Welcome to the VanDyke Software Forums

Join the discussion today!

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > General

Old 11-17-2019, 02:12 AM

Feature Request “Command window store command history after session was closed

Usually, I open a group of sessions send the command to all sessions use the command window. If send command again was needed I just press up arrow key to view command history in the command window.

After I closed the session open a new group of session, the command history in the command window was gone.

Last edited by kingzleshe; 11-17-2019 at 02:18 AM.
Old 11-18-2019, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingzleshe View Post
Usually, I open a group of sessions send the command to all sessions use the command window. If send command again was needed I just press up arrow key to view command history in the command window.

After I closed the session open a new group of session, the command history in the command window was gone.
If you keep SecureCRT open, close all of your tabs and open a new group of sessions in that same instance of SecureCRT, your command history would remain intact. It's only when you close SecureCRT that the command window history is lost (because this history is kept in memory).

If you are wanting the command history to remain intact after closing SecureCRT then I've recorded a feature request on your behalf so that the SecureCRT product director may be able to evaluate it for potential inclusion in some future release. I don't yet have any ETA for when or even if this might ever become available, but if it does we'll post an update here.

As an alternative, SecureCRT 8.7 introduces an new feature called the Command Manager which can be used to quickly send commands to multiple hosts. This means that you could configure a sequences of commands in the Command Manager and send them one by one.

If you are interested in trying out the new version of SecureCRT 8.7, please send an email to support@vandyke.com from your Vandyke Software download account with a Subject of "Command Manager-Forum Thread #13974".

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730
Old 11-19-2019, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashiosee View Post
If you keep SecureCRT open, close all of your tabs and open a new group of sessions in that same instance of SecureCRT, your command history would remain intact. It's only when you close SecureCRT that the command window history is lost (because this history is kept in memory).

If you are wanting the command history to remain intact after closing SecureCRT then I've recorded a feature request on your behalf so that the SecureCRT product director may be able to evaluate it for potential inclusion in some future release. I don't yet have any ETA for when or even if this might ever become available, but if it does we'll post an update here.

As an alternative, SecureCRT 8.7 introduces an new feature called the Command Manager which can be used to quickly send commands to multiple hosts. This means that you could configure a sequences of commands in the Command Manager and send them one by one.

If you are interested in trying out the new version of SecureCRT 8.7, please send an email to support@vandyke.com from your Vandyke Software download account with a Subject of "Command Manager-Forum Thread #13974".
As a matter of fact, even I use the same instance of SecureCRT, the command history still not available. or maybe there is a misunderstanding.
Old 11-19-2019, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingzleshe View Post
As a matter of fact, even I use the same instance of SecureCRT, the command history still not available. or maybe there is a misunderstanding.
Thank you. I apologize about my previous message. You are correct. The command history is tab specific. If you close all of your tabs, keep SecureCRT running, and open a new group of tabs, the command history from the original group of tabs does in fact disappear.

What you could do is open a group of tabs, keep SecureCRT open, disconnect (do not close the tabs) the group of tabs and open new connections using the disconnected tabs, then your command history will remain intact.

Also, commands only get added to the command window history if the command window is in "Send to All..." mode.

As I mentioned earlier 8.7 does have the Command Manager. If you are interested in trying out the new version of SecureCRT 8.7, please send an email to support@vandyke.com from your Vandyke Software download account with a Subject of "Command Manager-Forum Thread #13974".

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730