VanDyke Software Forums

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > SecureCRT 5.1/SecureFX 3.1/VShell 2.6 Beta
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-06-2005, 02:50 AM

Thumbs down SecureCRT crashes if I disconnect a session

If I connect to a server with SSH2 and a passphrase SecureCRT works fine. Nice I connect via telnet to another server. If I then disconnect this session by pressing the cross in the red box on the top right site of the window, it properly asks me if I want to disconnect this session. If I then press "yes" SecureCRT crashes .

I'm using SecureCRT 5.0.0 (build 974) - Beta Release - June 2, 2005.
Old 06-06-2005, 11:14 AM
VanDyke Product Director

Thanks for posting. There's some additional information that would help us track this down.

- Have I understood correctly that you're doing public key authentication only and using a passphrase with your public key?
- When you say you telnet to another machine, are you typing "telnet <server>" in the SSH2 session (as opposed to opening a separate telnet session)?
- What platform are you on?
- What is the SSH2 server?
- Could you please send a crash dump to me at Maureen.Jett@vandyke.com? Instructions for generating a crash dump can be found here:

http://forums.vandyke.com/showthread.php?t=225

Maureen

Last edited by Maureen; 06-06-2005 at 11:16 AM.
Old 06-08-2005, 04:15 AM

SecureCRT crashes if I disconnect a session

We've got in our environment a lot of AIX and SUN unix servers to which I connect via SecureCRT 5.0 from a Windows 2000 machine. What I did and what caused the problems were these steps:
- I connect to one of our AIX servers with SSH2 using a passphrase. This works fine. I'm using tabs by the way.
- Next I clicked the "Quick Connect" button.
- Then I changed the protocol to telnet and tried to connect to one of our SUN servers. This also worked without problems.
- Next I click the red square on the top right with the white cross to disconnect. I'm then asked if I really want to disconnect.
- If I then click "Yes" I get a runtime error:
[IMG]file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/nl05473/Desktop/error1.gif[/IMG]
- If I then click "Ok" I get an application error:
[IMG]file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/nl05473/Desktop/error2.gif[/IMG]

Probably the inclusion of the pictures fails, but if you want to see them I can send them to you.

Is this enough information ? I've got no idea how to create a crash dump.

Kind regards, Ronald
Old 06-08-2005, 11:59 AM
VanDyke Product Director

Ronald,

Thanks for posting the additional information. Since we are unable to reproduce the problem here, the most efficient way for us to track this down is to get a crash dump from you. Here are instructions for creating and retrieving a dump file.

Prior to running SecureCRT, set up Dr. Watson (open Dr. Watson, click Start, and then click Run. In the Open box, type drwtsn32).

In that dialog, the log path and crash dump path should be already be set. Please note these paths for future reference.

Set the Crash Dump Type to "Full" if you have a fast Internet connection (since you will be sending the crash dump file to us). If you have a slow connection, set the Crash Dump Type to "Mini".

In the "Options" section be sure you have at least the following items checked:

- Dump all thread contexts
- Create crash dump file

Close the Dr. Watson dialog and repeat the steps that cause SecureCRT to crash. After the crash occurs, you should find the "Crash Dump" file specified above recently created on your disk.

Please send the file to me at Maureen.Jett@vandyke.com.

Thanks,
Maureen
Old 06-09-2005, 08:31 AM

Maureen,

I've send you a mail. I'm afraid it's not containing a dump, because I wasn't able to create it. For more details see the mail.

Kind regards, Ronald
Old 06-22-2005, 03:36 PM
VanDyke Developer

Ronald,

Does the telnet session you are disconnecting have the "Close on disconnect" session option set? You can find this in the Session Options dialog under Terminal settings.

Thanks,
Chris
Old 06-24-2005, 04:51 AM

I have the problem also in the official SecureCrt 5.0 version. Turning that setting off indeed avoids the problem. However, now I have to close each tab manually after I've disconnected a session.
Old 06-24-2005, 10:10 AM
VanDyke Developer

Ronald,

I am glad to here you can avoid the crash with this workaround. We are working on a fix for this and I will keep you updated on the status.

Thanks,
Chris