Welcome to the VanDyke Software Forums

Join the discussion today!

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > General

Old 03-28-2015, 07:07 PM

Is SecureFX able to do this type of transfer?

I am demo’ing SecureFX and was wondering about a few features.

I have a LAN setup and regularly move files between servers.

This is my home office network setup, and a question about what im trying to achieve.
The dotted lines are the wifi connection, and the solid black is LAN.

Is this down to settings being configured on the server side or client side. Is there something that i would have to configure on the ssh servers? If so, what would it be? Every server/computer in the network is mac based.
I've tried scp'ing with SecureFX from Server A - Server B and i'm pretty sure the data is being sent directly BUT over Wifi, Server A WIFI->Router->ServerB WIFI) But this is not what i want. I'm looking for Server A -> Server B through the ethernet connection.

Is there anything in the logs when starting a SCP session that tells you if there is a server to server connection going on, that will also tell you which interface it's taking, ethernet or wifi?
Old 03-30-2015, 08:04 AM
VanDyke Technical Support

Hi fhill2,

Thanks for the post.

The SSH2 protocol does not offer server to server transfer capability via SFTP or SCP.

It sounds like you want to have an SCP client on Server A that can transfer a file to Server B. You would use a shell connection to Server A rather than use a file transfer client. For this type of scenario, you could use SecureCRT.

Does this help to answer your question?

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
505-332-5730
Old 03-30-2015, 11:21 AM

Hi rtb, thanks a lot for your advice.

[/QUOTE] It sounds like you want to have an SCP client on Server A that can transfer a file to Server B. You would use a shell connection to Server A rather than use a file transfer client. For this type of scenario, you could use SecureCRT. [/QUOTE]

Yes this is what i want, with the addition of a GUI/File browser. I'm looking for software that i can run on the machine named "Client" in the above image that will be viewing the directories/files of the ssh server A-B-C.
When i have selected the files i want moved (could be from/to any server) the software running on "client machine" ssh's into the selected files server and then transfers it to the destination
For example, i am viewing files on the servers with software running on the client machine. I have 2 panes open, Server A directory & Server B directory. I drag files from Server A to Server B. The software opens a shell connection from client to Server A and then moves the files to Server B as if it was done locally through shell on Server A.

OR, a scripted solution. Browsing using Finder GUI/file browser and copying the files to the clipboard, then CTRL clicking on the destination folder and running a script. The script will ssh into the selected finder files server and initiate a transfer to the folder i run the script on.

I can ssh to the machine of the files i want to copy manually then i lack the GUI that speeds up the type of work im doing.
Old 03-30-2015, 11:46 AM
VanDyke Technical Support

Hi fhill2,

Thanks for the update. SecureFX does not currently offer this functionality. I have created a feature request to add the ability to SecureFX to establish a shell command and SCP directly from Server A to Server B.

We will post to this forum thread if we add this functionality in a future SecureFX release.

If you would like to be notified directly, please complete and submit the form at the following location:
Submit Feature Request

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
505-332-5730