Welcome to the VanDyke Software Forums

Join the discussion today!

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > Scripting

Old 05-15-2020, 01:09 PM

Post PGP - question and suggestion

I'm currently evaluating SecureFX 8.7.2 to see if it meets my needs and I have a question regarding the PGP feature.

When 'Use PGP for all transfers' is activated, can you symmetrically encrypt files, i.e. using a password (not a public key)?

I tried using the "--passphrase 1234" switch in the 'Pre-upload command' field but it didn't work. I also tried suppressing the interactive PIN prompt by using the "--pinentry-mode loopback" switches but that didn't work either.

The method of encrypting files with a public key does work so I know there's not a problem with my GPG installation.

Quote:
gpg.exe --recipient "Name of Recipient's Certificate" --output "%OUTPUT_PATH" --encrypt "%INPUT_PATH"

In terms of feedback it'd be good if you could include in your documentation that GPG needs to be installed as an administrator (for all users) to work with SecureFX.

Initially it took me an hour to work out why even the public key method wasn't working. After installing GPG for 'All Users' in Windows, it worked.
Old 05-15-2020, 05:17 PM
VanDyke Technical Support

Hi ben.moore,

Thank you for the feedback and question! When you configure a pre/post-upload gpg command, SecureFX simply calls your GPG/PGP tool using the command that you specify.

If you are able to get the --passphrase and --pinentry-mode options to work successfully on the command line, then I can't see why you wouldn't be able to incorporate those elements into the command line that SecureFX is using to launch the same app.

Does the passphrase that you are trying to add contain any special characters that would then need to be escaped (as per the GPG/PGP command line documentation)?

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730
Old 05-18-2020, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berdmann View Post
Does the passphrase that you are trying to add contain any special characters that would then need to be escaped (as per the GPG/PGP command line documentation)?
Thanks for the reply.

No the passphrase is standard alphanumeric - I've tried with/without special symbols, numbers only and letters only.

Could you perhaps try the following switch?

Code:
gpg --output test.gpg --symmetric test.txt
or
Code:
gpg -o test.gpg -c test.txt
When using SecureFX you would type:

Code:
gpg --output "%OUTPUT_PATH" --symmetric "%INPUT_PATH"
Old 05-19-2020, 09:52 AM

Here's what works for me:

Pre-upload command for symmetric encryption:
With GPG debug logging (per file):
Code:
gpg.exe --verbose --log-file "%OUTPUT_PATH__LOG".txt --batch --yes --pinentry-mode loopback --passphrase p4$$phr$s3 --output "%OUTPUT_PATH" --symmetric "%INPUT_PATH"
No GPG debug logging:
Code:
gpg.exe --batch --yes --pinentry-mode loopback --passphrase p4$$phr$s3 --output "%OUTPUT_PATH" --symmetric "%INPUT_PATH"
Post-download command for symmetric decryption:
With GPG debug logging (per file):
Code:
gpg --verbose --log-file "%OUTPUT_PATH__LOG".txt --batch --yes --pinentry-mode loopback --passphrase p4$$phr$s3 --output "%OUTPUT_PATH" -d "%INPUT_PATH"
No GPG debug logging:
Code:
gpg --batch --yes --pinentry-mode loopback --passphrase p4$$phr$s3 --output "%OUTPUT_PATH" -d "%INPUT_PATH"

Notes:
  • The --batch ensures that the GPG process won't hang waiting for input should something go "wrong"
  • The --yes answers "Yes" to any questions requiring using input
  • The --pinentry-mode seems to prevent PGP from popping-up a dialog to prompt for the encryption/decryption password
  • The --passphrase specifies the symmetric key/password/passphrase to use for encrypting/decrypting the file.
  • The --output determines the name of the file resulting from the PGP/GPG operation.
  • In the case of the Post-download command, I think the -d is optional (because apparently decrypting is the default action); the "%INPUT_PATH" is not optional, however.
NOTE: Since GPG isn't our product, we cannot guarantee that this will work for every PGP/GPG application.

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730

Last edited by jdev; 05-19-2020 at 11:33 AM.
Old 05-19-2020, 02:57 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by berdmann View Post
Here's what works for me:
[/LIST]NOTE: Since GPG isn't our product, we cannot guarantee that this will work for every PGP/GPG application.
Perfect!

Your solution worked for me - I'm using gpg (GnuPG) 2.2.19.

The arcane syntax of GPG made it difficult to work out where I was going wrong.

I've saved the strings you've given, they work excellently.

Thank you
Old 05-19-2020, 03:46 PM

Hi ben.moore,

I am glad to hear that the commands worked for you with GnuPG 2.2.19! Thanks for letting us know!

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730