Welcome to the VanDyke Software Forums

Join the discussion today!

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > General

Notices

Old 05-02-2006, 03:43 PM

Question I want my MTV^H^H^H window menu!

I love tabs. I use them heavily when browsing and they're turning out to be quite nice in SecureCRT too.

But why did the window menu go away? I definitely miss this feature. Not every connection is going to be a tab in one loaded window (especially windows for a few really old apps that are looking for a 24 or 25 line screen). It was a big efficiency gain for us old-fashioned, keyboard-centric folks (you know, the kind of people who spend a lot of time hangin' out in terminal emulators).

Can I change a configuration setting or script something to get it back or do I have to consider giving up tabs and backing out my upgrade until the window menu comes back?

Thanks for an excellent app. Keep up the great work (and don't throw it away!).
Old 05-02-2006, 05:08 PM
VanDyke Customer Support

Hello briank.

I'm not sure what you mean.

Are you saying that after upgrading, you don't see the
SecureCRT menu that displays File, Edit, View, etc.?

If that is the case, are you in Full Screen Mode?

If you are, it will help you to know that the menu bar will
not be displayed when you are in Full Screen Mode. You can
toggle between Full Screen and regular view by pressing
Alt+Enter. If you are not in Full Screen Mode, but you
still can't see your menu bar, click on the small icon on
the top left corner of the window in the title bar to open
the dropdown menu, then choose "Toggle Menu Bar".

Does that help you?

Thank you

JJH
Old 05-02-2006, 07:32 PM
VanDyke Product Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by briank
I love tabs. I use them heavily when browsing and they're turning out to be quite nice in SecureCRT too.

But why did the window menu go away? I definitely miss this feature. Not every connection is going to be a tab in one loaded window (especially windows for a few really old apps that are looking for a 24 or 25 line screen). It was a big efficiency gain for us old-fashioned, keyboard-centric folks (you know, the kind of people who spend a lot of time hangin' out in terminal emulators).

Can I change a configuration setting or script something to get it back or do I have to consider giving up tabs and backing out my upgrade until the window menu comes back?

Thanks for an excellent app. Keep up the great work (and don't throw it away!).
Thanks for your question. It is possible to get the Window menu back. If you edit the default.mnu file, which is found in the Menus folder in the SecureCRT installation directory, add the following text between the Tools menu and the Help menu.

Code:
        POPUPMENU "&Window"
        MENUITEM "&Next", "MENU_WINDOW_NEXT"
		MENUITEM "&Previous", "MENU_WINDOW_PREV"
        MENUITEM "Close Al&l", "MENU_WINDOW_CLOSE_ALL"
		SEPARATOR
		MENUITEM "&1 Window 1", "MENU_WINDOW_LIST1"
        END
Then you will need to go to the Terminal page in the Global Options and set the custom menu and toolbar to use the new .mnu file.

Please let me know if you have any trouble getting this to work.

Maureen
Old 05-03-2006, 07:27 AM

Thumbs up

Yeah, that's the way to do it: Get your money for nothin' and your clicks for free!

That rocks my socks! Thank you, Maureen!
Old 05-03-2006, 10:21 AM

Closing tabs - MENU_CLOSE_TAB?

It would be nice to be able to clean out tabs for closed connections from the keyboard too.

Is there something like a "MENU_CLOSE_TAB" function, equivalent to the close tab button (red "X" in the tabs bar)?

I looked through "Customizing the User Interface" and "Menu Configuration Command Strings" in the help and nothing jumped out at me as being what I want.
Old 05-03-2006, 03:12 PM

Hi Briank,

This is possible and there are a couple of methods to map the ‘MENU_TAB_CLOSE’ function to a key combination.

The first would be in the session itself. This is done by pressing the desired combination of keys after clicking the 'Map a Key' button in the 'Mapped Keys' sub-category under 'Emulation' in the 'Session Options'.

Once the 'Map Selected Key' dialog appears, change the 'Function' to 'Menu Function and select ‘MENU_TAB_CLOSE’ option from the ‘Menu Function’ drop down field to the right of the 'Function' drop down. Just click ‘OK’ on all the dialogs to save this mapping.

The other option is to create a custom key map file but clicking the ‘Keymap Editor’ button in the main toolbar. This is useful if you want this key available in all sessions.

Here you can either press the ‘Map a Key’ button or select the keys on the screen and then click the ‘Map Selected Keys’ button. The ‘Map Selected Key’ dialog is identical. Once created just click OK and save the key mapping to a file.

Once created, this custom key mapped is used by selecting the ‘Select an alternate keyboard emulation’ option, changing the drop down option below this to ‘Custom’ and browsing to the location of the keymap file in the ‘Emulation’ sub-category under ‘Terminal’ in the ‘Session Options’.

Does this help?

Teresa

Teresa Nygren
Old 05-03-2006, 04:47 PM

Thumbs up

Yes, that helps... it tells me there's a MENU_TAB_CLOSE that I wasn't able to find in the documentation.

Although something like Ctrl-F4 might have made a good binding, I opted for a new popup menu, which doesn't require modifying every session and seemed less involved than modifying the keyboard emulation (maybe it's easier than it sounds; I didn't try it).

However, the key map idea did lead me to how to get to the current list of MENU functions.

I now have these additions in my default.mnu:

Code:
        POPUPMENU "T&ab"
                MENUITEM "&Next", "MENU_TAB_NEXT"
                MENUITEM "&Previous", "MENU_TAB_PREV"
                MENUITEM "Cl&ose", "MENU_TAB_CLOSE"
                MENUITEM "&Rename", "MENU_TAB_RENAME"
        END

POPUPMENU "&Window"
                MENUITEM "&Next", "MENU_WINDOW_NEXT"
                MENUITEM "&Previous", "MENU_WINDOW_PREV"
                MENUITEM "Close Al&l", "MENU_WINDOW_CLOSE_ALL"
                SEPARATOR
                MENUITEM "&1 Window 1", "MENU_WINDOW_LIST1"
        END
Thanks Teresa.
Old 05-04-2006, 09:33 AM

Hi Briank,

I'm glad that the information was helpful.

'Ctrl' + 'F4' is the default key mapping to close a tab in SecureCRT.

Is this not working?

Teresa

Teresa Nygren
Old 05-04-2006, 05:10 PM

It hasn't been, but it did when I changed my keyboard emulation from SCO ANSI (which I frequently need for an ERP application I use) to default.

I'm not sure if Ctrl-F4 is required to be passed for SCO ANSI (it seems to be sending "ESC [ n") or the binding just never got added to that emulation. Since there are bindings for F4, Ctrl-F4, and Shift-F4, I'm guessing it's the former.

I don't see anything for SCO ANSI in the Keymap directory, so I'm guessing it's defined internally.
Old 05-05-2006, 10:07 AM

Hi Briank,

'Ctrl' + 'F4' does have a special meaning when SCO-ANSI is used.

Since there were more then 12 function keys on a SCO-ANSI keyboard, 'Ctrl' plus the function key is used for those applications that need to use the high function key numbers

If you have never needed to use the higher function keys in your applications, you can map a key in the session to over-ride this key mapping. If a need does arise for this option, the mapping can be easily removed to allow the original function.

Teresa

Teresa Nygren