Welcome to the VanDyke Software Forums

Join the discussion today!

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > General

Old 03-17-2007, 12:44 PM

Angry SCRT and SFX faux integration when I said no

Anyone else had a faux integration of SFX and SCRT when they'd said no?

Installed latest release of SCRT, then copied my sessions from my old pc, created a new session, then needed to transfer a file so I then installed the latest release of SFX (latest public releases, not betas!!)

I closed SCRT, opened SFX and was prompted "do I want to integrate" I clicked no (Just say "NO" little children), it then asked me where I wanted to put my config .. without thinking ... I just clicked ok .. I had assumed that if I answered *NO* to the integration, that it would not pre-populate the file location dialog with the same config folder that was used for SCRT ... wrong was i !!

So immediately I notice that all my SCRT sessions show up.. knowing right away that perhaps its the config directory.. I look .. sure enough.. its the same as SCRT's ... fine.. I'll just change it to another directory and be done with it..

Nope.. I do that, it blanks the sessions for SFX after I restarted.. but just to tempt fate... I start SCRT .. and guess what.. now ITS looking that the new directory and the one config I had created for SFX !!

Madness ensues. I figure maybe I have to set both manually ... either one, set either way, for some bizarre reason caused BOTH to be set to the same directory..

I've looked ... and didn't see this type of integration problem in the forums (sorry if I've missed it) ... I did check HKLU .. and guess what.. there is NO integration tag/key/data under the Vandyke section..

I did see the config keys and their entries there, and so manually changed the one there for SFX and then to tempt fate again, started both, and both were as they should be ... SCRT with its config, SFX with a different one..

Bug ??

Frustrating most definately!

-Robert
Old 03-19-2007, 09:10 AM

Hi Robert,

I'm sorry to hear that there were all these issues de-integrating SecureCRT and SecureFX!

I did also receive your email message and has sent you a response. Please let me know if you do not receive it.

Currently, both applications do default to the same configuration folder path. I have entered a request and sent it to the product manager to see if when integration is not selected, a different path will be populated by default.

We will let you know if any future release has this change!

In reading all the issues you had de-integrating SecureFX and SecureCRT, would it be helpful if this process was more automatic (similar to the integration process)?

Teresa

Teresa Nygren
Old 03-19-2007, 09:34 AM

Talking

Ya... got your other message too.. Thanks!!

Everyone at VanDyke has been super every time.. this time no different.. you set good expectations!!

As for the automatic? .. no... would *never* want something easy.. Ya.. I'm being sarcastic..

Honestly.. Yes.. having it more automated would always be better .. I guess the real issue first is to find out was *I* the only one that experienced this.. so it was a one off thing.. or.. is this something that would happen to anyone.

If the problem is repeatable.. that is.. someone clicks "no" and then just "accepts" the default folder ... and then it causes problems like I had ... with change it in one program and the other changes along with it, then yes.. absolutely this is something that needs a work around.

ie.. the moment someone selects "no" for integration, i would have expected the key to be created then, for "integration=0"... and with that an attempt at using the default in both gets an additional warning (ie. you chose not to integrate but have chosen the same directory for session data files")

and the other part of that... being that when I did then go to change it in *one* program both got changed..

but which then leads me to question.. why have a registry key/setting for "integrated" being a 1 or a 0, if you simply need to put the working config directory as the same path in both programs? I'm sure its there for *other* reasons too.. but it just smarted a little when I couldn't change it without going into the registry..

and that's really the only reason I would say mandates the "automation" ... keeping users out of the registry as much as possible to defrey any "accidents" in there.

-R
Old 03-19-2007, 12:03 PM

Hi Robert,

Thank you for the nice comments!

I've added this post and you email address to the request for a more automated method to de-integrate SecureCRT and SecureFX.

Each situation seems to be slightly different as to what happens when de-integrating the products but all require some editing of the registry.

We will also let you know if this option is added.

Teresa

Teresa Nygren