Welcome to the VanDyke Software Forums

Join the discussion today!

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > Scripting

Old 01-25-2008, 09:35 AM

Any way to monitor the screen and prompt for specified keywords?

I'm using SecureCRT 6.0.0 with some session, which is auto-updated irregularly with new lines of message. Each message takes exactly one line on the screen and may be useful if it contains specified keyword(for example, let it be `tiger'). Is there any way to use SecureCRT to refresh every second and prompt(by sound and popup text box) when there is new message that contains the keyword `tiger' on current screen? Note that there might be old message that contains such keyword, which shouldn't be prompted. I've tried some way with VBScript but it doesn't work well.
Old 01-25-2008, 10:05 AM

Hi Lefantome,

It is possible in SecureCRT to notify you with a sound or another method when new data or a certain string appears on the screen.

I have attached a sample script that show how this can be done when any input arrives but this could be modified to your needs by changing the script to wait for the needed text to appear.

Does this sample script help?
Attached Files
File Type: txt NotifyOnOutput.txt (1.7 KB, 269 views)

Teresa

Teresa Nygren
Old 01-28-2008, 10:16 PM

Thank you Teresa, and the situation is worse than I expected:

There are already some messange containing the keyword(`tiger') within their titles, so everytime I refresh the terminal, there'll possibly be some messages containing the keyword to trigger the script's criteria. What I want is to prompt only for new messages... And the script you provided would prompt even if there's no new message...

The terminal seems like this:

Code:
> 31 Jimmy   Come to me...
> 32 Greaw   is there anything new about tiger?
> 33 Wang    Re: let me do it
> 34 Helena  What is the situation?
I can manage to let the terminal refresh every 10 seconds(by sending specified command). For most of the time, the screen would stay as it look like, and I want SecureCRT to stay silent. But when there's new incoming message that contains the keyword within title(e.g. like the following), I want SecureCRT to prompt me.

Code:
> 31 Jimmy   Come to me...
> 32 Greaw   is there anything new about tiger?
> 33 Wang    Re: let me do it
> 34 Helena  What is the situation?
> 35 Scott    I've managed to login with account `tiger'!
Is there anyway to manage the task?

Last edited by lefantome; 01-29-2008 at 12:51 AM.
Old 01-29-2008, 04:45 AM

Ahha, I made it!

Each time the screen is refreshed, put the cursor to the last line of text and then get the text content of that line. By comparing with last-got text, I can justify whether that's a new message.

Another question is, how can I play the sound in background rather than using default audio player? It's interrupting to have a player window always there...

Thank you, Teresa

Last edited by lefantome; 01-29-2008 at 05:30 AM.
Old 01-29-2008, 08:39 AM

Hi Lefantome,

I'm glad to hear that the solution was found!

As for the audio bell, there currently are no settings to change the sound or how it plays.

I have added a request to see if these options could be added to a future release of SecureCRT.

If the options are added, we will post here. If an email notification is preferred, please send me a message and reference this forum thread (2717).

Teresa

Teresa Nygren
Old 08-15-2018, 12:49 PM
VanDyke Product Director

The ability to specify a different sound for the audio bell has been added to a pre-beta version of SecureCRT. Please email me at Maureen.Jett@vandyke.com if you would like to try it.

Maureen