank white background.

Quote:
It looks like you are using VS2013 Dark theme. What if you configure a different theme (View menu -> Themes)? Do these anomalies still occur?
This is an excellent question, I hadn't even considered that maybe the theme is the problem here. I hope not, I really like this theme. I'll try with the standard layout and report back.

Quote:
Also, is your SecureCRT config local? Or is it on a network share?
The config is on a local SSD.
Old 10-24-2019, 11:20 AM
VanDyke Technical Support

Hi Seames,

If the issue seems minimized or resolved by a different theme, it's just a data point, we will still investigate.

Here is what I would suggest for next steps. I don't know the period of time it usually takes for the issue to appear, but let's say if early next week you *have not* encountered it with a new theme, then please:
  1. Force a process dump of SecureCRT:
    • Open Windows Task Manager
    • Locate SecureCRT.exe on Details tab
    • Right-click it and choose Create Dump File
  2. Go back to VS2013 Dark theme and wait for issue to occur again and follow same steps to force another process dump.
Then email support@vandyke.com (Attn Brenda - Forum Thread #13946 in subject line) and let me know you have them. Include the email address associated with your download account if not using it as the origin of your email. Then I will provide instructions for uploading the process dump files (please *zip* them prior to upload).

Of course, if you do experience it with the new theme as well, then one process dump only will be needed.

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730

Tags
blank screen