Welcome to the VanDyke Software Forums

Join the discussion today!

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > General

Old 05-24-2018, 09:27 AM

only one script at a time can be run

Good day,

Having an issue running multiple scripts. I use VBScript when connecting to devices and JavaScript to launch a script from the SecureCRT menu. When a script is launched from the menu I get "The script cannot be run because a script is currently running. Only one script at a time can be run" when connected to a device and the VBscript is running.

The script from the menu launches an internal web page for users to get help and has nothing to do with any sessions.

Could not find a solution searching these forums.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
CoyoteRay
Old 05-24-2018, 09:56 AM
VanDyke Technical Support

Hi CoyoteRay,

I don't know that I have enough information to propose a solution. Can you tell me a little more about how you're using SecureCRT and scripting?

What does you logon script do? Does the script complete after login or does it continue to run in the background?

How are you launching the second script? What menu are you using to launch?

Is there a reason a script is needed to launch the internal web page? Would launching the web page directly from a button on the Button Bar be an option?

What version of SecureCRT are you running? What Operating System is SecureCRT running on?

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730
Old 05-24-2018, 10:16 AM

Answers to your questions:

Q: What does you logon script do? Does the script complete after login or does it continue to run in the background?

A: It runs in the background capturing logs and performing various tasks such as pre/post checks before/after a change.

Q: How are you launching the second script? What menu are you using to launch?

A: A new company drop down menu was added which a "Tool Help" item was added to. The menu item launches a script which loads a web page to my teams help page.

MENUITEM "&Network Tools Help", "RUN", "C:\SecureCRT\NA\Scripts\URL_NA_Document.js"

Q: Is there a reason a script is needed to launch the internal web page?

A: So user don't have to hunt down the latest help page, for example we recently moved from one SharePoint site to another.

Q: Would launching the web page directly from a button on the Button Bar be an option?

A:Get the same message, "The script cannot be run because a script is currently running. ... "

Last edited by CoyoteRay; 05-24-2018 at 11:33 AM.
Old 05-24-2018, 11:11 AM

Hi CoyoteRay,

Thanks for the additional information.

As I hinted one option may be to use the Button Bar.
  1. Choose View > Button Bar if it is not visible already
  2. Right click on the Button Bar and choose New Button
  3. Select Launch Application in the Function drop down
  4. Provide the full path to your Browser
  5. Enter the desired URL in the Arguments field
  6. Add an appropriate Label

This Button Bar Video is a good resource if you are not familiar with the Button Bar.

Does this allow you to launch your help page as expected?

There are other potential solutions that may work, and allow you to continue use of the menu, but they are more complex. Exploring these options may entail gathering information that is not suited for the forums. If you are interested in exploring these options please send and email to Support@VanDyke.com with "Attn: Eric Forum Post 13123" in the subject line.
Attached Images
File Type: png MapButton.png (11.1 KB, 48 views)

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730
Old 05-24-2018, 11:51 AM

I need to run a script or batch file, the button bar only works when launching a exe application. My users would hand me if I launched anything but their default browser.
Old 05-24-2018, 12:37 PM

CoyoteRay,

I have created two feature requests on your behalf, one to allow launching a webpage from a custom menu using the default browser and the same from the button bar. We will be sure to let you know if these features become available. If you would like to be notified directly please send an email to Support@VanDyke.com with "Feature Request Forum Post 13123" In the subject line.

I would be happy to assist with finding a solution that allows you to launch an additional script, this will likely require gathering additional information not suitable for the forums. Please feel free to email, per my previous post, if you would like to explore these options.

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730
Old 05-24-2018, 01:05 PM

Can I get a feature request to allow running of multiple scripts at a time as well?
Old 05-24-2018, 01:32 PM

CoyoteRay,

I have also added you to a feature request to allow multiple scripts, per tab, simultaneously. To be clear, SecureCRT can run multiple scripts at the same time, it is currently limited to one script per tab.

Let me know if you would like to explore other solutions.

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730
Old 05-24-2018, 03:09 PM

Thank you.

Just so we are on the same page:

I would like the ability to run a script in a tab and from the menu/tool bar. Running one script per connection makes since. Looking for the ability to run a script apart from a session. Launching a web page is just one or many examples.

Right now if I launch a script when without being connected to a session a new tab opens which gets replaced when I connect to a session.
Old 05-24-2018, 03:25 PM

CoyoteRay,

Understood, and we may be able to get much the same behavior by opening a new tab, launching your script, and closing the newly created tab. This may be able to be done from inside your custom menu fairly transparently to your users. There are also options such as having the remote system trigger actions on the local machine. These options will most likely require gathering information about your needs/configuration that would not be appropriate for public forums.

I would like to explore these options with you but I understand if you are not interested.

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730
Old 05-26-2018, 09:52 AM

This sounds like this will resolve my request. Is there a document you can point me to accomplish this? Searching this forum and Google did not reveal an answer.
Old 05-29-2018, 08:33 AM

CoyoteRay,

To further explore potential work around options please send an email to Support@VanDyke.com with "Attn: Eric Forum Post 13123" in the subject line. Please include the serial number associated with your license information in the email. This information can be found by navigating to Help > About SecureCRT...

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730