Welcome to the VanDyke Software Forums

Join the discussion today!

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > SecureCRT on the Mac

Old 03-03-2020, 11:00 AM

Local Port Forwarding Not Working

Is anybody else seeing issues with local port forwarding through SecureCRT? No matter what I try I cannot get it to work, I just get "site can't be reached" every time. I'm on Catalina and SecureCRT 8.7.0 but this has been happening for at least the last several SecureCRT betas, although I can't remember if I first saw it with 8.7 or earlier than that.
Old 03-03-2020, 01:48 PM
VanDyke Technical Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by parduemw View Post
Is anybody else seeing issues with local port forwarding through SecureCRT?
There haven't been any reports of port forwarding failures in SecureCRT on Catalina that I'm aware of.

Quote:
No matter what I try I cannot get it to work, I just get "site can't be reached" every time.
Edit:
The original content of this posting has been moved to a How-To:
Troubleshooting Local Port Forwarding in SecureCRT

--Jake
Attached Images
File Type: png PortForwardingExplained.png (395.2 KB, 81 views)
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/vandykesoftware
Email: support@vandyke.com
Web: https://www.vandyke.com/support

Last edited by jdev; 03-06-2020 at 10:41 AM.
Old 03-06-2020, 09:22 AM

First off, I want to say that your response was great! I don't think I've ever gotten such a detailed reply anywhere, let alone one that led me straight to the answer. Secondly, I did not know about the Trace Options function in SecureCRT. Using that I was able to determine that the issue is in fact not with SecureCRT, but with the device I'm connected to where the port forward is occurring. It's not allowing the port forward to be set up. The odd thing is that I have a ton of these devices in service, all on the same firmware, and port forwarding worked perfectly up until a month or two ago but now it won't work on any of them. Now I get to hunt down what changed on those devices (they are cloud managed so perhaps a new setting was pushed that I'm not aware of?), but at least I know I'm moving in the right direction now.

Thank you for your help!!!! It's very much appreciated!

Edit: For the sake of not looking like a complete incompetent, I didn't decide SecureCRT was the issue after having issues with only these devices. I also tried through a Raspberry Pi I had at a customer's site but it failed on that device as well. It later worked on that same Linux device when using SecureCRT on a Windows machine, but there could be any number of explanations there. At the very least I know more about the problem now and have more tools to diagnose.

Last edited by parduemw; 03-06-2020 at 09:26 AM.
Old 03-06-2020, 10:45 AM
VanDyke Technical Support

Quote:
First off, I want to say that your response was great! I don't think I've ever gotten such a detailed reply anywhere, let alone one that led me straight to the answer
Glad to hear it.

I've moved the content of my prior post into a separate How-To so that it can be referenced/found more easily.

Quote:
Edit: For the sake of not looking like a complete incompetent, I didn't decide SecureCRT was the issue...
For what it's worth, incompetency wasn't a suspicion of mine; port forwarding is one of the more complex (and cool!) aspects of the SSH protocol. Up to this point, we didn't have a step-by-step troubleshooting guide, and your question was a good opportunity for us to create one.

--Jake
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/vandykesoftware
Email: support@vandyke.com
Web: https://www.vandyke.com/support