Welcome to the VanDyke Software Forums

Join the discussion today!

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > General

Old 08-02-2019, 07:44 AM

Prevent SecureCRT from Resizing Window?

Hello,

I use SecureCRT daily to manage my organization's routers, switches, and firewalls. Whenever there are no tabs open, and I open a new connection, the window resizes to whatever size is specified in the Terminal->Emulation->Size settings. Subsequent new connections don't resize the screen.

This behavior is extremely frustrating for me, as then I have to manually resize the window to whatever size I want. I could set that in the Size settings, but the size of the window that I want to use depends on A) all of the devices that I'm connected to, not just the first, and B) the other tasks that I'm working on in other windows at the time. If SecureCRT just left the size alone, that would be far more ideal.

I have tried the Terminal->Appearance->Window->Disable Resize option, but that only appears to disable *my* ability to resize the window (what is the point of that?).

Is there any way, be it native to SecureCRT or otherwise, to prevent the window from resizing on initial connection? I've spent quite a while searching, to no avail.

Thank you!
Old 08-02-2019, 08:15 AM
VanDyke Technical Support

Hi zender42,

You have to have a rows/columns configuration, agreed? It's the nature of a terminal emulator.
Quote:
Is there any way, be it native to SecureCRT or otherwise, to prevent the window from resizing on initial connection? I've spent quite a while searching, to no avail.
So what you dislike is the discrepancy between rows/columns of the application window with no sessions open and when there is a session connected.

Default Session is what provides the rows/columns configuration (Terminal / Emulation category) when no sessions are open.

You stated this:
Quote:
If SecureCRT just left the size alone, that would be far more ideal.
Which would mean you need to configure all sessions to match the dimensions of the empty application window (ie: Default Session). However, you already stated it would be difficult for you to standardize all sessions to be one configuration.

I think the solution for you is to configure Default Session only to provide dimensions on the empty application window that aren't as different from your saved sessions as is presently the case.

Here are some links to a tip and a video that provide more details about Default Session.

Quote:
Subsequent new connections don't resize the screen.
As a note, this is expected behavior due to the first tab always controls the font, rows and columns as is displayed in a dialog the first time you connect multiple tabs.

Attached Images
File Type: png First_Tab_Behavior.png (10.5 KB, 53 views)

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730
Old 08-02-2019, 09:51 AM
VanDyke Technical Support

Hi zender42,

As a note, I have added this thread to a feature request in our product enhancement database for an option for Window size to determine geometry when first tab is connected. Should a future release of SecureCRT include this feature, notification will be posted here.

If you prefer direct email notification, send an email to support@vandyke.com and include Feature Request - Forum Thread #13858 in the subject line or use this form from the support page of our website.

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730