Welcome to the VanDyke Software Forums

Join the discussion today!

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > General

Notices

Old 08-03-2010, 03:16 AM

Supported Scripting in SecureCRT

Sorry if this is a redundant post.

What are the supported scripting langauges in SCT currently ?

Python, Perl, VBS, Jscript, Powershell ?

Are those supported ? Are there more ?

Are there any other outside of SCT languages supported ?

C Sharp, C, C+, C++, J Sharp, .Net, etcetera....

Thanks in advance
cr1275
Old 08-03-2010, 09:45 AM
VanDyke Technical Support

Hi cr1275,

SecureCRT supports any script engine that has an ActiveX interface allowing a program to host the engine. I am aware of Python, Perl, VBScript and JScript. We are not aware of any ActiveX engine for Powershell.

SecureCRT does not have an exposed API, so it is not directly accessible via external programming languages.

Do you need to create programs that provide shell functionality?

If so, do you need emulation support (e.g. VT100, Xterm, etc.)?

In the following forum thread, Mike posted two example scripts that illustrate how to communicate between two scripts.
http://forums.vandyke.com/showthread.php?t=5594
This same concept could be extended to an external program and a SecureCRT script. Would this meet your needs?

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
505-332-5730

Last edited by jdev; 08-03-2010 at 01:54 PM.
Old 08-04-2010, 02:46 AM

Powershell ActiveX Component

Hi,

I'm really keen for SecureCRT to support Powershell.

Please note that Sapien Technologies have developed a small freeware package that may be of real interest. Here is the description:-

A COM component that can be used from VBScript, JScript, KiXtart, or any other COM-compatible language. Allows you to create a direct Powershell host and use cmdlets and scripts from within your favorite scripting language. Multiple output options make integration flexible. Samples included.

Based on your previous comments about engine hosting, would something like that not be a useful starting point?

Here's the link:
http://www.primaltools.com/downloads/communitytools/

-Stuart
Old 08-04-2010, 12:30 PM
VanDyke Technical Support

Hi Stuart,

Thanks for the information. For those that desire to run PowerShell cmdlets in VBScripts, this should prove useful.

For those of you that want to script SecureCRT via the PowerShell interface, this is currently not possible because PowerShell does not provide an ActiveX engine, and SecureCRT does not currently provide a COM object.

Should a future release of SecureCRT support PowerShell, we will post to this thread.

If you would like to be notified directly, please complete and submit the form at the following location:
Submit Feature Request

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
505-332-5730
Old 10-01-2010, 04:17 PM

Unhappy MAC & PHP Love - But None for Windows PowerShell

Correct me if I'm missing the boat here, but PHP was not an ActiveX script language. If that is the case, then VanDyke went out of its way to incorporate an independent language into its base.

Since it has proven a desire and ability to think outside the box, or better yet add new items to its own box...then I am confident it will put its efforts now into incorporating Powershell.

The reasons are two fold and core to keeping SecureCRT for Windows on the level with the MAC version.

1. MAC version has local shell integration - Windows does not.
2. PHP native support has been added to SecureCRT where non existed.

By incorporating support for PowerShell, VanDyke would create access to both the more powerful Shell environment for windows (think MAC shell equiv) and a new scripting language that has access to the entire .NET framework. That's a One, Two Punch -Knockout.

As a longstanding supporter of SecureCRT - min 12-13Years... I'm surprised that a windows based application of this caliber went the MAC/PHP route before providing a more robust environmental support for Windows users.
Old 10-01-2010, 07:28 PM

Hi jdurrett,

I'm a little confused about where PHP comes into the picture. SecureCRT does not support PHP. Can you clarify your question about the scripting language? Are you referring to the scripting support provided on the Mac?

Quote:
Since it has proven a desire and ability to think outside the box, or better yet add new items to its own box...then I am confident it will put its efforts now into incorporating Powershell.
I've added your forum post to our request database and we will post a follow up message to this forum thread if a Powershell interface is implemented. If you would like direct e-mail notification as well should Powershell support be implemented, please let us know and refer to forum post 6194.
[http://www.vandyke.com/support]
Old 10-04-2010, 06:14 AM

SecureCRT and Powershell

Hi,

I don't think that whether PHP is supported or not is the issue.

My personal opinion is that SecureCRT must now change in order to support Windows Powershell.

Activex Scripting is now deprecated in favour of .NET:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ActiveX_Scripting

I've been using terminal emulators for about 15 years and since discovering SecureCRT I have been completely converted. It is an awesome product. But now it has to change.

I appreciate that SecureCRT script support requires an ActiveX host to run in. I appreciate that Powershell does not expose that. This is why I think SecureCRT must change.

Powershell is "the way" for Windows platform scripting. SecureCRT just has to support it or Windows platform users will bleed to whichever terminal emulator does decide to support it.

I must have two hundred Powershell scripts on my work machine. The only VBScript and perl ones are for SecureCRT. Why does that need to be so in 2010?

Powershell support would massively improve your product and attract lots of new users. File browsers, GUI builders, .NET support, WMI support, Remoting, fantastic support for regular expressions and string handling. Check out the Powershell switch -regex statement: It would be phenomenal to pass incoming text through that!

The stack of goodies users would get for free with Powershell is amazing.

I love the look and feel of SecureCRT and with perl and vbscript I have been able to achieve more than I ever could in Procomm and Aspect. But if a product were released tomorrow that offered native Powershell support I would buy it, because I can do more in Powershell (write/improvise script code at the speed of thought); I would simply be more productive - and I know enough to know that I'm nothing special.

SecureCRT deserves to be right at the front in the Windows space by offering Powershell support, this post is driven by the huge respect and admiration that I have for VanDyke and SecureCRT.

Powershell is right on the W7 start menu - how can you go forward telling Windows users that it is not supported?

How about a commitment to your Windows users, perhaps in the near future, that you will indeed be offering Powershell support, or state that you won't.
Either way at least we will then be informed and able to decide what to do.

Kind regards,
Stuart

Last edited by kryten; 10-04-2010 at 06:16 AM.
Old 10-04-2010, 11:00 AM

Thanks Stuart,

I appreciate your interest in Powershell and you explained clearly how Powershell support would help you. I have updated our request database with your forum post. If we offer support for Powershell in a future release we will post a follow up message to this forum thread. I did not see e-mail from you for this particular so if you would like e-mail notification should we implement Powershell support, please let us know and refer to forum thread 5898.
[http://www.vandyke.com/support]
Old 10-04-2010, 01:56 PM

Arrow To Windows7 and Beyond!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryten
Powershell support would massively improve your product and attract lots of new users. File browsers, GUI builders, .NET support, WMI support, Remoting, fantastic support for regular expressions and string handling. Check out the Powershell switch -regex statement: It would be phenomenal to pass incoming text through that!

Stuart

I wanted to support what Stuart wrote as being core to my original post. Its not that MAC has python support where none existed before. But it is certainly ironic that SecureCRT had to have gone out of their way to add that support when creating MAC client and MAC OS scripting languages to excite the user base there to jump on board.

That Windows PowerShell is Windows Future scripting language - with a lifelong commitment as a standalone language - not hodge podge, that is also core to all of their departments within Microsoft - is conclusive statement that SecureCRT needs to bring itself up to date with the Windows OS platform and incorporate PowerShell.

I've been asking for years for SecureCRT to provide external API so that other tools can create their own forms, Custom Gui interfaces to meet their needs...and now we have PowerShell with .NET access to all the forms and GUI building tools anyone could want.

I also have to voice the sentiment that if another product comes across with PowerShell support for terminal operations..even if they dont have much to offer beyond that...they are going to win...cause powershell will fill in all that its lacking and provide more resources still then SecureCRT can now.
Old 10-06-2010, 06:09 PM
VanDyke Product Director

Currently, PowerShell scripting support is not on the SecureCRT roadmap. But that doesn't mean that is isn't being considered for a future version. We will need to do some preliminary investigation to determine the feasability of supporting it and then we will have a better idea about if and when it can be implemented. The decision about whether or not to add a new feature is based on a number of factors, including how many requests we've received, how hard it will be to implement, and how well it fits with the product.

Maureen
Old 02-14-2011, 04:20 PM

Powershell & SecureCRT

Hi,

So it's been a wee while .. but no update that I can see about VanDyke's plans to include support for Powershell in SecureCRT.

Following on from the previous message on the subject would it now be possible to indicate whether a future version of SecureCRT will support Powershell? Is it in the SecureCRT roadmap even?

Thanks,
Stuart
Old 02-14-2011, 05:15 PM
VanDyke Product Director

Power Shell has been added to the SecureCRT roadmap. It won't be in the next version (6.7), but we plan to add it to the following version. If you'd like to be notified when it's available, please send an e-mail to me Maureen.Jett@vandyke.com.

Maureen
Old 10-03-2011, 07:20 PM
VanDyke Product Director

I had previously posted that PowerShell support was on the roadmap. The roadmap was revised and PowerShell is no longer on the roadmap. A programmer looked into this and it will take more work to implement than was originally thought, so it's currently on hold. It will still be considered for a future version of SecureCRT.

Maureen
Old 05-04-2012, 02:58 PM

Powershell & SecureCRT

Hi,

Its been a while and I wondered if you were any closer to implementing Powershell support in SecureCRT.

Thanks,
Stuart
Old 05-04-2012, 03:54 PM
VanDyke Product Director

Thanks for following up on this. It's not currently on the roadmap. As I mentioned in a previous post, it will be a fairly large undertaking. I reviewed the requests we've received and they seem to have dropped off in the last year or so. If there are others out there who are interested in this feature and haven't already e-mail us, please send me an e-mail at Maureen.Jett@vandyke.com.

Maureen