Welcome to the VanDyke Software Forums

Join the discussion today!

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > General

Old 05-29-2014, 09:47 AM

Angry Fix your upgrade process. Seriously.

I am kind of pissed right now.
For weeks now everytime I opened SecureCRT I get pestered to check for upgrades, which I don't want to do because I only open the program when I'm BUZY, as in leave me alone I have something I have to do!

So finally I go ahead and let it check for updates... Oh look a cool new update you just gotta have!! What-evs, fine, update so you'll leave me alone.

Click through do the updates nopw start my flipping Sessions... What? It needs me to put in the license again?

W-T-F!!!

I don't have that readily available! Now I have to piss away time looking for the @#$%ing license because your update isn't slick enough to capture that information?

Boy am I happy I pushed the company into buying a license for 70 users...
o_0

Last edited by BCismar; 05-29-2014 at 09:54 AM.
Old 05-29-2014, 12:22 PM
VanDyke Technical Support

Quote:
For weeks now everytime I opened SecureCRT I get pestered to check for upgrades, which I don't want to do because I only open the program when I'm BUZY, as in leave me alone I have something I have to do!
SecureCRT by default checks for updates every 30 days. Each time SecureCRT performs an update check, it records the date/time of the check in the Global.ini file located in SecureCRT's configuration folder:
D:"CRT Update Prompt Date"=538764fc
An option exists that will allow an individual to tell SecureCRT NOT to check for updates (see attached screenshot). If the Don't remind me again option is selected, SecureCRT records the individual's instructions to the Global.ini file located in SecureCRT's configuration folder:
D:"CRT Never Check For Updates"=00000001
If you continually see the prompt each time you start SecureCRT, it probably means that your configuration folder has a Global.ini file that may be marked as Read-Only, or is otherwise inaccessible for saving individual preferences associated with update checks (and other Global option settings).

If you want to have SecureCRT never check for updates (and you're sharing a configuration with multiple users), you could:
  1. Temporarily remove the read-only restrictions on the Global.ini so that you can make changes to it.
  2. Edit the Global.ini file to set the "CRT Never Check For Updates" to 00000001
  3. Save your changes to the Global.ini file
  4. Re-enable the read-only restrictions on the Global.ini file

Quote:
What? It needs me to put in the license again?
Regarding the license issue you encountered, SecureCRT (as a process running on your system) does not do away with prior license data. What might be at issue, however, is the way in which SecureCRT was licensed. If you licensed SecureCRT by placing a license file in the installation directory where SecureCRT.exe lives, it could explain why SecureCRT was not licensed after the upgrade process.

If you applied a license file as part of the initial install, you'll need to apply a license file for any updates as well.
Attached Images
File Type: png SCRT_CheckForUpdatesPrompt.png (12.8 KB, 215 views)
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/vandykesoftware
Email: support@vandyke.com
Web: https://www.vandyke.com/support