Welcome to the VanDyke Software Forums

Join the discussion today!

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > SecureCRT on the Mac

Old 08-15-2017, 02:17 AM

SecureCRT 8.1 not honoring system-wide configuration of keyboard repetition rate

Hello,

just upgraded to 8.1.4 (from 7.5).

I notice that in shells opened by SecureCRT 8.1.4, the configuration of OS X (10.12.6, upgrade) preferences/keyboard/key press repetition (high) and delay (short) is not honored, meaning, changes there will not change behavior of SecureCRT. I am a very fast typer and need to do a lot in the shell and the slow keypresses and slow delay is driving me nuts, next to unusable.

It does not matter which system i connect to (obviously). I checked if i could find any setting which might be related but to no avail.

Can you please fix this ASAP or advice how i can set the parameters correctly?

Thankyou.

Last edited by cduerr; 08-15-2017 at 02:19 AM.
Old 08-15-2017, 10:36 AM
VanDyke Technical Support

Hi cduerr,

I'm sorry you're having trouble. There could be several things impacting your experience.

You've said you recently upgraded, have you rebooted the machine since the upgrade? We've had reports in the past of sluggish behavior that was corrected by simply rebooting.

Does this behavior present only in the terminal window or elsewhere as well? If you navigate to Options > Session Options > Connections and type in the Description field do you see the same behavior?

While in the terminal window SecureCRT only "draws" what you've typed after it's been sent to the remote system and the remote system echo's it back. This could introduce some network latency that seems to slow the response time when typing.

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730
Old 08-15-2017, 10:49 AM

Hello Eric,

many thanks for starting to investigate this with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekoranyi View Post
have you rebooted the machine since the upgrade?
yes

Quote:
Does this behavior present only in the terminal window or elsewhere as well?
no
Quote:
If you navigate to Options > Session Options > Connections and type in the Description field do you see the same behavior?
no

Quote:
While in the terminal window SecureCRT only "draws" what you've typed after it's been sent to the remote system and the remote system echo's it back. This could introduce some network latency that seems to slow the response time when typing.
i have no problems logging in to the same machines from Terminal.app and all machines exhibit the same behavior, only in SecureCRT 8.1.4, not in SecureCRT 7.5.

(Update: I need to correct myself: Impacted are only Ubuntu 12.04 LTS-machines but they would neither show the issue in SecureCRT 7.5, nor would they in Terminal. The worst effect is when using backspace. I use a normal Gigabit Ethernet LAN and have no apparent lags or speed issues.)

(Update2: I searched google for apparent issues with slow "echoing" when using Ubuntu 12.04 LTS but did not find any so far. Together with SecureCRT 7.5 and Terminal being OK, i am assuming, there must be something which 8.1.4 does differently. Again, the issue is with backspace mainly. I created a new quick connection with the same host from 8.1.4 and get same behavior.)

Last edited by cduerr; 08-15-2017 at 12:01 PM.
Old 08-15-2017, 03:16 PM

Hi cduerr,

Just so I am sure I understand correctly. SecureCRT is installed and being used on the Mac and you are connecting to Ubuntu when this issue occurs, is that correct?

Connecting to the same Ubuntu machine using either the previous version of SecureCRT or the native Terminal on Mac do not display the issue, correct?

Can you better help me understand what issue you are seeing when using backspace? If you press and hold a for example then press and hold backspace do they have the same repeat rate?

Is the issue present all the time or are there other factors that need to be in place to recreate the issue?

What protocol are you using for the connection?

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730
Old 08-16-2017, 11:37 AM

Hi Eric,
Quote:

Just so I am sure I understand correctly. SecureCRT is installed and being used on the Mac and you are connecting to Ubuntu when this issue occurs, is that correct?
correct

Quote:
Connecting to the same Ubuntu machine using either the previous version of SecureCRT or the native Terminal on Mac do not display the issue, correct?
correct. There are actually two machines, both of which are Ubuntu 12.04LTS

Quote:
Can you better help me understand what issue you are seeing when using backspace? If you press and hold a for example then press and hold backspace do they have the same repeat rate?
surprisingly, the repetition rate when using for example "1" is higher than when using backspace. The latter is as if it "does a step left, delete the character, sleep, do a step left, delete, sleep,...". I cannot explain it, it's just slow.
FYI: the connections SecureCRT 8.1.4 uses are exactly the same as in 7.5. It's an upgrade.

To give you an indication about the speed: if i just continue to press "1" for an arbitrary amount of columns, it takes 12s. Deleting the same amount using backspace took 24s. Repeating this simple test in a SecureCRT 8.1.4 connection to a Mac using ssh v2 yielded 12/12s.

Quote:
Is the issue present all the time or are there other factors that need to be in place to recreate the issue?
so far i was unable to not reproduce the behavior.

Quote:
What protocol are you using for the connection?
ssh v2

Last edited by cduerr; 08-16-2017 at 11:41 AM.
Old 08-16-2017, 12:37 PM

Hi cduerr,

It would be beneficial if I could review some more detailed "process level" information from when this issue is occurring.

I'm hoping you can take the below steps and send the resulting log to Support@VanDyke.com with "Attn: Eric Forum thread 12775" in the subject line.

1) Open a terminal window with the built-in Apple Terminal app.

2) Within the Terminal app, enter the following command at the shell prompt: sudo dtruss -an SecureCRT > ~/Desktop/SecureCRT_dtruss.txt 2>&1

The above command will prompt for your account password (sudo) so that the dtruss command will be able to run with highest privs, which is requires for proper dtruss operation. Once the command is running, you won't see any output (all command output is being redirected to a file on your Desktop named "SecureCRT_dtruss.txt").

3) Start SecureCRT and connect to a session. Once the problem has exhibited itself press Control-C in your Terminal window (the one that was running the dtruss command from step 2) to end the dtruss activity.

4) Send a copy of the "SecureCRT_dtruss.txt" file saved to your Desktop as an attachment to your reply.

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730
Old 11-19-2018, 08:59 AM

Experiencing the exact same issue on macOS 10.14.1. What was the outcome of the previous post?
Old 11-19-2018, 09:42 AM

Hi pingaq,

I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble. I don't believe we received the requested troubleshooting information. With that being the case, we did not make forward progress on resolving the issue.

Can you elaborate on the trouble that you're having? How is the problem presenting?

What version of SecureCRT are you running?

What Operating System is SecureCRT being run on?

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730
Old 11-19-2018, 10:54 AM

Exclamation

Hi,

Sure. Running SecureCRT 8.1.4 on MacOS 10.14.1.

The problem is basically the same as expressed by the previous poster: when backspace is pressed down, the rate at which the chars are deleted is slow, almost 1:2 time delay ratio in terms of "char entered:char deleted". I'm not experiencing the same issue across all servers I connect to. The server it's prevalent on is SunOS 5.11. Other servers are mainly CentOS or RHEL.

Moreover, I don't experience this issue from MacOS Terminal app.

Thanks
Old 11-19-2018, 01:03 PM

Hi pingaq,

We will likely need to pick up troubleshooting where we left off previously.

I'm hoping you can take the below steps and send the resulting log to Support@VanDyke.com with "Attn: Eric Forum thread 12775" in the subject line.

1) Open a terminal window with the built-in Apple Terminal app.

2) Within the Terminal app, enter the following command at the shell prompt: sudo dtruss -an SecureCRT > ~/Desktop/SecureCRT_dtruss.txt 2>&1

The above command will prompt for your account password (sudo) so that the dtruss command will be able to run with highest privs, which is requires for proper dtruss operation. Once the command is running, you won't see any output (all command output is being redirected to a file on your Desktop named "SecureCRT_dtruss.txt").

3) Start SecureCRT and connect to a session. Once the problem has exhibited itself press Control-C in your Terminal window (the one that was running the dtruss command from step 2) to end the dtruss activity.

4) Send a copy of the "SecureCRT_dtruss.txt" file saved to your Desktop as an attachment to your reply.

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730
Old 11-19-2018, 07:41 PM

dtruss sent.
Old 05-18-2019, 01:44 PM

any success?

Hi,

i did actually make the required captures but forgot to send them.

I recently updated to 8.3.4 and still have the same behavior.

It does not matter which machine i am connected to (i have a bunch of Linux, Mac and Windows machines) and it happens as well with university supplied logins. I may repeat that Mac Terminal.app does not suffer from the same behavior.
Old 05-20-2019, 08:42 AM

Hi cduerr,

Your last post was almost two years ago so please update us with versions of everything (including remote systems) and the undesirable behavior comparison rates vs Terminal.

Also, what specific macOS is SecureCRT 8.3.4 installed on?

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730