Scroll options not working?

I have the following unchecked under Options...Session options...Terminal:

scroll to bottom on output

and i have the following checked:

jump scroll

According to the manual:
Quote:
Jump scroll
When this option is off, each line is scrolled off the screen one at a time. When Jump Scroll is on, up to a full screen can be scrolled off the screen at once. When viewing a large volume of data from the remote host, turning on Jump Scroll can significantly enhance performance.

Scroll to bottom on output
Check this button to have SecureCRT automatically scroll to the bottom of the incoming data when new data is received.
However, i am seeing the opposite (even when they were checked i was seeing the same behavior. I have never seen jump scroll work).

Basically i do NOT want the window to jump to the bottom if i scroll up into the buffer and i WOULD like to have the mouse wheel scroll up one screen vs one line at a time.

I have these settings in my sessions and the default settings. I even restarted SCRT to verify things. Here are my ini values:

D:"Scrollback"=00007d00
D:"Horizontal Scrollbar"=00000002
D:"Vertical Scrollbar"=00000002
D:"Jump Scroll"=00000001
D:"Scroll To Clear"=00000001
D:"Scroll To Bottom On Output"=00000000
D:"Scroll To Bottom On Keypress"=00000001

I am using the demo version but will be purchasing both SecureCRT and SecureFX on Dec 1.

Am I doing something wrong? are these things not working in the demo?

I am switching from putty and so far i really dig SecureCRT.

Thanks!

Last edited by MikeStammer; 11-17-2005 at 03:21 PM. Reason: Added ini settings
Old 11-18-2005, 07:14 PM
VanDyke Product Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeStammer
Basically i do NOT want the window to jump to the bottom if i scroll up into the buffer and i WOULD like to have the mouse wheel scroll up one screen vs one line at a time.
Thanks for posting. I think there is some confusion about what jump scroll does. It only affects data being sent from the remote. It does not affect how text is scrolled once it's in the scrollback buffer. To scroll back one page at a time, click the area above the scroll thumb. I was wondering if you have used applications where the scroll wheel scrolls more than a line at a time. If so, did you have to set an option or hold down the Ctrl or Alt key?

To prevent the window jumping to the bottom, you need to uncheck two options, which are on the Terminal page in the Session Options dialog:

- Scroll to bottom on output (which you already unchecked)
- Scroll to bottom on keypress

Maureen
Old 11-18-2005, 08:58 PM

I will check out the jump scroll via alt key thing. thats not as big a deal to me if it doesnt work how i thought it did. I just wasnt sure based on the description

what if i want to have it scroll down to the bottom on keypress tho? why are there 2 options if i have to uncheck both to not have it scroll to the bottom when new input comes across? I like being able to scroll up, find what i am looking for, and then scroll back down to current via space bar or something. can this be an enhancement request? it seems like a bug to me at the moment tho for the reasons above. if both have to be unchecked for SCRT not to scroll on input, it really should be one option, no?

Thanks
Old 11-21-2005, 07:19 PM
VanDyke Product Director

Quote:
what if i want to have it scroll down to the bottom on keypress tho? why are there 2 options if i have to uncheck both to not have it scroll to the bottom when new input comes across? I like being able to scroll up, find what i am looking for, and then scroll back down to current via space bar or something. can this be an enhancement request? it seems like a bug to me at the moment tho for the reasons above. if both have to be unchecked for SCRT not to scroll on input, it really should be one option, no?
When you only had "Scroll to bottom on output" unchecked, what did SecureCRT do?

I will attempt to explain the two options. "Scroll to bottom on output" refers to output that comes from the remote. For example, if you were compiling something and wanted to scroll up to look at an error message, if this option were unchecked, the compilation output would not cause SecureCRT to scroll to the bottom. "Scroll to bottom on keypress" refers to input that comes from the user. Using the same example, if this option were checked, then pressing the space bar would cause SecureCRT to scroll to the bottom. Please let me know if anything is still unclear.

Maureen
Old 11-21-2005, 08:59 PM

I understand how the options should work and have been enjoying these options in the Putty application for years. what i am saying is that the options arent working in SCRT5. IE, when i have 'scroll to bottom on output' unchecked it still jumps me to the bottom when new text arrives on the remote host.

what i would like is for the options to do as you describe.

my first post was pretty clear on what i am seeing and what my understanding of the options do.

The program is, from what i have seen so far, not behaving how the options selected reflect.

I just downloaded a trial on a machine i have here and the exact same behavior is occurring. the options just dont work

when i have scroll to bottom on output unchecked, scroll up into the buffer (lets say i am already using tail -f on a maillog file), and log into my mail server so some activity is logged, i am seeing the scroll bar jump to the bottom of the screen which is exactly opposite of what the option is supposed to do. I even checked the option and it still did the same thing.

this certainly seems like a bug if i can reproduce it in 2+ machines. I am connecting to freeBSD 6 RELEASE in all instances.

here is a nice test. Uncheck the scroll to bottom on output option, log into a shell, type 'yes' (without the quotes) and try to scroll up without it slamming you back down to the bottom. I havent seen it work yet. i can make a video of it if necessary to demonstrate.

Can anyone else try this and post your results here?

Where do we go from here? can a bug report be filed?

Last edited by MikeStammer; 11-21-2005 at 09:06 PM.
Old 11-23-2005, 09:24 AM
VanDyke Developer

Quote:
when i have scroll to bottom on output unchecked, scroll up into the buffer (lets say i am already using tail -f on a maillog file), and log into my mail server so some activity is logged, i am seeing the scroll bar jump to the bottom of the screen which is exactly opposite of what the option is supposed to do. I even checked the option and it still did the same thing.
With the "Scroll to bottom on output" option turned off, you must scroll back at least one screen length in order to not be scrolled back to the bottom when new data arrives. Does this scroll-back behavior meet your needs?

There is a feature request to not scroll to the bottom on output (if the option is turned off) regardless of how far back you have scrolled. If you would like to be notified if that feature is implemented, please send your contact information to support@vandyke.com and reference forum thread #1129.
Old 11-23-2005, 10:27 AM

i can confirm it is working as you describe when you scroll up at least one screen. This will indeed work for me, but the feature request you mention will accomplish the current behavior and be a little more inline for how the option is described. If the feature request doesnt make it into the next release, i would suggest updating the help file to reflect the need to scroll 1 or more screens into the scrollback to clarify the functionality

Thanks a lot! i really like SCRT!!
Old 03-01-2013, 01:40 PM
VanDyke Product Director

SecureCRT's scrolling behavior has been changed so that when the option "Scroll to bottom" is unchecked, SecureCRT never scrolls to the bottom. This change will be in SecureCRT 7.1 beta 2, which will be released in the next few weeks. If you would like to try it before then, please send e-mail to me at Maureen.Jett@vandyke.com.

Maureen