Welcome to the VanDyke Software Forums

Join the discussion today!

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > General

Old 10-07-2009, 12:31 PM

ALT key problem in 6.5b1

I use a hotkey program in my XP. In all previous versions of SecureCRT I was able to do the following:

1. Open SecureCRT and login to remote machine.
2. Press ALT-K to output a string via my hotkeys program.
3. Continue typing in the SecureCRT window.

Version 6.5b1 interferes with #3. After the ALT-K the focus is moved to the FILE menu. I am forced to re-press ALT or click the mouse where I want to continue typing.

If I uncheck 'Global Options/General/Show menu bar' the menu properly disappears, but the focus problem remains.

Larry
Old 10-07-2009, 03:45 PM

Hello Larry,

We have received a few reports about the Alt key problems, but so far every report has turned out to be unrelated to SecureCRT. Either the problem was coincidental and rebooting the computer fixed the problem, or the problem couldn't be replicated by our customers or us.

The behavior you describe makes it sound like either the 'K' is not being recognized, or the Alt key is registering a key down and key up event. If you press and release only the Alt key then the first menu item will have focus. File is generally the first menu item in Windows applications.

Hiding the menu wouldn't change the behavior.

If you open another program such as Windows Notepad and press Alt-K does the same problem occur?

I'm not sure that the hotkey program would make any difference, but which one are you using, and what happens if you restart the hotkey application?

What happens if you completely close all instances of SecureCRT and restart SecureCRT - does the same Alt problem occur?
[http://www.vandyke.com/support]
Old 10-08-2009, 11:41 AM

ALT key problem in 6.5b1

Hi Mike,

I'll explain how this Alt-key-menu problem manifests itself without a hotkey program involved.

All previous version of SecureCRT and all other programs (i.e. Notepad etc) work as follows:

1. Press/Release ALT and the 1st menu item gains focus.
2. Chars of importance become underlined.
3. Press a key that is NOT underlined.
4. Focus LEAVES the menu and RETURNS to the client area.

SecureCRT 6.5b1 works as follows:

1. Same as above (proper behavior)
2. NO underlining occurs. (A problem, but not the issue here).
3. Press a key that is NOT (normally) underlined.
4. Focus STAYS on the menu !!

Focus staying on the menu is a problem for any hotkey program when using an ALT key combination.

Larry
Old 10-08-2009, 01:02 PM

Larry,

Thank you for providing the detailed steps. What version of SecureCRT were you using prior to version 6.5 beta 1 in which you saw the behavior you expected?

The reason I ask is because I've tested version 6.2, 6.1 and 6.0, and in each of these versions the behavior is the same. If you don't press a valid menu accelerator after pressing and releasing the Alt key, focus stays on the menu. Version 5.5 is the most recent version I tested which shows the behavior you want to see.
Old 10-08-2009, 02:12 PM

The Alt-Menu stuff has been working as expected in all versions I've used since 2003. Versions 3.x thru 6.2.2.

This 6.5b1 is the first time I've seen the focus staying on the menu.

Perhaps, fixing the lack of underlines when ALT is first pressed would solve the issue ?

FWIW, here's my hardware/software info

- Windows XP Pro SP3 32bit
- Hot Keyboard Pro v3.2.603

The problem is really ugly when I set a hotkey (like ALT-K) that sends a string.

Thanks Mike,

Larry
Old 10-08-2009, 03:10 PM

Larry,

I've created a bug report so that we can investigate the problem further. We'll post here if we have further information. For direct notification, please let us know and reference forum thread 4108.